Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 04:34 AM

14,640 posts, read 14,512,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
To an extent, isn't it rather like taking care of babies?
Babies are much easier...they don't make a lifestyle of manipulation and usually don't require five people to hold them down.
Older people with dementia, OTOH, are very childlike and I often use the same phrases with them as I do at home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 06:02 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,736,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Babies are much easier...they don't make a lifestyle of manipulation and usually don't require five people to hold them down.
Older people with dementia, OTOH, are very childlike and I often use the same phrases with them as I do at home
A bit off topic.... Your OTOH may be personal information I happen to need. Nursing should relate to the patient (like good customer service) not vice versa. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:06 PM

aaand that's my cue to exit the thread.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
aaand that's my cue to exit the thread.
Gosh, I hope not.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Gosh, I hope not.
Sorry, I took your comment the wrong way. Anything I can do to help, let me know.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I took your comment the wrong way. Anything I can do to help, let me know.

Being as I'm 81, I live in a "senior retirement community" (the kind of place originally called "the old folks' home"). I can't say I understand all of the residents.

As needed, I have had in home nursing care provided by agencies (franchises) -- Medicare, not Medicaid, paid. One in ten "nurses" seemed to be of a mind to provide patient care (and I think I'm fairly coherent). I've survived due to the "ones," not the all tens.

For one choice matter, understand I stand at about 5'10" and weigh maybe 135-40, and a nurse practitioner (yet) put me down as "obese" and the next 3-4 didn't change it. When people present for some kind of physical purpose don't even see the shape of a person, it's unlikely they'll notice anything else.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:56 AM

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. I do feel there is less accountability in home care (as opposed to a hospital environment, with its many sets of eyes). It requires the provider to make a point to be diligent, while not so good nurses can skirt by with what they consider an "easy job". A client such as yourself who can speak up for themselves is in a better position that those who may be loners, or invalid with family who don't look out for them like they should. Those folks tend to skip through the cracks, in which case they have quite a sad backstory by the time they teach us.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. I do feel there is less accountability in home care (as opposed to a hospital environment, with its many sets of eyes). It requires the provider to make a point to be diligent, while not so good nurses can skirt by with what they consider an "easy job". A client such as yourself who can speak up for themselves is in a better position that those who may be loners, or invalid with family who don't look out for them like they should. Those folks tend to skip through the cracks, in which case they have quite a sad backstory by the time they teach us.

To get more back on topic here....

While the opening story by WKEF is there, I didn't go checking for a lot of particulars. The "old folks' home" underfoot is nearly on the south bank of the Ohio river, so the first news source I check is WLWT as it tends to be both simplified and regional. They have pitched out several stories recently of man and woman both OD with child left to shift for itself. And, as stated Channel 5 tends to be regional, so they were just "somewhere around."

What those amount to, it seems, is family situations.
They've got a kid, but apparently they still don't see a reason to live a sustaining life.
One might expect that of a loner social outcast, and while there might be some of those in Trotwood, surely there couldn't be that many. I'm a loner without interested family, and I understand some of the problems there, like even if one is able-bodied it's very difficult to maintain a job and a home at the same time.

Natural510, I try to maintain two blogs, and I'm sending you links by private message if you want some old folks thoughts and old folks' home ideas. One especially is everyday stuff.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
What those amount to, it seems, is family situations.[/b] They've got a kid, but apparently they still don't see a reason to live a sustaining life.[/color] One might expect that of a loner social outcast, and while there might be some of those in Trotwood, surely there couldn't be that many. I'm a loner without interested family, and I understand some of the problems there, like even if one is able-bodied it's very difficult to maintain a job and a home at the same time.
Addicts' mindsets revolve completely around getting the drug, especially opioid addicts. Everyone or everything around them are either a means to getting high, or just taking up space. For most of them, the pull of the addiction is stronger than basic human instincts, like parental instinct or even hunger. Plus you have to factor in the weakness of personality that causes people to turn to drugs in the first place...

Old 08-10-2017, 08:17 PM

There's a huge mass of stuff in here about Montgomery county.

Here, heroin spares no one, not even the sheriff's wife

It's kind of in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton