U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:15 PM

430 posts, read 447,451 times

Advertisements

One thing that continually baffles me is this 'cult of negativity' surrounding anything to do with Dayton. Check out any of the FB groups dedicated to Dayton, the comment section of any of the news outlets or even here; anytime something positive happens in Dayton, a coalition of naysayers immediately descend upon the story/post to find anything--no matter how insignificant--to drag down the discussion. I've never seen anything like it.

Yes, those of us who choose to live here understand that Dayton had a bad period, but Dayton is in no way unique in that experience. Is Dayton perfect? Of course not. It is not, however, on the same level as Flint or Gary or Oakland or Baltimore. Is this overwhelming lack of perspective/reality a recent result of marketing by the surrounding cities? Or is it just part of the Dayton 'culture'? There have been several articles over the years detailing how banks are hesitant to loan money to investors that focus on Dayton because of the image acting contrary to the reality, so why continue to push this image of an urban hellscape at the expense of the region at large?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:26 PM

135 posts, read 91,942 times
This is common for a lot of cities. My wife is from Buffalo, New York, and if you want to talk about a city with a perception problem... The thing is, they're actually doing a lot to bring the city back (much like Dayton), but some people are never happy. Even when revitalization efforts succeed, they just complain about higher taxes. I think it's just life on the internet. All the other boards I read are like that. If you look at Ohio State sports message boards, everyone is up in arms about firing Thad Matta. One post I saw said "I've been watching OSU basketball for forty years, and I've never seen a team this bad". Really? Because I've only been watching for twenty, and I can name at least five years where they were downright terrible. People just need to complain, I guess, and the internet gives them a public forum to do it. Look on the bright side: there are people who don't like Dayton on this board, but there are also people like SWOH and Wright Flyer who are truly knowledgeable and helpful.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:14 AM

3,514 posts, read 3,780,583 times
^Thank you for the kind words, kevinbelt!

I'd agree... the easiest indication of this to me is reading comments on Hamilton Journal-News articles.
Hamilton has had an astounding amount of redevelopment success over the past 5-6 years, even the perception of the city among Miami students is really changing (I know from attending Miami 2010-2016).

The comments would have you believe otherwise, in large part. There are some more positive comments though....

I think a lot of people get mad when they see other people, places, etc. doing better than them. In turn, they become defeatist and angry. Hillbilly Elegy is a great insight into the mentality, written by a guy from Middletown (which has not been anywhere near as fortunate as Hamilton recently).

Old 02-18-2017, 05:52 PM

1,614 posts, read 595,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
One thing that continually baffles me is this 'cult of negativity' surrounding anything to do with Dayton. Check out any of the FB groups dedicated to Dayton, the comment section of any of the news outlets or even here; anytime something positive happens in Dayton, a coalition of naysayers immediately descend upon the story/post to find anything--no matter how insignificant--to drag down the discussion. I've never seen anything like it.

Yes, those of us who choose to live here understand that Dayton had a bad period, but Dayton is in no way unique in that experience. Is Dayton perfect? Of course not. It is not, however, on the same level as Flint or Gary or Oakland or Baltimore. Is this overwhelming lack of perspective/reality a recent result of marketing by the surrounding cities? Or is it just part of the Dayton 'culture'? There have been several articles over the years detailing how banks are hesitant to loan money to investors that focus on Dayton because of the image acting contrary to the reality, so why continue to push this image of an urban hellscape at the expense of the region at large?
Yes, and many seem to believe that Dayton is the only city in the nation that suffers from the problems that is has.
And that to stop at a store there is to take your life into your own hands.
In my experience these are mainly suburbanites with very little to no personal experience with the inner city whose perceptions are shaped almost entirely by the crime reports on the evening news and by the viewpoints of those around them who also fit this description.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:47 PM

11,784 posts, read 9,705,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Yes, and many seem to believe that Dayton is the only city in the nation that suffers from the problems that is has.
And that to stop at a store there is to take your life into your own hands.
In my experience these are mainly suburbanites with very little to no personal experience with the inner city whose perceptions are shaped almost entirely by the crime reports on the evening news and by the viewpoints of those around them who also fit this description.
Most people in the Miami Valley are from here and never left to live somewhere else, so they believe the problems here are much more magnified than they really are. It also doesn't help like 90% of the people watch WHIO with its insistence on reporting every single crime which happens in SW Ohio.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:57 PM

6,817 posts, read 4,408,035 times
By my reckoning, Dayton is somewhat above-average for a second-tier city in the Midwest/Plains/Appalachia/South. It’s made admirable effort to endure (in some aspects even to thrive) in the post-industrial economy, wracked so utterly by changes inscrutable and abrupt. But there’s only so much that could be done by any one city, through governance or civic spirit or whatever else. While comparisons to Flint or Gary are risible, Dayton can not become another Ann Arbor, let alone another Chicago.

Some of us relocated to this region for career-purposes. We are not native to the region. That already speaks to something appealing about Dayton. Were there no such appeal for our employers, we’d not have had to relocate here. I have been here for decades, because of my job. Otherwise I’d rather be in a major city on one of the coasts – where I grew up, or pursued my education. I have spent my career burdened by a feeling of deployment… as if I were deployed (in the expeditionary military sense) to Dayton, to perform a mission here, and then hopefully to return home upon completion of said mission. Whether that return becomes possible, and when, remains doubtful. Thus one has to embrace the locale for what it is, rather than as some temporary irritation to be endured…. So, yes, a revision of attitude.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:37 PM

15,561 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Most people in the Miami Valley are from here and never left to live somewhere else, so they believe the problems here are much more magnified than they really are. It also doesn't help like 90% of the people watch WHIO with its insistence on reporting every single crime which happens in SW Ohio.
So how many members of the service or government contractors have rotated through Dayton? How many health care professionals from elsewhere have landed in Dayton? How about university professors and students?

Old 02-19-2017, 07:23 PM

11,784 posts, read 9,705,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
So how many members of the service or government contractors have rotated through Dayton? How many health care professionals from elsewhere have landed in Dayton? How about university professors and students?
Some, but compared to most metros of any size, the population is mostly stagnant and homegrown. Especially away from the AFB.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:41 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,747,512 times
"Or is it just part of the Dayton 'culture'? There have been several articles over the years detailing how banks are hesitant to loan money to investors that focus on Dayton because of the image acting contrary to the reality, so why continue to push this image of an urban hellscape at the expense of the region at large?"

I was one of those negative Dayton people but I think the city is actually doing a lot better, particularly the close-in-to-downtown areas. A lot of projects have been announced or are about to happen. Things that I never thought would happen (like renovating that old power station on E Third) are under development. Yeah there are still issues with neighborhood decline in outlying areas, etc, but still not "Little Detroit".

I'm sort of tired/bored with this entire negative thing and have moved on from that POV. Dayton isn't the place I would like, but I like what it does have and see there is progress.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:28 PM

1,007 posts, read 906,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
"Or is it just part of the Dayton 'culture'? There have been several articles over the years detailing how banks are hesitant to loan money to investors that focus on Dayton because of the image acting contrary to the reality, so why continue to push this image of an urban hellscape at the expense of the region at large?"

I was one of those negative Dayton people but I think the city is actually doing a lot better, particularly the close-in-to-downtown areas. A lot of projects have been announced or are about to happen. Things that I never thought would happen (like renovating that old power station on E Third) are under development. Yeah there are still issues with neighborhood decline in outlying areas, etc, but still not "Little Detroit".

I'm sort of tired/bored with this entire negative thing and have moved on from that POV. Dayton isn't the place I would like, but I like what it does have and see there is progress.
Still love the username! :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or