U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 2,586 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I are considering moving to Dayton, and one of the houses we're looking at is in the Grafton Hill neighborhood near the Dayton Art Institute Museum (456 Belmonte Park N, Dayton, OH 45405). We love the house and the area looks good at first glance (lots of parks, shops and other amenities in close proximity), but we're a bit turned off by the crime map of the area. Now, it's not violent crime... mostly petty theft, etc. but it's a bit more than we had hoped for.

The area where the house is located has several very large apartment buildings, so I understand that the crime statistics may be just a byproduct of having a very large concentration of people in a small area (especially young professionals and college kids). Having lived in apartments ourselves in our youth, my experience is that crime in such areas tends to be isolated to the apartment buildings themselves. People are far more likely to get mugged or robbed in the building itself than a block away. Criminals tend to be lazy and many crimes are simply crimes of opportunity.

Anyway, our question is very specific: for anyone familiar (or preferably living) in this area, how does it feel to you? Does it feel like a dangerous area or is it, as I've said, just a byproduct of having a fairly high population density, but it doesn't really spill out onto the streets all that often? Would you feel comfortable raising a family in Grafton Hill pretty close to the apartment buildings?

Last edited by Dracolique; 02-15-2016 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 04:38 PM

12,183 posts, read 10,141,526 times
Grafton Hill and nearby McPherson Park are very nice neighborhoods bordered by the higher-crime neighborhoods in Dayton to the north & west. I'd personally feel comfortable living there if I didn't have to worry about kids/schools, but you may have to look over your shoulder for visitors from nearby neighborhoods looking for trouble.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:59 PM

3,517 posts, read 3,913,651 times
^I'll +1 this sentiment.

Sending Amandarthegreat a DM might be a good route, she lives in neighboring Five Oaks. She doesn't frequent the board as much, but is an invaluable resource and probably would be more likely to see your questions in her email inbox than here.

Otherwise, Dracolique, I think you have a great understanding of the general character of the neighborhood overall already, and I honestly don't have much to add beyond your analysis and Natural510's. I would not say it is a dangerous neighborhood by any stretch of the imagination either.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2016, 06:01 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,083,540 times
This is the problem with Dayton. The few ruin it for everyone else. That area could/should be great, but it isn't. I wouldn't recommend it if you have kids, but others know more than me about that neighborhood.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,371 times
Dracolique
This is a very safe neighborhood, and friendly too. We have several families with young kids living near those buildings. I have forwarded this link to several of them And asked them to reply to your post. I noticed the previous postings did not claim to have any connection with this neighborhood. You probably want to hear from people who actually live here. Come meet us too...we have potlucks pretty much monthly. :-)

And we have an active neighborhood association...very much a community here. That can be hard to find in a suburb.

Last edited by JimInGrafton; 02-16-2016 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: forgot to add my last thought...

Old 02-16-2016, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
I live in Grafton Hill (Stoddard and Grand) and I have a 4 year old. He goes to the DPS Montessori school Rivers Edge and I have been very happy with that as a school option for him - great staff and a diverse group of students and involved parents.

I feel totally safe walking with him in the neighborhood in the day and evening - and playing at the park at the end of Stoddard. There are sometimes a few "characters" about, but the hospital being so close is a good deterrent in my side of the neighborhood, and the Grandview police patrol regularly in cars and on foot.

I had a minor theft during one guys "last chance to pillage the neighborhood before 3 strikes sentencing kicks in" rampage about 10 years ago, but nothing since. Fed ex has left packages at the door pretty often and never has anything gone missing - which never happened when I lived in a "good neighborhood" in Los Angeles!

My son and I have been to classmates' parties/playdates in several of the apartment buildings, and never felt ill at ease. There are some group home people that walk around the neighborhood in nice weather, and you do need to have your "oh, I see you are clearly crazy" radar up on the rare occasion - but more talk your ear off crazy than stab you with a spork crazy.

I have a good car alarm, and a good home alarm. The couple of times the alarm went off (had a dropping phone line issue for a while), the Dayton police have responded within 5-10 minutes.

I grew up in Huber, and I did NOT want to live in some developer suburb. We love being so close to downtown and all the things you mentioned, and we love our nearly 100 year old home and our large yard.

If you have spent any time in a major city, then the urban quirks of Grafton Hill should be pretty easy to deal with if you even notice them at all. If your life experience is Oakwood or Centerville-type neighborhoods exclusively, then yeah, you might be freaked out.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:31 PM

12,183 posts, read 10,141,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
This is the problem with Dayton. The few ruin it for everyone else.
That's true for any city, though. It's only the places with bad reps that have incidents magnified. In the Bay Area, a random crime is always magnified when it happens in Oakland or Richmond, but swept under the rug in San Francisco.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,083,540 times
Very true

Old 02-18-2016, 12:20 AM

211 posts, read 270,576 times
The Art Institute is one my favorite things about Dayton, period. I am sometimes envious of the people who live in the nice houses that are just a block or two away from there.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,371 times
Hi Dracolique
I think there will be a few more replies from other Grafton families with kids... and i would like to offer you a walking tour of the neighborhood. Please contact us at graftonhill@outlook.com. We will have several people on hand so you can get a variety of perspectives. Not sure which house you are considering but we should have people with insight into that particular spot.
Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or