U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 PM

296 posts, read 544,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prfcttimeofday View Post
and most are trying to get their kids out of dayton public schools.
I disagree. I for one am in the process of starting my child in Dayton Public Schools. My wife has several friends doing the same with their kids. I really am unaware of an exodus away from DPS. Some prefer to educate their kids elsewhere and that's cool too.

Quote:
Also, I have to say, there are a lot of homes that are for sale in Oakwood at the moment, that I would consider affordable.
Yeah, but Oakwood's property taxes are VERY high compared to Dayton.

Quote:
If you are about to start a family, Oakwood schools are what you'll want.
I totally disagree. You couldn't pay me to live in Oakwood - I find it rather snobbish and overpriced. I also would never want my son in Oakwood schools for that matter.

I'm not trying to bash. Quite the opposite - I appreciate your insight and that you post here. It's just that one man's floor is another man's ceiling...or something like that...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank123 View Post
oh dear you two, the house i bid is just 45406, so it's in the community "dayton view"?
It's very likely I will go there, i hope to renovate it, and did my part to make the community a little better, if there are some more like me, i think the community will get better and better, am i childish or right?
again, mike did me a big favor, thank you again! hope to hear more advice on how to live in 45406!
Congrats! I did the same thing to a home in the middle of the east end. Yep, it's a little rough but I can afford it and I am doing my part to make it better.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:44 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,377,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajadelaney View Post
Altough this area has a bad rap...I can't help it...I fell in love with the house. I want to be a part of the solution. I'm behind you all of the way and plan on doing my part to be a positive addition to the "hood". I hope to move Nov. 1st...wish me luck*
We really need more people like you in this world

Anyways, Dayton View really is pretty nice, for the most part. Yes, it has crime, but so does Manhattan, and Oakwood, for that matter. The housing stock, IMO, is the best in Dayton, and it's a hood that I personally would love to live in sometime in the near future.

I think you made a very good decision to choose the View!!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 AM

53 posts, read 84,537 times
Oh no, I grew up in the Dayton area and left when i was 26 years old. Lately, it's deem one of the worst places to raise children. Dayton view area has so much crime, you'll get what you pay for there. There are some affordable places in Kettering, Fairborn, Springboro, and Miamisburg that will fit a similar budget. Stay away from the bad areas in Dayton, the crime there is terrible.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 AM

Oh, I just love the people who have moved away and come by here to give their two cents.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:46 PM

116 posts, read 231,001 times
"Stay away from the bad areas in Dayton"

Wow, what valuable advice that was - thanks for the tip!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:48 PM

389 posts, read 610,271 times
I love the expansion in the University Row/Brown Street area. I really think this will play as a big retail/commercial sector in the future for Dayton with the expansion of University of Dayton and the close proximity to downtown. It already has a great bar and restaurant scene is finally starting to pick up a good retail scene. Some of the urban housing down there is interesting, too.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,922,775 times
^
If you are talking about Brown between Oakwood and, say, Wyoming, I could see that developing into something similar to Bardstown Road or Frankfort Avenue in Louisville. Or maybe extending "Oakwood" into the city more. You already see that a bit with that little buisness district by the Pine Club an Milanos.

...though I think the University Row the thread parent was talking about is not the one by UD, but the streets named after universities up off of Salem.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
^
If you are talking about Brown between Oakwood and, say, Wyoming, I could see that developing into something similar to Bardstown Road or Frankfort Avenue in Louisville. Or maybe extending "Oakwood" into the city more. You already see that a bit with that little buisness district by the Pine Club an Milanos.

...though I think the University Row the thread parent was talking about is not the one by UD, but the streets named after universities up off of Salem.
I like that area a lot a was just there today at Night and Day cafe.

@nick - I am not too sure about development there right now. Miller-Valentine can't get tenants to occupy the vacant spaces at the corner of Brown and Stewart. I would love to see it thrive into a hip college area though. Just don't know that the demographics/demand support ATM.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:14 PM

Ha, looks like our troll was moderated. WOOT!

Last edited by willabee; 11-24-2009 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Troll was moderated...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton