U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,363,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I partially agree. Dayton seems to combine influences from Appalachia, the deep South, and places around the rural Midwest. It is more Catholic than Appalachia, and less monolithically white. But the Appalachian cultural influences are definitely there. Most surprising to me, as one-time newcomer to Dayton (in the early 1990s), is how little presence there is in Dayton of (1) first-generation immigrants, and (2) migrants from either coast. I have yet to meet a Californian or a New Yorker in Dayton.

But I don’t see much distinction between Dayton City and the Miami Valley as a whole, or the Miami Valley from the overall region of Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky and Indiana. Dayton is a fairly typical midsized city. It’s neither better nor worse. To see substantive difference, one would have to consider a much larger city (Chicago) or a university town (Ann Arbor).

While the question of culture and economic vitality is chicken-and-egg, I would agree that lack of good-quality jobs is fundamental. With an employment base, educated people won’t be attracted. Without them, cultural opportunities will be limited. And so forth.
The Society of Mary at least did have a high school in New York (Mineola). In the past the university did bring in students from New York and there have been "representatives" of a few other east coast cities as well. A few did stay around. California is another matter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 05:07 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,394,751 times
The UD student population is a hotbed of temporary transplants from NJ, Lawng Eyeland, and the greater NYC area. Some do hang around when they graduate, often because Dayton is like a breath of fresh air to them but at the same time they can retain at least some social ties with the east coast.

Meanwhile, in breaking "suxting" news, nothing like getting some press. Here's the news that UKers are getting about the crazy Yanks in North Riverdale:

Cat-loving Ohio woman, Klonda Richey, mauled to death by neighbors' dogs | Mail Online

Old 02-10-2014, 06:44 PM

34,490 posts, read 63,826,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
The UD student population is a hotbed of temporary transplants from NJ, Lawng Eyeland, and the greater NYC area.
Back when I was at UD, we'd joke that 1/4 of the students were from New Jersey or New York, 1/4 from Cleveland, 1/4 from elsewhere in Ohio, and 1/4 from elsewhere in the world. Not many at all from the West Coast.

A lot of my classmates from New York and New Jersey stayed, and are still in Dayton, 30+ years later.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,394,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Back when I was at UD, we'd joke that 1/4 of the students were from New Jersey or New York, 1/4 from Cleveland, 1/4 from elsewhere in Ohio, and 1/4 from elsewhere in the world. Not many at all from the West Coast.

A lot of my classmates from New York and New Jersey stayed, and are still in Dayton, 30+ years later.
I don't think I ever heard that saying but those proportions sound exactly right. You're right about the invisible force field along the Mississippi that acts on UD students.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 PM

34,490 posts, read 63,826,026 times
Lots of students from St. Louis though - big German Catholic population to pull from.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 AM

38 posts, read 39,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
While the question of culture and economic vitality is chicken-and-egg, I would agree that lack of good-quality jobs is fundamental. With an employment base, educated people won’t be attracted. Without them, cultural opportunities will be limited. And so forth.
It can be argued that Dayton was the victim of its own success. The incredible innovation and business building that occurred in the first third of the 20th century brought the hordes of underclass that, with their mass, took over government and thought they could order business around. The businesses created eventually wandered off; The Cash, Delco, Mead, McCalls, etc. Aside from the brownfields the monuments they built remain; The Engineers Club, the Art Institute, Masonic Temple, Deeds Carrillon, etc.

I remember the old timers comparing what was happening in Dayton to what happened to South Lebanon. Originally called Deerfield, South Lebanon was like a million small towns until the Peters Cartridge factory really geared up during WWI. Problem was the locals knew the work was very dangerous and would not step foot in the factory. The company started shipping in illiterates from down south and they ended up living in South Lebanon. The factory shut down at the end of WWII without buying bus tickets for the dregs to return to the hollers. No problem, AFDC came along to save the day.

Talk about a pit. During a short period in my wasted youth I was a reporter for the Western Star in Lebanon. Part of my beat was to cover South Lebanon council meetings. The mayor used to come to council meetings so drunk he couldn't walk. The town hall was a ratty little building right on the main drag and punks would drag race during council meetings. Watched the whole council get up in the middle of a meeting and run to their cars to chase down the drag racers because the cop was on dinner break. Remember Kash D. Amburgey's "Big Bargain Barn" commercials? The famous retort to LBJ's War on Poverty came from South Lebanon. Right after the program was announced a national reporter from ABC News asked a local what he thought of the War on Poverty, the local responded, "They will never beat us."

It was no accident they were in South Lebanon asking the question. For decades South Lebanon was ground zero for incest in the state and lots of Klan around. It was a hole of subsidized trash. Nothing ever did "save" South Lebanon. It has been absorbed in the blob moving north from Cincinnati.

Dayton is similar in that all flavors of underclass were brought in and then subsidized after the underlying businesses left. There will be no "good" jobs until the trash leaves because there will be no business until the trash leaves. That goes for the suburbs as well.

We need to quit reading Karl Marx and reread Adam Smith.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:30 AM

12,954 posts, read 11,393,971 times
Quote:
The UD student population is a hotbed of temporary transplants from NJ, Lawng Eyeland, and the greater NYC area. Some do hang around when they graduate, often because Dayton is like a breath of fresh air to them but at the same time they can retain at least some social ties with the east coast.

Meanwhile, in breaking "suxting" news, nothing like getting some press. Here's the news that UKers are getting about the crazy Yanks in North Riverdale:

Cat-loving Ohio woman, Klonda Richey, mauled to death by neighbors' dogs | Mail Online
We had a few of those stories in the Bay Area too, don't feel bad. And if we're counting Miami Valley national news, Bill Maher gave a big-up to the Mechanicsberg guy who was immortalized on his Harley this week.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:35 AM

6,306 posts, read 7,637,797 times
Quote:
I don't think I ever heard that saying but those proportions sound exactly right. You're right about the invisible force field along the Mississippi that acts on UD students.

West coasters wanting to go to a Catholic university in the midwest will most likely go to ND or DePaul.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:44 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,363,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
West coasters wanting to go to a Catholic university in the midwest will most likely go to ND or DePaul.
While that may very well be, I think part of the matter has to do with the Society of Mary districts. If I remember correctly, the Eastern Province was east of the Mississippi river. There is a Marianist college in Texas.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:54 PM

430 posts, read 503,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Different kind of Catholics at DePaul--Vincentian. ND/SMC/HC are Congregation of the Holy Cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton