Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:30 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
Here they are donating 10 million to renovate the site after they tear it down, and the local villagers want to sue them to stay, ridiculous.
I don't think they'll be successful with any lawsuit, but nothing else going into that site would be nearly as beneficial as a hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 01:28 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,299,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
Here they are donating 10 million to renovate the site after they tear it down, and the local villagers want to sue them to stay, ridiculous.
Confusing as hell for sure. I heard "Flap" that Kettering Health might be interested in it?

I wouldn't rule it out. Grandview is "maxed out" at this point. Unless they'd get a wild hair to start buying those houses on Neal and gutting them. Who knows.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:26 PM

31 posts, read 34,052 times
Grandview Medical Center is expanding: https://www.daytondailynews.com/busi...39yDUUanrGveM/

Old 02-27-2018, 03:45 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,299,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
Grandview Medical Center is expanding: https://www.daytondailynews.com/busi...39yDUUanrGveM/
Finally, Forward and his cronies are realizing they aren't in as bad as shape as they thought

Old 02-27-2018, 04:32 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
This is a terrible shame for the communities of Northwest Dayton.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:53 PM

13 posts, read 20,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
This is really sad, awful news. It's a day after the announcement and I'm still shocked. Awful news for the west side
hmmm.....I don't know if this is bad news actually. Dayton has to begin to, for the first time, to really be interested in gutting unnecessary things to create something more purposeful in the future. We have what we have to work with, and the city is not going up in population. We should maximize what we can do with 150k people, not keep holding onto old ideas for the sake of nostalgia. And this hospital...it really wasn't functioning as best as it could anymore. Think of this as an opportunity for the future.

Biggest problem infrastructure-wise in Dayton: Too much nostalgia in the wrong areas and not enough in the right areas if you ask me. But this is a smart move. It will force northwest Dayton to be re-thought and get people asking questions again. The area around the hospital was not being brought up by this hospital. With it's main anchor an empty field...the area can become a playground for the next generation to give new purpose here.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:02 AM

723 posts, read 570,294 times
Dayton's eventual demise: Death by Nostaliga

Old 03-17-2018, 09:11 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GemCityWatcher View Post
hmmm.....I don't know if this is bad news actually. Dayton has to begin to, for the first time, to really be interested in gutting unnecessary things to create something more purposeful in the future. We have what we have to work with, and the city is not going up in population. We should maximize what we can do with 150k people, not keep holding onto old ideas for the sake of nostalgia. And this hospital...it really wasn't functioning as best as it could anymore. Think of this as an opportunity for the future.

Biggest problem infrastructure-wise in Dayton: Too much nostalgia in the wrong areas and not enough in the right areas if you ask me. But this is a smart move. It will force northwest Dayton to be re-thought and get people asking questions again. The area around the hospital was not being brought up by this hospital. With it's main anchor an empty field...the area can become a playground for the next generation to give new purpose here.
I'd have to disagree, it's hard to interpret this as anything but bad news at best and blatant discrimination at worst.

TBH it is an extremely bold and legally moronic move by Premier.
Supreme court cases and their set precedents are built on crap like this (like Brown vs. Board of Ed).

But it is what it is. And if they do get away with closing and bulldozing Good Sam, 2000+ jobs will be removed from an impoverished community, hundreds of which are janitorial, food service, etc. workers who live in the neighborhood and do not have reliable transportation to Miami Valley or another Premier hospital.

This doesn't even include the residual impact on other businesses up and down the Salem Ave. corridor.

Gentrification is great, but it doesn't happen sporadically in the middle of non-gentrified areas. It happens in areas people want to live. South Park on through to downtown is gentrifying BECAUSE it offers a central location with good highway access and urban environment that cannot be replicated elsewhere in the region.

St. Anne's Hill is gentrifying too because of its proximity to Webster Station, OD and South Park, which are all highly desirable now. McPherson Town stays nice because it is its own island that's very close to the highway and downtown, Wright Dunbar does as the result of a city-funded revitalization effort in 2003, and Grafton Hill might be starting to pick back up again.

In order for the area around Good Sam to revitalize, all of Dayton View, Five Oaks, Santa Clara, and Fairview would have to revitalize first. I'm hoping it happens, but right now there is no reason for it. The location is isolated from the major employers along I-675, has poor highway access, and is surrounded by blighted neighborhoods, despite the gorgeous housing stock that IMO is the best in the metro area.

Call it nostalgia, I call it million dollar homes offered for cents on the dollar. AKA ghetto mansions.
Hopefully this area can be preserved enough that one day it can be filled with people that maintain these homes well. Not that the people there don't currently, many do, but the low value makes it hard to justify the capital investments to keep these great dames up.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:11 AM

723 posts, read 570,294 times
"TBH it is an extremely bold and legally moronic move by Premier.
Supreme court cases and their set precedents are built on crap like this (like Brown vs. Board of Ed)."

How exactly is closing a money-losing hospital that is only 50% occupied and over 80 years old, costing millions to maintain, and located within five miles of a duplicate facility, "moronic"?

When you refer to Brown v. Board of Education, you are not comparing apples to apples. Schools are a public entity, funded 100% by taxpayer dollars and existing to serve the public good regardless of profitability, while hospitals are privately-owned business enterprises. I agree their non-profit status is a joke when their CEOs make millions, but presumably, they do provide free services to the community to maintain the favorable tax status.

The truth remains that the government, be it federal, county or local, simply cannot force a business to stay in business. And no business will stay in business unless they are making money.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:21 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,309 times
^Sorry I missed this earlier.

I'm not arguing the numbers, I'm arguing service region.

Hospitals are a public necessity, that's part of the reason why any hospital worth its space operates as a non-profit.
If you are having a heart attack, seconds matter.
A close family member of mine had a stroke and was treated at Good Sam.
If that family member had to go the extra 10 minutes to Miami Valley, I don't know if they'd be around right now like they are.

Because Good Sam is closing, a lot of people in Dayton's poorest area will get a lot worse care than they do now.
On top of that, hundreds of people that live in the neighborhood and work at that hospital will lose their jobs.
If they don't drive, a new job offer at Miami Valley South or Upper Valley is not going to do them any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton