Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2021, 07:33 PM

70 posts, read 68,811 times

Advertisements

Would you recommend Dayton compared to Cincy or Columbus? What drew my eye was the extensive bike trails they appear to have. Is that true, for those who live there, do you feel there are good bike trails? Is it a good culture city, good coffee/restaurants? What makes Dayton stand out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 07:17 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Are you asking about Dayton proper or Dayton metro?

Dayton has a great metro park system and bike trails. I think we have a lot of cultural type things for a city of our size, but I wouldn't call Dayton a cultured city. The stuff is out there (theater, music, dance, museums, etc.) if you want to find it. Covid has obviously hit the hospitality industry pretty hard. In addition to all of the usual chain places, we have a pretty good selection of independent restaurants, coffee shops, pizza places, and bakeries.

I don't know if anything makes Dayton stand out. It is a typical rust belt city that is trying to reinvent itself, and it is having some success in that regard after many years of decline. The University of Dayton is a great community partner with the city. Hopefully the downtown Arcade project will be a crown jewel for the city and the university. Premier Health is another major player in the area.

If you like sports, UD basketball and Dayton Dragons baseball are major draws and are well supported.

Are you trying to choose which of the three cities to move to?

Old 02-26-2021, 02:19 PM

62 posts, read 201,058 times
Compared to Cincinnati, the bike trails are better. I have thoroughly enjoyed them over the past year I have lived here. I couldn't really say about the bike trails vs the ones in Columbus. I also think the metro parks hiking trail systems here are a bit better than either Cincinnati or Columbus.

I would recommend it for price, but if you are into culture as in coffee shops and trendier restaurants then Cincinnati or Columbus would be more your style. Dayton has some of all of that, just in smaller amounts.

The pizza and sandwiches stand out to me food-wise.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:11 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I don’t know much about Cincinnati, though I appreciate the architecture there. I prefer Dayton to Columbus (despite living in Cbus as a kid) because it’s more dense and easy to navigate, and more of a down-to-earth vibe. Ten years ago Dayton didn’t have much going for itself, but there’s been a ton of new restaurants, cafes and drinking spots which have opened up since then, and more people (especially in their 20s-30s) living downtown. The park system and convergence of rivers running through the city lend a nice aesthetic, and the Dayton Art Institute is pretty nice for a city this size.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:13 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
I would say Dayton is a good place to live. Driving from A to B is hassle free and less problematic, lighter traffic and drivers tend to be more considerate. The Oregon District is awesome, there is a lot of renewal taking place downtown, new townhouses on Monument Ave, restoration of the Arcade and the “commercial building” at 4th and Ludlow. There are plans to invest in the fireblocks district (3rd & St.Clair area) I know people who have bought houses in East Dayton that they are fixing up which is a good thing that Dayton needs more of as opposed to fueling the sprawl in Beavercreek and Springboro.

If I was working in downtown Dayton I would not have a problem living in a close in area like Grafton Hill, 5 oaks, St. Anne hill or east Dayton and fixing up an existing house which is what I did with my house in Lebanon when my wife and I bought it.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:11 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
The bike-trails and other nature-type of sites are unusually vibrant in Dayton, for a city of its size. Look especially to the SE side of Dayton for the better amenities. But unlike Cincinnati or Columbus, Dayton is more "blue collar". It no longer has the corporate-HQ, the office-type of jobs that would presumably attract professionals who seek to relocate. The one notable exception is Wright-Patterson AFB, and its satellite companies and offices. These are sometimes referred to by locals, as a bubble of affluence.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:59 AM

183 posts, read 197,182 times
I tend to think very little about Dayton other than when I visit my friend who lives in the Oregon District. It seems like a nice little city but I have always thought there is very little to do. Culture-wise it is what you'd expect to it to be. Less to do than a larger city like Cincinnati or Columbus but I can't speak to quality because I've never had a reason to explore the arts there. I already have so much to do here in Cincinnati. Lots of lovely little neighborhoods though and I really appreciate the bus system still using the overhead wires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton