Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 51,960 times

Advertisements

I'm a transplanted New Yorker living in the Dayton area almost 15 years now. I've moved into a historical district downtown Dayton (two years ago).

The portrayal of Dayton being a crime ridden slum is really blown out of proportion thanks to local media and some Americans who seem to be afraid of everything with help of the media. Yes, Dayton does have neighborhoods that are undesirable but most of the city is quite charming. Yes, the city has more than its fair share of urban out-doors-men (homeless folk), druggies, and welfare recipients.

Regardless, the city of Dayton is happening! The city of Dayton is where you can buy a whole lotta house with very little money. I've always had a decent job here with all necessary benefits. I find the cost of living in the area very agreeable.

Thy city offers beautiful parks, unique restaurants, bars, dance clubs, well known schools, and all kinds of entertainment.

Dayton has a lot more to offer than others think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2006, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 51,960 times
I'm a transplanted New Yorker living in the Dayton area almost 15 years now. I've moved into a historical district downtown Dayton (two years ago).

The portrayal of Dayton being a crime ridden slum is really blown out of proportion thanks to local media and some Americans who seem to be afraid of everything with help of the media. Yes, Dayton does have neighborhoods that are undesirable but most of the city is quite charming. Yes, the city has more than its fair share of urban out-doors-men (homeless folk), druggies, and welfare recipients.

Regardless, the city of Dayton is happening! The city of Dayton is where you can buy a whole lotta house with very little money. I've always had a decent job here with all necessary benefits. I find the cost of living in the area very agreeable.

Thy city offers beautiful parks, unique restaurants, bars, dance clubs, well known schools, and all kinds of entertainment.

Dayton has a lot more to offer than others think.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,780 times
Thanks for that last post. My husband has accepted a job in the Dayton area and I'm trying to figure out how to move there quickly and inexpensively and land in a good area. I was getting quite discouraged reading the crime statistics and what so many people say about the city itself. We are looking to (hopefully) rent something outside of Dayton in the country a little bit - with some land etc. but we used to live in San Diego and I grew accustomed to the city life. Great places to go, things to see, food to eat, etc. Here in Erie, we ran out of that stuff quickly. So I was looking forward to a city again until reading all of the bad - - that last post re-bulstered my spirit and I'm excited about the impending move.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:41 PM

30 posts, read 172,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by problymovin
Thanks for that last post. My husband has accepted a job in the Dayton area and I'm trying to figure out how to move there quickly and inexpensively and land in a good area. I was getting quite discouraged reading the crime statistics and what so many people say about the city itself. We are looking to (hopefully) rent something outside of Dayton in the country a little bit - with some land etc. but we used to live in San Diego and I grew accustomed to the city life. Great places to go, things to see, food to eat, etc. Here in Erie, we ran out of that stuff quickly. So I was looking forward to a city again until reading all of the bad - - that last post re-bulstered my spirit and I'm excited about the impending move.
There are some nice places in Dayton to visit but I would not personally choose to live there. Most people who live near Dayton never go into the city unless it is for work or to attend a play (Schuster center) or maybe go to the Oregon District (comedy club, etc. but even that area seems to be loosing its appeal.).

If you are renting and want something rural, I would suggest looking at the Beavercreek area, Sugarcreek Township/Bellbrook, both of those areas are east and southeast of Dayton. Stay away from rural areas directingly west. South around/outside Miamisburg may be ok too.

Lots of people love the Northern portion outside the city limits and the prices generally run less than in the Southern or eastern areas but I don't know alot about the area. As someone else has said, the city is somewhat divided - the North suburbs and the South (or South East) ones and people seem to seldom migrate between the two although both are fine. The west side of Dayton is mostly populated by blacks and is where most of the crime statistics arise from (esp. the violent ones). East Dayton has its crime too but of a less violent nature. Recently I read the East Dayton was accumulating a growing hispanic population . Basically, stay out of Dayton proper especially if you have kids.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 36,037 times
Default Relocating from NY to OH

Looking for nice suburb with good schools. Was looking at Miamisburg - any comments? Are there other areas that would be nicer. Would appreciate any info on schools, taxes, people, etc... Would be looking for middle class - upper middle class area.

Thanks

Old 07-14-2006, 02:46 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,467 times
Kettering, Trotwood, Vandalia, and Englewood are all really nice suburbs, safe with good schools and lots of entertainment. And your not far from Cincinnati or Columbus. And the people are very friendly.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:34 PM

5 posts, read 36,037 times
Default Kettering?

Thanks for the reply.

From reading on the web, Kettering looks to be a little bit restrictive. Lots of ordinances, rules, permits - or am I just reading to much into it?

Old 07-31-2006, 12:00 PM

10 posts, read 61,051 times
I just got back from visiting my sister-in-law in Dayton. She lives in the Oakwood area and loves it. It was so quiant, like Mayberry, in a good way - her kids ride their bikes all over the neighborhood, tons of kids to play with, great schools and ammenities. I met some Dayton folk and they were very friendly, interesting people. We visited the contemporary art museum as well - beautiful.

The housing prices seemed very reasonable to me, but I live in CT, where prices are insane, so by comparison, everything looks cheap.

I do think Oakwood would be a great place to raise kids, based on what I saw.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,567 times
Default Do NOT move to Dayton

I moved to Dayton last year and will be leaving as soon as possible. I have lived all over and have never found a miserable place. The people are NOT friendly, the city is not safe, the schools are some of the worst in the country and the economy gets worse every day. From New England to Texas to California to Washington- I have found things to love everywhere I have ever lived. But I will never, never come back to this place.
Beavercreek and Vandalia are the best places to live, especially if you have children.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:43 AM

976 posts, read 3,860,467 times
Ok first off Dayton does not have some of the worst schools in the country. Learn your facts before you start bashing some place. Dayton is going through billions in new construction. Go to Detroit, Michigan, Johnstown, PA, Flint Michigan, even some Florida and California cities. They are in worse shape than Dayton. Urban decay fills Flint and Detroit Michigan. Crime is horrible in both Florida and California. And New England, ha. They are the only part of the country that is in population loss. Dayton has some really nice suburbs. You dont have to live in the city. The suburbs have some great school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton