U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 PM

20 posts, read 13,045 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm trying to price a rental in Oakwood and went to craigslist rentals to get a gauge of what the market is... Craigslist has had only 1-2 houses, just a few more surrounding in Kettering.
Zillow only had a few as well - including a 2/1 for $1870.. !?!?!

Is the rental market this tight or is there some other favorite place to list rentals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 06:31 AM

9,345 posts, read 15,786,024 times
Oakwood isn't know for rental units, although there are some. Oakwood also has a number of small apartment units. You can also look at the Dayton Daily News, the Oakwood Register, as well as The City paper. A number of places simply put up "For Rent" signs, so you may need to do some driving. Why Oakwood? It is pricey and, unless you have kids in school, may not make the most financial sense.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:55 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
There is a "hidden" rental market in the Dayton area (and many other places in Ohio). Do you belong to a church? Go there and make your needs known to the church secretary. If you are a member in good standing, you'll find that members of the church often have rooms and rental properties that aren't advertised.

If not, then this method won't work.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Oakwood isn't know for rental units, although there are some. Oakwood also has a number of small apartment units. You can also look at the Dayton Daily News, the Oakwood Register, as well as The City paper. A number of places simply put up "For Rent" signs, so you may need to do some driving. Why Oakwood? It is pricey and, unless you have kids in school, may not make the most financial sense.
Hey Joe - I think my post was unclear to my intentions I am looking for rental listings in order to figure out how much to list my house for rent..

I just can't find enough examples to figure out what is too low or too high. I guess starting high and seeing what happens is in order....

Old 05-23-2018, 09:32 AM

504 posts, read 198,157 times
A Zillow.com search just now for Oakwood rental houses yields five returns;

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...23_rect/11_zm/

A similar search on Trulia.com yields 13 results:

https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/Oakw...ILY_HOME_type/

13 Oakwood houses and condos for rent on Realtor.com:

https://www.realtor.com/homesforrent/Oakwood_OH

Last edited by OHNot4Me; 05-23-2018 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-23-2018, 09:58 AM

Thanks for this! Definitely seems craigslist isn't the place for house rentals..

I didn't know Trulia and Realtor.com had rentals, thought Trulia got bought by Zillow and only did for sale stuff... good to know.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 AM

9,345 posts, read 15,786,024 times
Yep, I misunderstood. I might be old fashioned, but I wouldn't consider putting a rental house in Oakwood on Craigslist.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:50 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Yep, I misunderstood. I might be old fashioned, but I wouldn't consider putting a rental house in Oakwood on Craigslist.
If you have a home church, let the secretary know you have a place for rent to members in good standing. You're more likely to get a decent tenant (MAYBE!).

Old 05-26-2018, 11:57 PM

917 posts, read 403,332 times
The rental market is tight and expensive here, yes. Thatís how we ended up in Xenia before we found a house. Very few rentals with four bedrooms and the cost is high - we rent for $1600 a month and to hold a mortgage on the same property would cost us about $750.

Fortunately we will be moving into our lovely ranch in Centerville in a month, that we have been working hard to renovate and get ready. Renting here really makes very little sense given the ratio of mortgage costs to rents, but we needed a year to figure out where we wanted to be. Good riddance and Iíll be glad to be done with it, though. We much prefer owning to renting.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:44 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,735 times
If the OP has connections with Wright-Patt, I am certain she/he will (hopefully) find good tenets from that avenue as well. Might also be able to get an idea of other rentals. But compared to Beavercreek or Kettering or Centerville, rentals are hard to come by in Oakwood.

The rental market, as the OP probably knows, is driven by Wright-Patt and the transient nature of military work. Couple that with good school districts like Beavercreek, Kettering, Oakwood and Centerville and you get high rents for properties that may mortgage for around half, especially in large 3-4 bed single-family homes. When considering military on orders get housing allowance, that also drives rents up compared to a non-PCS worker or non-defense employee who doesn't get that and comes into the rental market already short-handed. Even most of the military members tend to buy, since the resale (usually to other military/defense transferees in the good school districts) allows for a break-even or slight gain over the 2-4 years at WPAFB. Not crazy DMV-region appreciation, but at least it is something, assuming you buy smart and at the right price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton