Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 04:47 AM

247 posts, read 363,735 times

Advertisements

In case you guys don't remember my circumstances from my previous post, my husband and I are both military soon to be stationed at WPAFB. Our house hunting is next week, and we've been doing a lot of research into the areas we're most interested in (Beavercreek, Tipp City, Bellbrook, Kettering, not in any particular order).

However, some local friends just recommended Germantown, where they live. We'd never really considered it before, but a cursory glance tells me it has a lot of what we want as far as feel of the place goes. And obviously we would already have friends there. A couple things popped up on my radar, though. One is the distance to WPAFB. It's right at the edge of our comfort zone as far as drive time goes. Forty-five minutes was the longest we were thinking, and we were hoping closer to thirty. Does anyone know of any regular traffic issues that would make the commute longer?

The other thing kind of worrying me is the schools, Valley View Local. They seem okay, but at least on Great Schools there's a large disparity between the elementary and high schools, which have top ratings, and the middle school, which has a very low rating. Does anyone here have inside info on these schools? Am I worrying for nothing, or are my concerns justified? Unfortunately our friends' kid is too young for them to have much info on this.

Also, does anyone have any other pros/cons they can share for Germantown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 01:24 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Expect heavy traffic on 4, 35 and 75. If you are commuting during normal commuter times, I expect you travel time to be at least an hour.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:55 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Valley View Schools are small(er) but are good. I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids there if I had kids.

Some smaller districts have hit or miss grades due to having a small pool of teachers. The school where I graduated from had very similar issues with its middle school, the teachers were nice but they were all new so it was a bit of a struggle. A great high school experience and great set of high schools teachers made up for it.

In the case of Valley View, I'm not sure. It might be worth visiting the school and meeting 1-2 of the middle school teachers if you have some time.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:01 AM

As for the commute.... it might be long from Germantown, but there are good alternate routes if you needed to use them that wouldn't add to much to your 40-min average commute from there.

Again, I don't know how long it takes to get on base though... that's be something that needs to be added into your daily commute on top of the 40min. I know with my job it's a 40-45min drive and I figure an additional 15 min to walk across the parking lot, get through security, etc (I do not work on base). And a 1-hour commute each way is a drag.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:02 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Be interesting to hear your opinions of the area after you actually see it during yr house hunting.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:36 PM

247 posts, read 363,735 times
Hey, guys! Thanks for the opinions. It's been a crazy few days of house hunting. We did like the feel of Germantown, but we decided the drive was really more than we were willing to make, mostly because the more rural route made the distance feel almost double. Also, that area where you hit 35 going north is STILL under construction. I'm almost positive the same area was under construction in 2012.

The house we looked at there was nice and a new build spec house, but ultimately we decided it was too small to make the drive worth it. It'll be a nice weekend drive to Germantown to see friends, but we wouldn't want to do it every day.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merewenc View Post
Also, that area where you hit 35 going north is STILL under construction. I'm almost positive the same area was under construction in 2012..
Ha! Yeah, I was born in the early '90's and some of my earliest memories are in the back of my parent's minivan riding through construction on 75 through downtown. It has never ended...

So yeah, if you really want to be like a local you'll have to master the art of driving 70mph through a 45mph construction on a lane slanted into a concrete median wall while texting and drinking some kind of large Speedway drink

As for the rest... probably a wise idea to skip Germantown for working at WPAFB. Good luck with the decision though! Any questions about other communities around the area?

Old 04-13-2017, 01:19 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Thanks for the follow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton