Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 14,221 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to southern Ohio. We were born, raised, and currently live in southeastern Michigan. While we enjoy the water and beauty of Michigan, a business venture calls us to southern Ohio. Is there any insight you can share about the lifestyle, atmosphere, and schools in the area? We are currently looking at Miamisburg but are open to surrounding/bordering areas.
We are a young couple with two children and really want an area where our family can meet other young people and easily mesh with the community.
Any insight you can give would be GREATLY appreciated. It doesn't sound like a big move, but for us it would be.
THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 14,221 times
Default Please Help

I noticed some people were looking at my post but not replying. Please help us out if you have any information. We need to make a decision soon & are really struggling. Michigan's economy is REALLY struggling due to the auto industry, but it still is a tough call to make.

THANK YOU

Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
The only Miamisburg i know of is near Toledo. Sorry can't help ya. Hopefully someone else can.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 AM

313 posts, read 1,195,337 times
Sorry, I don't know anything about southern Ohio. But I do know that the move across the border from MI to OH is a big barrier in my mind. We too have small children and are very concerned about trying to fit in to a community where we'll know no one. I don't even have a person to put as an emergency contact on the forms for school. We're moving to the Findlay area, which seems nice. I wish you luck, wherever you land!

Old 02-27-2008, 02:53 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Sorry, OhioBound. I try to help everyone out that needs it. I know a lot about the country, as I travel a lot due to my career path, and I just like to travel, meet new people and see new places. I know a lot of people from Michigan that live in Ohio. Esp around me here in Rocky River/Bay Village/Avon Lake, Ohio west of Cleveland.

Miamisburg is a very progressive town. It is right a long the Miami River, close to Dayton, and not a far drive from Cincinnati, and is also a close drive to Columbus. So you have a large city about 30 minutes away, and two even larger cities with a couple hours. Cincinnati is actually under an hour depending on traffic. Shopping is great in Dayton, The Green is a new shopping center that they are building in the Dayton Metro area, it is a new large and upscale shopping center. Dayton is largely based on the military with the Wright/Patterson AFB located just east of downtown. Dayton just like many other Ohio metros has a great park system, and Miamisburg is also close to Kings Island Theme Park. SW Ohio is not doing too bad economically. Of course the whole nation is suffering right now, but Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati all have unemployment rates under 6%. Compare that to SE Michigan metros of over 8-14%. SW Ohio has a lot to offer.

If you need anymore help, I will try my best.

Miamisburg:
The City of Miamisburg

Old 02-27-2008, 05:23 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Hi there!!! Sorry - didn't see your post before this. I don't generally check the general "ohio" thread, but stick to Cincinnati.

I am a recent SE Michigan transplant, as of May 2007. I worked/lived in Ann Arbor area, but my company decided to pull out. So opportunity knocked - and it was a Buckeye!

I don't know about the Miamisburg area specifically. I will say that the Dayton/Cincinnati area is geographically beautiful. No, not the big lakes we're used to, but a lot of lovely rolling hills - and TREES. I thought all of Ohio was farmland, but once you get into the hills its all forests!! Oh - one draw back, there seem to be deer popping out at you left and right!! LOL. Haven't hit one yet though, knock on wood.

My coworker lives in Dayton - and really loves the Kettering/Beavercreek area (near where the shopping mall - the Green - that Traveler talked about is located). I am living in a North Cinci suburb - about halfway btw Cinci and Dayton.

By the way - Dayton / Cinci about = Ann Arbor / Detroit. About a 50 mile split between them.

A lot of German heritage down here, big Oktoberfest celebrations down in Cinci and across the river in N. Kentucky. Lots of festivals in the parks during good weather in general, as a matter of fact.

People are very friendly.. there's a bit of a "southern" vibe down here that was a little unexpected to me. My previous Ohio experience was Toledo to Cleveland, and was suprised this is as SOUTH as it is. But, you can understand the drawl.. its just a little odd to hear it.

Anyway - so far for me a good move. My husband is just transfering down this next week (YAY) - we sold our house in MI finally (at a loss, of course!). The economy seems way better down here, and the housing market, while down a little is not in free fall. Plus, houses never got as expensive as the SE MI area, so you can buy a lot more!!

Good luck with your decision..!! If I can answer anything specific, lemme know!

Old 02-27-2008, 05:35 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Hi there!!! Sorry - didn't see your post before this. I don't generally check the general "ohio" thread, but stick to Cincinnati.

