Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Skyline
Dayton,OH 3 33.33%
Louisville KY 6 66.67%
Toledo,OH 0 0%
Lexington,KY 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:33 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,437,003 times

Advertisements

Agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 06:55 PM

7,074 posts, read 16,654,165 times
Come on now. Louisville is by far the biggest city in this comparison and it's skyline blows the others out of the water. The "domed" building is not the only reason. Louisville has a building under construction right now that is taller than any in these other cities alone.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:11 PM

74 posts, read 93,214 times
Do you ever notice whenever a picture is trying to portray a city in a favorable way water is usually used in the foreground? Look at some of the pictures used in the articles for Americas most livable cities. Water is often used because it enhances the image of the city. Water equals aesthetics. Analyzing the four cities in question, I would have to say Louisville has the best skyline because it is the prettiest picture. The juxtaposition of the city to the water is very strong and allows the buildings to reflect off the water perceptually doubling the size of the city. This is not the best picture I have seen of Louisville. I have seen one with the buildings strongly reflecting off the water and with The Belle of Louisville sternwheeler boat in the foreground. The big boats on the river along with the all the lights and buildings reflecting off the water conveys an image of Louisville as an exciting and dynamic city.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman71 View Post
Do you ever notice whenever a picture is trying to portray a city in a favorable way water is usually used in the foreground? Look at some of the pictures used in the articles for Americas most livable cities. Water is often used because it enhances the image of the city. Water equals aesthetics. Analyzing the four cities in question, I would have to say Louisville has the best skyline because it is the prettiest picture. The juxtaposition of the city to the water is very strong and allows the buildings to reflect off the water perceptually doubling the size of the city. This is not the best picture I have seen of Louisville. I have seen one with the buildings strongly reflecting off the water and with The Belle of Louisville sternwheeler boat in the foreground. The big boats on the river along with the all the lights and buildings reflecting off the water conveys an image of Louisville as an exciting and dynamic city.
True...but this "money shot" does not even show a fraction of the downtown buildings.

Neither does this one:

http://www.skylinescenes.com/largeIm...ne_06_5628.jpg

But you can see that Louisville's skyline is like Dayton and Lexington combined. Louisville has suburban buildings, when combined, would equal the skyline of Toledo or Lexington.

http://www.skylinescenes.com/largeIm...ne_08_8431.jpg

This is actually an unfair comparison. Louisville actually has one of the top 100 or so tallest skylines in the WORLD in its top 10 buildings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...st_skyscrapers

Louisville will tie with Taipai and Brussels by 2018 in this statistic.

Last edited by Peter1948; 05-20-2016 at 08:25 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 08:16 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,131,410 times
Haha nice thread! Probably would have been a bit less biased to post in the OH or KY sub forums, or even the general US, but I like it here.

I'm biased so I picked Dayton but from an outside perspective viewed only from the traditional vantage points Toledo would win hands down, followed by Dayton, then Louisville, then Lexington.

Toledo has great balance, a nice waterfront setting, and an awesome mix of architectural styles the other three cities don't match from their "traditional" vantage point. Dayton gets second best from the traditional view (viewed from the south looking north) but the view looking south to the city from the north blows the others away! The riverfront paired with the sharp delineation Kettering tower brings to define the skyline from the warehouses to the east along with the gradual decline back into the curvature of the river to the west is very aesthetically pleasing. Caresource brings in a strong element of new while Liberty Tower, The Biltmore, etc. define the old. The skyline also has a good deal of density which places like Lexington lack.

Louisville would get third because it lacks the waterfront features (the OH River is poorly juxtaposed with the city compared to Toledo and Dayton, no depth is added) and when fully viewed the YUM center is out of scale in comparison.

Then again, this is all just opinion. We are lucky to have as many great cities as we do in this area.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Haha nice thread! Probably would have been a bit less biased to post in the OH or KY sub forums, or even the general US, but I like it here.

I'm biased so I picked Dayton but from an outside perspective viewed only from the traditional vantage points Toledo would win hands down, followed by Dayton, then Louisville, then Lexington.

Toledo has great balance, a nice waterfront setting, and an awesome mix of architectural styles the other three cities don't match from their "traditional" vantage point. Dayton gets second best from the traditional view (viewed from the south looking north) but the view looking south to the city from the north blows the others away! The riverfront paired with the sharp delineation Kettering tower brings to define the skyline from the warehouses to the east along with the gradual decline back into the curvature of the river to the west is very aesthetically pleasing. Caresource brings in a strong element of new while Liberty Tower, The Biltmore, etc. define the old. The skyline also has a good deal of density which places like Lexington lack.

Louisville would get third because it lacks the waterfront features (the OH River is poorly juxtaposed with the city compared to Toledo and Dayton, no depth is added) and when fully viewed the YUM center is out of scale in comparison.

Then again, this is all just opinion. We are lucky to have as many great cities as we do in this area.
Agreed this needs to be in the general forum. An objective view is Louisville wins hands down by height, beauty, number of high-rises, true skyscrapers, etc. At least you admitted your homerism and opinions are good!

Old 05-21-2016, 07:46 AM

74 posts, read 93,214 times
Peter 1948 - did you check out the dollar lot? I am told it is still there.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman71 View Post
Peter 1948 - did you check out the dollar lot? I am told it is still there.
no but thank you

Old 05-22-2016, 10:56 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,291,903 times
Why isn't Cincinnati an option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton