U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 958 times

Advertisements

I believe Nan Whaley is doing a great job of mayor for Dayton. Remake and perfect Downtown Dayton and greater downtown and continue outwardly toward Northridge, Riverside, Beavercreek, Moraine, Germantown, Jefferson Twp., Drexel, Trotwood, and Fort Mckin/Shiloh. Dayton overall has many very strong surburbs closer to downtown than many other cities nationwide. (Imo)Those strong closer to Downtown Dayton surburbs are a huge benefit for the entire region. Oakwood, Kettering, Moraine, Riverside, and even parts of west Beavercreek are very close to Downtown Dayton. (Imo)Dayton is going to rebound quickly. By 2020 Dayton and Greater Dayton will be more connected and cohesive in urban lifestyle and living. I see great things for greater Dayton.
I do recommend a circulating RTA bus route(let's name this DCircle) around Downtown Dayton. It running along Needmore in Northridge, along Harshman and Woodman through Riverside into Kettering, up to Stroop, running west on Stroop to 741, a short distance south on 741 to main in West Carrol/Moraine; main snaking west and north to Gettysburg, straight north on Gettysburg to Salem in Trotwood, a short distance north on Salem, Wolf, and east on Turner connecting again to Needmore. This is a needed route that will allow greater travel between spindle routes without needing to go downtown to transfer. Also it will allow someone from Kettering to travel towards Northridge through downtown, but then travel east on Needmore to Harshman and be able to return home near Stroop. Another passenger could travel from Trotwood south through Moraine through to Kettering as well. Think of all the routes passengers could transfer on in the entire system making passenger travel much more efficient and variable/possible.
Reinventing and concentrating on Downtown Dayton and greater Downtown Dayton will then engage areas close to DCircle even more. Downtown Dayton is very much benefiting from healthy beautiful surburbs south bringing improvement to areas of Univ of Dayton, MVH, Carillion, South Park, Midtown Dayton, Oregon into Downtown Dayton. Beavercreek and East Dayton will improve Inner East Dayton including the Woodman corridor towards Tech Town/Springfield street, Oregon East, and Walnut Hills/Smithville/Belmont. Huber Heights/ Vandalia will improve towards Riverside/Northridge/Northridge Estates including Wright areas/Racino/old North Dayton/Dayton Children's areas. Greater Dayton Airport/ Union, Clayton and Englewood will improve connection into Shiloh, Fort Mckinley, Trotwood areas towards (North Main/Salem/route 49Connector)N. Dayton areas. West/NW Dayton(including Brookville/Trotwood/Drexel/West Lebanon, Jefferson Township, Moraine and even West Carrolton, Germantown, and Miamisburg will benefit from improving the Gettysburg Corridor towards Fuyao/new Fairgounds/VA/Hara and Forest Park redevelopment areas. Areas west of I75 and west of the river are underrated and underutilized.
Greater Dayton is in great shape. And the areas between Downtown Dayton and the affluent/progressive/growing suburbs will greatly benefit in the next ten years. By 2030 I think these old urban infill areas will burst will creativity and busy revived neighborhoods. Dayton and Greater Metro Dayton is compact and that is a benefit. Now instead of suburbs continuing to move outwards, I believe we will see a huge surge to improve/rediscover/enhance directions toward the core of the Miami Valley. The rivers will be great draws as people want to again discover/create urban living with outdoor recreation. Yes Dayton is on the way back. It is a strong, beautiful city with so much to offer and possibilities unlike any other area. Urban homes will be rehabbed, bringing back in population, thus business, thus jobs, thus profits to prosper the city.
I wish Dayton love, and quick healing. It will take a few years for some residents to recover from the shock of the last 20 years, but as improvements continue everyone will see a great resurgence of the Gem City = Greater Dayton USA.

Last edited by northridgeheights; 09-14-2018 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 11:14 AM

504 posts, read 198,157 times
I want some of what you're smokin'.

Since the 1970s, the population of Dayton has been in steady decline:

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...on-population/

Young, educated people are fleeing for Columbus and other surrounding areas with more diversity, greater opportunities, and more vibrant communities:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...conomy-n904766

All the while, Montgomery County continues to raise taxes on the remaining gainfully-employed workers. Folks in the suburbs have had it and are voting with their feet, moving their families to the more prosperous counties to the south or out of the state altogether.

My oldest recently graduated from college. It took him fewer than 48 hours to pack a van and move to CO for an excellent job in aerospace. Staying in OH was never an option. He couldn't get out of the Dayton area fast enough.

P.S. Paragraphs are your friends.

Last edited by OHNot4Me; 09-14-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 12:25 PM

48 posts, read 27,617 times
Ironically, I packed a van and moved to Dayton for an excellent job in aerospace. Staying in OH was always an option for me.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:16 PM

11,792 posts, read 9,708,825 times
Central Dayton is definitely coming around, like most downtowns in America, though the outer neighborhoods still need a lot of love. In the end, there are two types of people...inner Dayton people and The Greene people. Both are good for the area but bringing in enough residents (with money) to warrant a true grocery store in downtown or somewhere else accessible by nearby neighborhoods should be the biggest goal by Nan and the next mayor.

Last edited by Natural510; 09-16-2018 at 03:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or