U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 687 times

Advertisements

Wow, that is a pretty negative accusation. What are your sources? I googled and couldn't find any recent news stories related to Montgomery county's corruption. Most politicians are corrupt in my book, so I'm interested to know how Montgomery county stands out.

Wrightflyer, we drove around the specific areas you mentioned today and love pretty much everything east of Shroyer (didn't actually make it much west of there), between Dorothy and Stroop. The houses/streets have the exact type of character we like. We like the houses north of Dorothy too, but that would put us in Oakwood... maybe someday. Thank you again for the recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,937,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwechter33 View Post
Wow, that is a pretty negative accusation. What are your sources? I googled and couldn't find any recent news stories related to Montgomery county's corruption. Most politicians are corrupt in my book, so I'm interested to know how Montgomery county stands out.

Wrightflyer, we drove around the specific areas you mentioned today and love pretty much everything east of Shroyer (didn't actually make it much west of there), between Dorothy and Stroop. The houses/streets have the exact type of character we like. We like the houses north of Dorothy too, but that would put us in Oakwood... maybe someday. Thank you again for the recommendations!
Glad to help! That is a decent area, especially starting out. The homes west of Shroyer (closer to Far Hills and beyond), tend to be larger and pricier due to size of both homes and lots. Of the area mentioned, I think you would hold better value closer to Stroop than Dorothy. Especially south of Lincoln Park Blvd. I would probably be more wary of being north of LP and east of Oakmont Ave as that area looks more hodgepodge and is closer to the more depressed Wilmington/Dorothy intersection and corridor (mostly going north of Dorothy on Wilmington is where the decay is more noticeable).

As for the politics...

Montgomery County can be a little lopsided when it comes to politics, mainly due to the presence of the City of Dayton and its perceived conceptions of its influence on local politics, both at the city and county level. There are still conservative parts and residents of Montgomery County that don't like the unilateral decision making by left-leaning (or just plain Democrat party-member) politicians. Part of the polarization of this county's politics I guess?

There is a reason Greene County residents didn't want to have RTA services in Beavercreek/Fairborn. There was concern that a tax would be imposed by un-elected county commissioners (i.e. the Montgomery County one's). Granted, its worth saying it hasn't happened and probably won't since I imagine it would be illegal, less Greene County commissioners approved it or voters voted on it. Neither of which would ever be approved.

Old Today, 05:59 AM

5 posts, read 687 times
I am very surprised to hear you say that home values should be stronger closer to Stroop than Dorothy. Of course this is with close to zero knowledge of the area, but I just figured since Stroop was closer to Oakwood, homes would be equally, if not more, desirable/resilient. A couple things we were wondering as we were driving around:

-How does the high school and football field affect neighborhood traffic and noise. I assume there's no sleeping Friday nights if you live near the stadium and traffic would be backed up during pickup/drop-off times in front of the school... but do you know how far those reach out into adjacent streets?

-You mentioned that the houses west of Shroyer are more expensive because of their size and you would be wary of anything west of Oakmont. That being said, would you put everything up to, say, east of Ackerman and north of Stroop in the same neighborhood as that surrounding Far Hills; only smaller homes? We don't really mind a smaller home as long as the neighborhood is good for us. (I realize you don't know us, but the main thing is being surrounded by at least some forward-thinking younger families, like us). And the reason for specifics, we're setting up a search in the MLS and don't want to exclude anything that would work for us.

And as for the politics and taxes, I'm sure living under any local government, I will be able to find things to squabble about. The way I look at it (and most important to me right now) is that I will be paying higher property taxes to be in a decent school district. I realize there are exceptions, but in my experience, there is a direct proportion between high school ratings, home values, and property taxes. Before now, I felt differently, but now I don't mind the tax bill as long as the schools stay strong. In my opinion, financially, it beats paying less in property taxes and much more for private school. Also, I come from Los Angeles, where they are trying to start taxing text messages, so pretty much anywhere is an improvement at this point!

