U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 03:57 PM

13 posts, read 14,920 times

Advertisements

Obviously 2016 and 2017 were probably one of the most successful years for Downtown Dayton in terms of not only rehabbing old buildings into residential properties, but also building completely new residential properties from scratch. Charles Simms and Crawford-Hoying along with a few others have been incredibly loyal and really started a movement I personally never have seen (nor expected) downtown in my life. I think what is even more surprising is that this boom shows no signs of slowing down. What started in the beginning of this decade with Patterson Place and the Litehouse Townhomes has become multiple townhouse/rowhouse/brownstone projects (Brownstones on 2nd, Monument Walk, Water Street Apartments Phase 1 and 2, City View, Brown Street Apartments, The Wheelhouse Lofts, Delco Lofts). And I even noticed they went up in price points a little bit with the project Monument Walk (and they're actually selling!) and City View! Since 2016, downtown Dayton is nearing adding 1000 residential units by 2019. That. Blows. My. Mind. For the first time in over half a century, we can actually say Downtown Dayton is competitive with some of it's fastest growing and upscale suburbs. Being born in 1992, I have never witnessed this in my life! I grew up in the northern burb of Vandalia, and I have to say, many people I grew up around always stiff-armed downtown as crime-ridden, dirty, scandalous, and un-invest-able. Haha. Jokes on them...because I think this is the first time in my life I can really say....wow....downtown Dayton really is one of the hot spots to show off when I have friends of mine come in town, or if I'm telling another young 20/30-something to take a look in terms of the "happening" areas. That makes me proud of my city.

I do, however, want to be wise and not take this for granted. After becoming more educated over the past few years as to urban trends, I know that this doesn't always just work the way SimCity does....things can stop growing...halt....flatline. I don't think that that is going to happen, considering what is planned for the Fire Blocks District (aka kind of our gay district), more Water Street development on the east side of the Ballpark, the Arcade, buildings by The Merc, and more plans to better connect Brown Street to Downtown...but I am just curious what others might be thinking. Has this engine just started or have we pretty much fulfilled the needs downtown for housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 06:08 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,882,145 times
I would hope for revitalization, I think it's a shame that places like Austin landing leeches office jobs out of the downtown area, I have friends that live in east Dayton that are fixing up an old house which the city needs more of as opposed to more subdivisions in Beavercreek and Springboro.

Being a lot older I can remember a more vibrant Dayton as opposed to all the boarded up houses, heck I can even remember when the Salem mall was still nice.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:59 PM

11,784 posts, read 9,705,627 times
Like most things, I think it depends where the economy goes. I think downtown will remain a desirable option for young people and retirees who are tired of suburban living and want to be able to walk to food and entertainment. What would accelerate the boom, of course, is the opening of a genuine grocery store in central Dayton.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:30 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,882,145 times
It did not help when the food for less store caught on fire and the Aldi in W Dayton closed.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:07 PM

1,007 posts, read 906,660 times
It's still kinda 2 steps forward, one step back. Vacant land is an issue, and you best believe it's gonna be bigger when GS is gutted

Old 03-15-2018, 02:09 PM

6,815 posts, read 4,408,035 times
If there's a substantial influx of good-quality jobs into the Miami Valley, then housing-growth would be vibrant. Otherwise, urban construction/rehab is just a reshuffling of the proverbial deck-chairs. For the region to substantially grow, we need to be landing headquarters (or at least major regional offices) of large, first-tier corporations.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:29 PM

13 posts, read 14,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
If there's a substantial influx of good-quality jobs into the Miami Valley, then housing-growth would be vibrant. Otherwise, urban construction/rehab is just a reshuffling of the proverbial deck-chairs. For the region to substantially grow, we need to be landing headquarters (or at least major regional offices) of large, first-tier corporations.
I 100% agree with this^^^ First and foremost!
Business creates pleasure!

Old 03-17-2018, 09:00 PM

3,514 posts, read 3,780,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GemCityWatcher View Post
Obviously 2016 and 2017 were probably one of the most successful years for Downtown Dayton in terms of not only rehabbing old buildings into residential properties, but also building completely new residential properties from scratch. Charles Simms and Crawford-Hoying along with a few others have been incredibly loyal and really started a movement I personally never have seen (nor expected) downtown in my life. I think what is even more surprising is that this boom shows no signs of slowing down. What started in the beginning of this decade with Patterson Place and the Litehouse Townhomes has become multiple townhouse/rowhouse/brownstone projects (Brownstones on 2nd, Monument Walk, Water Street Apartments Phase 1 and 2, City View, Brown Street Apartments, The Wheelhouse Lofts, Delco Lofts). And I even noticed they went up in price points a little bit with the project Monument Walk (and they're actually selling!) and City View! Since 2016, downtown Dayton is nearing adding 1000 residential units by 2019. That. Blows. My. Mind. For the first time in over half a century, we can actually say Downtown Dayton is competitive with some of it's fastest growing and upscale suburbs. Being born in 1992, I have never witnessed this in my life! I grew up in the northern burb of Vandalia, and I have to say, many people I grew up around always stiff-armed downtown as crime-ridden, dirty, scandalous, and un-invest-able. Haha. Jokes on them...because I think this is the first time in my life I can really say....wow....downtown Dayton really is one of the hot spots to show off when I have friends of mine come in town, or if I'm telling another young 20/30-something to take a look in terms of the "happening" areas. That makes me proud of my city.

I do, however, want to be wise and not take this for granted. After becoming more educated over the past few years as to urban trends, I know that this doesn't always just work the way SimCity does....things can stop growing...halt....flatline. I don't think that that is going to happen, considering what is planned for the Fire Blocks District (aka kind of our gay district), more Water Street development on the east side of the Ballpark, the Arcade, buildings by The Merc, and more plans to better connect Brown Street to Downtown...but I am just curious what others might be thinking. Has this engine just started or have we pretty much fulfilled the needs downtown for housing?
Good write-up.

I saw your birth year... you and I both lived through and remember 2008, right? Rough stuff.

This progress can all vanish in a flash.
It's precarious but it seems to have really built up steam.
And the next downturn will probably be the only thing that determines whether or not this continues into 2020+

BUT what does work in favor of it is the rise of technology, apps that make urban areas more accessible (Uber, Zillow, Walkscore, grocery delivery apps, GrubHub, and so on), and the fact that people don't see freedom as a set of wheels.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:43 PM

917 posts, read 402,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Like most things, I think it depends where the economy goes. I think downtown will remain a desirable option for young people and retirees who are tired of suburban living and want to be able to walk to food and entertainment. What would accelerate the boom, of course, is the opening of a genuine grocery store in central Dayton.
Itís true. Grocery stores do such amazing things for a neighborhood.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:42 PM

11,784 posts, read 9,705,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Itís true. Grocery stores do such amazing things for a neighborhood.
Yep, the urban Whole Foods in downtown Newark and Midtown Detroit have been very beneficial for those cities. Unfortunately, they decided to build their first Dayton store in the south suburbs, which is already overrun with a plethora of grocery options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton