U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,844 times

Advertisements

Living in CA looking at Houses in OH. I don't see many stoves that run on gas, they are mostly all electric. I've seen some gas fireplaces but they still have electric stoves. Any ideas why this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 09:45 PM

7,259 posts, read 4,688,408 times
Those of us living in the countryside are typically on propane. We have propane tanks, that are filled by delivery-trucks, arriving once annually, or thereabouts (depending on size of tank and rate of usage). The propane is used to fire the central heating unit, and also for fireplace inserts. More urban/suburban situations may have natural gas, if it's available via public supply.

Natural-gas stoves are occasionally found, and are favored by some persons who profess culinary prowess. For the rest of us, electric stoves (both stove-tops and ovens) are adequate, and are probably more common. As to why this is so, well, it's probably because electrical connections are easier to make, than gas-lines.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:01 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,174,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Those of us living in the countryside are typically on propane. We have propane tanks, that are filled by delivery-trucks, arriving once annually, or thereabouts (depending on size of tank and rate of usage). The propane is used to fire the central heating unit, and also for fireplace inserts. More urban/suburban situations may have natural gas, if it's available via public supply.

Natural-gas stoves are occasionally found, and are favored by some persons who profess culinary prowess. For the rest of us, electric stoves (both stove-tops and ovens) are adequate, and are probably more common. As to why this is so, well, it's probably because electrical connections are easier to make, than gas-lines.

Natural gas stoves have an open flame and you can do things like toast marshmallows over the flame.

Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,641,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds1 View Post
Living in CA looking at Houses in OH. I don't see many stoves that run on gas, they are mostly all electric. I've seen some gas fireplaces but they still have electric stoves. Any ideas why this is?

Proximity to supply and distribution. NG requires pipelines which are expensive to run and maintain, especially if the customer density is low. Power lines are already available, so it's easier/cheaper to just make the home all electric. If the house has an NG supply with an electric stove, it was probably what the homeowner wanted at some point.

NG is pretty abundant in OH. Many semi-rural areas even have centralized wells. I actually have an old well on my property which supplies enough to do everything other than heat the house (stove, hot water, dryer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or