I am a recent SE Michigan transplant, as of May 2007. I worked/lived in Ann Arbor area, but my company decided to pull out. So opportunity knocked - and it was a Buckeye!

I don't know about the Miamisburg area specifically. I will say that the Dayton/Cincinnati area is geographically beautiful. No, not the big lakes we're used to, but a lot of lovely rolling hills - and TREES. I thought all of Ohio was farmland, but once you get into the hills its all forests!! Oh - one draw back, there seem to be deer popping out at you left and right!! LOL. Haven't hit one yet though, knock on wood.

My coworker lives in Dayton - and really loves the Kettering/Beavercreek area (near where the shopping mall - the Green - that Traveler talked about is located). I am living in a North Cinci suburb - about halfway btw Cinci and Dayton.

By the way - Dayton / Cinci about = Ann Arbor / Detroit. About a 50 mile split between them.

A lot of German heritage down here, big Oktoberfest celebrations down in Cinci and across the river in N. Kentucky. Lots of festivals in the parks during good weather in general, as a matter of fact.

People are very friendly.. there's a bit of a "southern" vibe down here that was a little unexpected to me. My previous Ohio experience was Toledo to Cleveland, and was suprised this is as SOUTH as it is. But, you can understand the drawl.. its just a little odd to hear it.

Anyway - so far for me a good move. My husband is just transfering down this next week (YAY) - we sold our house in MI finally (at a loss, of course!). The economy seems way better down here, and the housing market, while down a little is not in free fall. Plus, houses never got as expensive as the SE MI area, so you can buy a lot more!!

Good luck with your decision..!! If I can answer anything specific, lemme know!
Glad to hear you are enjoying Ohio! Cincinnati/Dayton are a great area to be living in. Actually about the housing market, I know it sucks right now , but SW Ohio is doing well in this category. I just made a thread about the most affordable markets, and while checking some other of forbe's list I noticed Cincinnati and Columbus came in as the most stable markets in the country (top 10). Cincinnati was #6 and Columbus was #5.

Being from NE Ohio I have noticed a much more southern lifestyle in Cincinnati/Dayton. I like it though because it is not true southern, but you get that feel. Cincinnati is a bustling city with a lot going on. Billions in new development. If you ever get the chance, check out Fountain Square right in the middle of downtown. An ice skating rink was just put in, a new large screen was put on top of Macy Inc's HQs. Lots of new restaurants and shopping have went in too.

Also, Ohio has a very diverse landscape. We have one of the best state and metro park systems in the country. Check out the other thread, Hocking Hills State Park in SE Ohio, just south of Columbus, great views. Cleveland is home to the only national park in a metro of over 3 million people. You just have to explore.

Glad to hear things are going well for you, and wish you the best of luck as time goes on.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Miamisburg is a quaint suburb to the south of Dayton off of I-75. The lifestyle in Miamisburg is probably as suburban as anywhere else in suburban Dayton. It has a beautiful downtown area that I believe saw some recent restoration. I sure hope I'm thinking of the right suburb. But it's mostly old buildings two to three stories tall on a Main St. Most of Miamisburg's (and its township's) commercial activity is along Oh725 and OH741 around the Dayton Mall. The rest of Miamisburg is centered around suburban lifestyles of the car, family, and schools.

Miamisburg schools are facing an overcrowding problem (a good problem if you want to see it that way) and are trying to pass a bond issue to build new facilities. I believe Miamisburg schools are rated excellent per Ohio's State Board of Education standards. Locally, they are known in sports for wrestling.

Some border communities that I would recommend are Spingboro, Ohio and Centerville, Ohio. Both are a little more on the pricey side, but I think they offer even more of a suburban lifestyle if that is what you want. For a more rural edge, I'd try Germantown to the west and south of Miamisburg.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:07 AM

88 posts, read 408,113 times
I lived in Miamisburg for several years. It has a small town feel in the downtown area. It is typically more blue collar than Centerville and the other suburbs The downtown area has alot of older victorian homes. The schools are good, and crime is relatively low. The property taxes are alot less than some of the surrounding communities.

There also used to be some good pizza places there too.

plenty of restarants in the surrounding area.

Anything else you would like to know, just ask.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:09 AM

88 posts, read 408,113 times
Also there is alot of southern/appalachian influence there as many people moved up from Kentucky,Tennessee and WV during the 50's and 60's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton