Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 02:43 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,300,647 times

Advertisements

Saw this while scanning through tonight's program guide:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/f...ehind-america/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 04:24 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,290,823 times
I bet your link isn't popular with this crowd, just saying.

NBC was here about a year ago for the heroin epidemic. They filmed out the Life Enrichment Center. Dayton is kinda of getting press it doesn't want

Old 09-11-2018, 08:33 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,057,145 times
It's kind of indicative of the city's leadership when they cannot get this press turned around. I know it isn't quick, but at least a year and still, stuff like this?

Old 09-11-2018, 10:41 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,512,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
It's kind of indicative of the city's leadership when they cannot get this press turned around. I know it isn't quick, but at least a year and still, stuff like this?
What can they do, exactly?

Old 09-12-2018, 06:54 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,267,027 times
Watched it last night. A bit of a gut punch, but I think most of us already knew what's going on. The producers definitely chose the most dilapidated parts of the city to feature, which gives the casual viewer a skewed perspective of the region as a whole. Still, it gave me pause. Lots to ponder.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-12-2018 at 08:01 AM..

Old 09-12-2018, 12:44 PM

Watched it again this morning, and it occurred to me that there's much left unsaid about the Dayton economy (med/fed/ed) and the effect of jobs moving out of the center of Dayton to the east, south, and, to a lesser extent, the northern suburbs. The city of Dayton has been gutted, but the entire region is not a lost cause. That's why Dayton has been seeking to increase its tax base by tapping the rest of Montgomery county for funding to prop up city development. Of course, we all know that's going nowhere.

The brief mention of the closing hospital made me wince. I don't what to think about the reasoning behind it, but it's clear that the demise of west and northwest Dayton continues with terrible consequences for those who remain. Red Hook, the fully-restored smaller of the Sherman estates just a block north of Good Sam, is still for sale with a price that's astoundingly low for a 9k sq. ft. Tudor Revival mansion of such high quality. It's such a shame. I feel for Beth Duke. It's clear that she put her soul into making that house a showcase, but the tide is against her. It's going to take a very special person with deep pockets to save that house for future generations.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-12-2018 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 05:44 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,290,823 times
Nan is on the defensive

https://www.daytonohio.gov/DocumentC...C-News-9-12-18

Old 09-12-2018, 06:06 PM

I thought her response was fairly measured, but I can understand why she might be feeling a bit defensive and want to highlight programs that are changing things for the better. It was not a particularly flattering view of Dayton. It was interesting seeing Kent Harshbarger featured. I've seen him interviewed about the city's opioid epidemic several times now, and he's always come across very well. Terrible job, though. I imagine it weighs heavily on him.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:56 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times
I did like the focus on the immigrant communities and what they've done in the city. So much of the show broke my heart, though.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:26 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,057,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Watched it again this morning, and it occurred to me that there's much left unsaid about the Dayton economy (med/fed/ed) and the effect of jobs moving out of the center of Dayton to the east, south, and, to a lesser extent, the northern suburbs. The city of Dayton has been gutted, but the entire region is not a lost cause. That's why Dayton has been seeking to increase its tax base by tapping the rest of Montgomery county for funding to prop up city development. Of course, we all know that's going nowhere.

The brief mention of the closing hospital made me wince. I don't what to think about the reasoning behind it, but it's clear that the demise of west and northwest Dayton continues with terrible consequences for those who remain. Red Hook, the fully-restored smaller of the Sherman estates just a block north of Good Sam, is still for sale with a price that's astoundingly low for a 9k sq. ft. Tudor Revival mansion of such high quality. It's such a shame. I feel for Beth Duke. It's clear that she put her soul into making that house a showcase, but the tide is against her. It's going to take a very special person with deep pockets to save that house for future generations.
I agree with the assessment of the region as a whole. The suburbs are chugging along fine and are a big part of the economy. But even the article on the Frontline website mentioned the Fifth Street Brew Pub and more positive aspects. It's funny, for a program discussing how a region was left behind the coastal metros' recovery post-recession, that it was likely, in the end, produced and edited by people who live on the coast.

It doesn't make for good view points when the areas of Dayton struggling most are high minority and the fact the poverty rate is astounding, but a majority of the suburbs are doing fine. You could apply the same view to Detroit or St. Louis. They are just on a bigger scale since the metros are bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton