Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 08:43 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,741,785 times

Advertisements

I shall no longer read the online edition of the Dayton Daily News.

It's assumed the "new version" may appeal to many, but in my opinion even the facebook page is better. It took me like a half hour to find the obituaries and I never did find the search bar.

So, opinions, please, on an online news source. If anyone matches what I'm looking at, that'll be it for me.

And, just out of curiosity, what does the print edition look like now? (There ain't any where I am.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 01:28 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,438,536 times
I found the search function (top right corner) in less than 2 seconds. It is where almost all search functions are. It also took me less than 2 seconds to find the other thing (scroll over news) that took you a while. It was as simple as can be.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I found the search function (top right corner) in less than 2 seconds. It is where almost all search functions are. It also took me less than 2 seconds to find the other thing (scroll over news) that took you a while. It was as simple as can be.
Thank you.... I was looking for a search bar, not a magnifying glass. My Firefox magnifying glass is for "Find on this page" and when such is for searches, there's a thingy there where you type in what you want, which is not the case with the new DDN -- you have to hit the magnifying glass to get it.

(Firefox has one of those squared off lines things, too, to denote menu. The likes of "Print" and "Full Screen" was also not what I was looking for.)

Do appreciate your input. It's nice to have knowing someones around.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:48 PM

You're welcome. I don't use Firefox, so I'm not sure what that looks like. I like the new format now that I am used to it.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
You're welcome. I don't use Firefox, so I'm not sure what that looks like. I like the new format now that I am used to it.
Well, look it over sometime. You may like it, if for no other reason then because it's one of those volunteer-y things. Of the four browsers I have installed, it's the one I normally use. Ad blocker is nice. Save to Pocket for later look is handy. Keeps my 500 or so bookmarks in order.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:42 PM

Cool

Old 10-09-2016, 08:57 PM

7,057 posts, read 8,889,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
It took me like a half hour to find the obituaries.
It took me two seconds, move your cursor to the NEWS link and a drop down menu appears, click on obituaries.

I use the www.whio.com site and also have the iPhone app.

Attached Thumbnails
What's The Best Online News Source In Town?-ddn.jpg  

Old 10-10-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
It took me two seconds, move your cursor to the NEWS link and a drop down menu appears, click on obituaries.

I use the www.whio.com site and also have the iPhone app.
What comes up for me looks NOTHING like your screen shot.

Dayton, Ohio, News and Information

And, what I get is what anyone else using the online basic web address gets.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:30 PM

So far Channel 22 seems to fill the bill best.

Any helpful opinions?

(For Cincinnati I lean toward WLWT, Channel 5.)

Old 10-10-2016, 07:27 PM

41,811 posts, read 74,858,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Thank you.... I was looking for a search bar, not a magnifying glass.
If found it in two seconds as well.

Click on the magnifying glass at the top right of the page (NOT the top of your browser) and it expands into a bar you can type into.

Not sure how it could get any simpler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton