U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-09-2009, 06:47 PM

1,170 posts, read 2,172,271 times
^True Dat!!!!

I LOVE DAYTON, TOO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-09-2009, 06:53 PM

296 posts, read 497,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
^True Dat!!!!

I LOVE DAYTON, TOO

Unread 06-23-2011, 03:38 PM

5,104 posts, read 5,096,023 times
Ok honestly I don't know downtown Dayton. But the news is crazy compared to other places I've been. But since I have no personal experience I tend to view it with a slightly skeptical eye because every area has bad areas and I'm not that familiar.
And I'm not slamming Dayton because I know a lot of people love it which is great, its just not for me. We all have places we prefer.
But this was sort of funny though you maybe had to be there.
I'm at the Meijer meat counter in Beaver creek and this older women getting her order filled (I'm next) says "I think this meat counter has the best meat around here" and I say "well I've been told there is an older butcher/meat market downtown that people like" and she says (with that Daytonian renant of Kentucky accent) "Oh honey, I wouldn't go downtown if meat were free!" She wasn't an upscale person, she was from Fairborn. Probably not really fair to downtown but the way she said it was sort of funny.

Unread 06-23-2011, 03:51 PM

5,104 posts, read 5,096,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Hmmm......

Dayton's street grid is something that I always thought of as an ASSET, because it was so easy to navigate, and traffic is not too bad unless you're talking about Malfucntion Junction, which can be rough at times.

Heck, just take Salem to go NW, 202/201 to go NE, 75, Dixie or Patterson to go North/South, 35 to go West/East, 4 to go SW, and Wilmington to go SE. From there, it's pretty grid-like.
OMG you've got to be kidding.

Unread 03-03-2012, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 877 times
For black urban professionals. Living in north dayton is a more viable option. When I say North Dayton, I'm mainly talking about the areas on the outskirts of the city limits and the suburbs. What many people don't realize is that the greater dayton area has many black suburbs that are comfortable to live in, without any fear of egregious crimes. Trotwood is probably the best area because of its expansion for the black middle class. Vandalia, englewood, and tipp city are your best bets for child rearing. Vandalia is one of the better hidden gems of dayton. Not really hidden but its quiet and accommodating and more accepting of people of color with money. Suburbs south of dayton are cluster like with an aristocratic middle class mentality. Kettering, beavercreek, oakwood and somewhat centerville, are puffy and somewhat haughty people. There have been many instances where people have been stopped for DWB's (driving while black) in oakwood. Part of this thinking occurs because that's where a lot of businesses set up shop, such as malls, parks, energy plants, car makers etc. So essentially all the good stuff goes to them. Plus its the most quaint part of Dayton. East dayton is a flat out NO. Its like going back in the jim crow days. Plus it's way to dirty and filthy. West side. Are you crazy? Don't shine or floss or you'll get stuck for your valuables. Too much crime and poorly maintained people. Fairborn is a NO. Reason I say this is because its fools gold. They are country, borderline white trash and ghetto with a little bit of coins in their pocket. Its a mixture of blacks and whites on the low side of middle class. Areas off salem are decent for blacks, there are lots of pockets of properly maintained yards that consists of a mostly urban population. Huber heights is ok. It's mainly for starter families and is somewhat mixed. Northridge? NEXT. Tipp city is usually where people stop their search. Its too far north for a lot of people. And the north's commercial business is lacking. But tipp city is a nice neighborhood, you'll find yourself using a lot of gas miles. If you want to live out in the country then jefferson township is cool.

People that live in the southern suburbs of Dayton, think the land belongs to them. Some people that are from Kettering think they're in a good position because they are from there but Kttering has white trash parts too. Oakwood is TOO community based. As a black individual, I don't like going there or even through moraine. Although moraine is one of the cleaner cities.

Vandalia or Englewood is your best choice. Who ever said anything about living by the airport causing too much noise, does not know what they are talking about. You hardly hear the planes, and many of them take off in different directions. Trotwood is a good option as well, but since trotwood is mostly black you have to due your due dillegence in finder a better pocket.

Let's face it, Blacks with money aren't trying to live with a lot of blacks in a particular neighborhood. Most blacks since slavery haven't been taught have to live properly. These are in the words of Booker T. Washington.

Unread 03-03-2012, 03:20 PM

4,007 posts, read 1,993,036 times
Oh, look Mom, flame bait.

Unread 03-03-2012, 04:58 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,164,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
For black urban professionals. ...

As a black individual, I don't like going there or even through moraine. Although moraine is one of the cleaner cities.

Vandalia or Englewood is your best choice. Who ever said anything about living by the airport causing too much noise, does not know what they are talking about. You hardly hear the planes, and many of them take off in different directions. Trotwood is a good option as well, but since trotwood is mostly black you have to due your due dillegence in finder a better pocket.

Let's face it, Blacks with money aren't trying to live with a lot of blacks in a particular neighborhood. Most blacks since slavery haven't been taught have to live properly. These are in the words of Booker T. Washington.
+++ on Vandalia and Englewood. They feel a bit off the beaten path because they have not been subsumed by the Dayton-Cincinnati polar axis of massive development. There's no stupid "The Greene" or "Austin Pike" development complex in the northwest area like the southland has.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 03-03-2012 at 05:15 PM..

Unread 03-04-2012, 05:29 AM

1,840 posts, read 1,139,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
...What many people don't realize is that the greater dayton area has many black suburbs that are comfortable to live in, without any fear of egregious crimes...

...Let's face it, Blacks with money aren't trying to live with a lot of blacks in a particular neighborhood. Most blacks since slavery haven't been taught have to live properly. These are in the words of Booker T. Washington.
Yeah, catonic, your post will draw some flame, but so what? "It is what it is," and you just put it right out there. Man the fire-extinguishers, folks, and just wait until the self-appointed "PC Police" wake up and jump on this one.

Unread 03-04-2012, 08:46 AM

20 posts, read 16,445 times
We moved here with the military, my husband retired here and we stayed.

I've lived lots of places, and life is what you make of it.

I love downtown Dayton. I love going to Dragon's games, I love going to the Neon, I love going to the hole in the wall restaurants. I love going to Second Street Market.

Dayton has everything the big cities have, but on a smaller scale.

Dayton has an art institute where I've gone to see Chihuly Glass, Norman Rockwell paintings, and had fine dinners in their green house. There is the Schuster Center for Performing Arts with a wide variety of offerings.

Dayton has a lot to offer.

There are festivals all summer, races, the Air Force Museum.

Open your eyes and your mind.

Dayton can come back, I know it's considered a 'dying city' but dying cities don't have all the cultural outlets Dayton has. Part of Dayton's rebirth involves it's citizens utilizing what it has to offer.

Unread 03-04-2012, 03:59 PM

5,089 posts, read 2,533,637 times
Well, Detroit is the quintessential "dying town", and they still have Ford Field, Comerica Park and one of the country's greatest art museums right downtown. In the end, it's all about appreciating what is at your disposal, and if your needs & desires are met by the town in which you reside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton