U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2019, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Lebanon, OH
5,779 posts, read 6,127,785 times
Reputation: 12296

Advertisements

https://www.dayton.com/lifestyles/da...s4XtP0YxvmprL/

Let’s not all turn green from drinking too much beer in the Oregon District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2019, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Covington, KY
1,894 posts, read 2,184,165 times
Reputation: 600
.
Aww....

Cincinnati's busy being German (maybe primarily Bavarian, not anything like Prussian). As for Cleveland, I believe the saying is that there are more Hungarians in Cleveland than in Budapest. I know nothing much about Columbus, but if it helps the point any, I think there's a bunch of Russians somewhere on the northern part of the West Coast.

Ya can't help what landed and propagated somewhere.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,905 posts, read 58,679,248 times
Reputation: 53142
Mmm ... Green beer. And at 5:30 a.m.

I'm too old for that now ... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2019, 01:20 PM
 
7,354 posts, read 4,742,425 times
Reputation: 12790
Much as I'm wont to criticize Dayton, the local St. Patrick's Day efforts, at least in Oregon District, deserve commendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
.
Cincinnati's busy being German (maybe primarily Bavarian, not anything like Prussian).
That's a good point. Cincinnati, for all of its reputed German-ness, is really specifically Bavarian, rather than German per se. One detects nothing particular of a spirit of efficiency, attention to detail, ready affinity for working together in large numbers, or relaxed attitude towards sexual morality. Instead, Cincinnati is highly Catholic, decentralized, village-oriented, parochial and conservative. So, to a large extent, is Dayton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
... I think there's a bunch of Russians somewhere on the northern part of the West Coast.
There are large Russian-speaking populations in San Francisco and LA, but none comparable to that in NYC. One of my retirement-goals is to move to a city with a large Russian-speaking population... not necessarily in the US, but outside of Russia itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2019, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Covington, KY
1,894 posts, read 2,184,165 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
There are large Russian-speaking populations in San Francisco and LA, but none comparable to that in NYC. One of my retirement-goals is to move to a city with a large Russian-speaking population... not necessarily in the US, but outside of Russia itself.
Forget it. You are probably too Americanized not to mention Mid-westernized to fit in well. You might find someone who could possibly relate and speaks some Russian as well as Ohioan in Cincinnati since I think they did have a Russian Orthodox church.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 02:14 PM
 
4,508 posts, read 3,467,910 times
Reputation: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
https://www.dayton.com/lifestyles/da...s4XtP0YxvmprL/

Let’s not all turn green from drinking too much beer in the Oregon District.
It’s a wallet hub survey. Best bang for your buck. Sounds more another city cashing in on st Patrick’s Day boozing and throw in all the UD students. Beer specials and cheap hotel rates.

Not to knock Dayton but is there even a st pat’s day parade?

In Ohio Dayton may beat Cincy and Columbus but no way is St Patrick’s Day in Dayton better than Cleveland’s. Cleveland may have tons of Hungarians but it has tons and tons of Irish coming from especially county mayo since the canal digging days of the 1820s. Very large, active, and established Irish community.

St Patrick’s Day is now all about stereotyping the Irish...you know, alcoholism, and making the green.

Last edited by Kamms; 03-10-2019 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,462 posts, read 3,843,497 times
Reputation: 1816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
It's a wallet hub survey. Best bang for your buck...
Agreed, but with just one caveat - the adage applies predominately to Cincinnati and Columbus, wherein both cities have been lauded numerous times by the website. Check it out for yourself.
Quote:
In Ohio Dayton may beat Cincy and Columbus but no way is St. Patrick's Day in Dayton better than Cleveland's...

St Patrick's Day is now all about stereotyping the Irish...you know, alcoholism, and making the green.
Agreed and sorry about Cleveland's luck. In accordance with your own standards (emboldened above), the city should have won a blarney-inflated survey like this one hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 10:17 PM
 
4,508 posts, read 3,467,910 times
Reputation: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Agreed, but with just one caveat - the adage applies predominately to Cincinnati and Columbus, wherein both cities have been lauded numerous times by the website. Check it out for yourself.Agreed and sorry about Cleveland's luck. In accordance with your own standards (emboldened above), the city should have won a blarney-inflated survey like this one hands down.
Dayton doesn’t even have a parade. Cleveland’s st Patrick’s day parade dares back to the 1860s and isn’t one of those weekend before.

Im familiar with wallet hub and know cincy and Columbus turn up on it often, which is fine but to have a st Patrick’s day list based on drinking specials and cheap hotels is pretty insulting to the Irish. These celebrations have nothing to do with st patrick or Irish culture.

Surprising through how many cities don’t celebrate with the parade on the 17th only; even “great” st pats cities like Chicago, Philly, and even Boston don’t parade on the 17th.

On “wallet hub” Cleveland ranked 12th but who really cares as like I said the celebration of Irish culture on st Patrick’s day is totally lacking unless you go to the real Irish bars and clubs (in cities like Cleveland and New York). Otherwise, no thanks; how many people in those Guinness top hats bombed and vomiting by 12pm can one take? lol

Last edited by Kamms; 03-10-2019 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 03:35 PM
 
7,354 posts, read 4,742,425 times
Reputation: 12790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Im familiar with wallet hub and know cincy and Columbus turn up on it often, which is fine but to have a st Patrick’s day list based on drinking specials and cheap hotels is pretty insulting to the Irish. These celebrations have nothing to do with st patrick or Irish culture.
In modern American "culture", essentially all and any ethnic, "old world" tradition has been commoditized and repackaged for the common denominator... Irish, Polish, Chinese, Indian, whatever. It's all now 'Murican, which generally means quantity over quality, fast-food and anodyne beer, chintzy baubles and trinkets, and opportunities for selfies. Pop culture has gone global. Or rather, the whole globe has been brought here, in pop form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 07:17 PM
 
4,508 posts, read 3,467,910 times
Reputation: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
In modern American "culture", essentially all and any ethnic, "old world" tradition has been commoditized and repackaged for the common denominator... Irish, Polish, Chinese, Indian, whatever. It's all now 'Murican, which generally means quantity over quality, fast-food and anodyne beer, chintzy baubles and trinkets, and opportunities for selfies. Pop culture has gone global. Or rather, the whole globe has been brought here, in pop form.
Yep! Especially st Patty’s (Patricia) day which is American for st paddy’s (Patrick)..can’t even get the proper nickname for patrick right in ‘Murica. Then the all “Irish festivals” start in the summer...that’s where the real trashy trinkets and scenarios you describe kick in. Every city and town has an Irish festival now...many claiming to be the best and biggest...it’s so funny cuz lots of the attendees are like deadheads traveling from city to city for basically the same event with the same performers and vendors. Total subculture.

Hipsters in Cleveland have started a kitchzy Dyngus Day “tradition” complete with DJ Kishka as if the polka capital of the u.s. needs it but as you state the old world has been commoditized for $$.

Ever since that “lord of the dance” came about it’s gotten real bad...all things Irish run amok. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top