Old Today, 07:42 AM

9,494 posts, read 16,190,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori8887 View Post
Montgomery County, Ohio is one of the most corrupt counties of Ohio, politically-speaking. If I had to choose a city inside that county, I would choose Centerville, but only if you paid me.
Based on what metrics?

For the OP, generally speaking, the Dem Party has a hold on the County Prosecutor's Office, while the Rep Party has the Sheriff's Office. It's been that way for decades.

Last edited by joe from dayton; Today at 08:59 AM..

Old Today, 10:47 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,937,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwechter33 View Post
I am very surprised to hear you say that home values should be stronger closer to Stroop than Dorothy. Of course this is with close to zero knowledge of the area, but I just figured since Stroop was closer to Oakwood, homes would be equally, if not more, desirable/resilient. A couple things we were wondering as we were driving around:

-How does the high school and football field affect neighborhood traffic and noise. I assume there's no sleeping Friday nights if you live near the stadium and traffic would be backed up during pickup/drop-off times in front of the school... but do you know how far those reach out into adjacent streets?

-You mentioned that the houses west of Shroyer are more expensive because of their size and you would be wary of anything west of Oakmont. That being said, would you put everything up to, say, east of Ackerman and north of Stroop in the same neighborhood as that surrounding Far Hills; only smaller homes? We don't really mind a smaller home as long as the neighborhood is good for us. (I realize you don't know us, but the main thing is being surrounded by at least some forward-thinking younger families, like us). And the reason for specifics, we're setting up a search in the MLS and don't want to exclude anything that would work for us.

And as for the politics and taxes, I'm sure living under any local government, I will be able to find things to squabble about. The way I look at it (and most important to me right now) is that I will be paying higher property taxes to be in a decent school district. I realize there are exceptions, but in my experience, there is a direct proportion between high school ratings, home values, and property taxes. Before now, I felt differently, but now I don't mind the tax bill as long as the schools stay strong. In my opinion, financially, it beats paying less in property taxes and much more for private school. Also, I come from Los Angeles, where they are trying to start taxing text messages, so pretty much anywhere is an improvement at this point!
I'm thinking that based on the more hodgepodge development in that small corner inside Oakmont and Lincoln Park that the homes probably aren't as uniform. That's up to you if you are OK with that. As for the assessment of home sizes past (west of) Far Hills, that would be a good analysis. Even between Far Hills and Shroyer the homes are pretty uniform on the smaller side such as you have seen if you keep going east from Shroyer. I would think the traffic would be heavier on Shroyer and the side streets between Shroyer and Far Hills since both the high school and middle school/football stadium are on the west side of Shroyer.

I would say the majority of the streets east of Ackerman towards Wilmington and Marshall are older ranches with attached garages, likely from the 50's or 60's. Maybe some 70's? That would be a decent area for a first home. If it is like Woodhaven in Beavercreek, likely a mix of older retirees and young families among homes either featuring all original (or older) fixtures or nice modern renovations. It just looks based on when I have driven by on Marshall, Dorothy and Wilmington and looking at sat map views that homes on streets like Devon, Oakmont and Sagamon are older and likely to have detached garages and be less uniform. Again, just an observation and personal preference.

Fraze Pavillion would be the bigger noise pollutant east of Shroyer. It is a nice music venue that attracts older acts but is still well regarded and a frequent haunt of many locals as well as national acts. The closer you are to there, expect more noise from outdoor concerts, which mainly are on the weekends but may be during the week too I would imagine. At least, due to its outdoor nature, it won't run before April or past October, so there is that as well. The park like setting around there is quite nice.

Also, keep in mind that Oakwood doesn't start until west of Shroyer and actually doesn't officially start until two or three blocks north of Dorothy. I would try and be closer to Town and Country and the Kroger on Shroyer and Stroop. That makes a lot of stuff very walkable. The streets like Storms, Schuyler, Lefevre, Oakview and Talbott (or anything south of Brookfield and west of Ackerman), would be my first places to look.

Last edited by wrightflyer; Today at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Added Town & Country Point and Streets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or