Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:47 PM

13,579 posts, read 9,601,334 times

Advertisements

There are many compelling reasons to relocate to Ohio, and especially to an up-and-coming city like Columbus. Where I dissent, is in the assertion that Dayton offers particular promise overall. To some people doubtless it does. But not overall.

To me, the South offers one particular benefit: lower state/local income taxes. This is especially important to people who derive most of their income from investments. There is of course a tradeoff, in the sense of fewer services, in exchange for lower taxes. But for persons without children, who live in rural circumstances and who don’t much partake of city amenities, the tradeoff isn’t too bad.

As I posted before, let’s hearken back to the situation in America roughly 16 years ago. Given those events, one might have surmised that the New York Cities and the DCs would thin out. Security, traffic, high prices… all pushing people out. Internet-enabled decentralization and telecommuting… all drawing people towards the hinterlands. I was under the impression that the second-tier cities in the Midwest and the South, would benefit from an influx of economic migrants… young people working from home, on their laptops, looking for cheaper housing and more bike-paths and so forth. But that didn’t happen. Instead, the glamour cities became even more glamorous, and the Rustbelt became even more rusty. I don’t mean this as a criticism of the Rustbelt; on the contrary, I’m genuinely baffled as to why places that were already expensive and unaccommodating became even more so, while places like Dayton remained underappreciated.

Do these trends offer hope of reversal? My own personal disaffection notwithstanding, I sincerely hope that Warren is right, and that the Dayton of 2040 will more resemble the Dayton of 1940, than that of say 2005 (or whatever was the city’s nadir).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 04:34 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,131,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Makes me wonder? Is that why Stranger Things is set in 1980's Indiana? Is the west coast only able to imagine the Midwest circa 1984?

(LOL, doubtful, but this post made me think in that direction! Nostalgia, yeesh.)
I don't know, I think you're on to something haha.

It has been said Cincinnati is always 15-20 years behind the coasts... maybe Dayton is 30 years behind LOL

Old 10-08-2017, 08:17 AM

389 posts, read 327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The whole point of a high-COL area is that COL is high because there's high demand. Sure, there are momentary anomalies. But apart from those, high COL --> long-term opportunities. Living in the Dayton area over the long-term implies an opportunity cost. Year after year, I cringe with envious disgust, at how my coastal buddies are pulling ahead.
Unless one plans to sell and move to a less expensive area the surging home values mostly serve to increase their property taxes. They can't upgrade in the same area without paying more. Trendiness contributes to demand but I'm not sure it is always justified.

From my perspective living in a lower COL area has afforded my family a lifetime of opportunity to participate we might not otherwise have had living in a place where housing takes significantly more of the budget. Since this area offers pretty much the same things you will find elsewhere in the country it is hard to justify such a trade off.

I completely understand younger folks just out of college wanting explore the world and try living elsewhere. That is almost universal. But once out of 20's life for most people won't be much different regardless of where they live. Working each day, taking care of the house, the kids, etc. At that point COL makes a difference in lifestyle and ability to participate.

Props to the trendy cities though. They've obviously marketed themselves well .

Just my opinions

Last edited by ms12345; 10-08-2017 at 09:07 AM..

Old 11-12-2017, 04:16 PM

1,098 posts, read 890,171 times
The Dayton metro area is awesome...as long as you avoid Dayton proper, And even then, there are things to do in downtown Dayton, you just wouldn't want to live there.

I grew up in Beavercreek and I really miss it sometimes. I would consider moving back if my fiances family wasn't in a different state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton