U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 05:44 AM

22 posts, read 106,205 times

Advertisements

well heres my take on Dayton. we lived in Page Manor which is base housing just on the far east side of dayton. At times we could hear gunshoots and my car was broken into(on base housing!) and almost stolen but we were in city limits. Once you get out of city limits youll find its a wonderful place. Its just like any big city, inner-city problems will arise. now Dayton City School system is terrible. Do not put your kids in their schools! when my kids came here and started school on base the teachers asked me if they had ever been in school! jokingly of course but they were so far behind it was embarrassing.
If you are planning on moving to the area very nice suburbs are, Springboro, Franklin, Beavercreek is extremely nice(but pricey) and Fairborn isnt to bad either. also there is Xenia, Enon, Medway, Eaton and one of the quaintest of all towns Yellow Springs. There are so many little towns scattered all over the area. Just take your pick! We almost bought a house in Phillipsburg if I remember correctly but its a good hour away from central dayton to the west on I-70. very cute little town.
The Dayton area offers so much! I loved it when I lived there. Im orginally from nebraska but I consider Ohio my home. You wont be disappointed and I bet you find youll never want to leave!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2006, 05:46 AM

22 posts, read 106,205 times
dont forget to visit the Oregon District downtown for nightlife! they have a great blues bar called the Nite Owl and it rocks!

Old 08-19-2006, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,316 times
Smile I like Dayton...

I live in Huber Heights, which is just north of Dayton and I like it. I also attend a great church in which really made me feel at home. This Sunday is going to be really neat since it is our annual Friends Sunday Outdoor service. Check it out at www.daytonopenbible.org/tp40/page.asp?ID=59081 (broken link)

Old 09-04-2006, 02:06 AM

1 posts, read 6,314 times
I'm moving to Dayton area within the next couple of weeks and would like to know all there is to know about Dayton, not just the crime rates. Since I'm originally from Finland and haven't even ever visited US before I do appreciate all other information too. Why am I moving to Dayton? Well after work of course. I think I'll be housed somewhere around Centerville area, not 100% sure yet though. How will Dayton treat a guy in early 20's from abroad? Thank you in advance.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:00 AM

976 posts, read 3,427,908 times
^ I know Dayton has a large european population. I also know that Dayton has some very nice suburbs that i would check into. Do some research on some good suburbs around the area. I know Kettering is a really nice suburb. I have heard many good things about Kettering. Centerville is south of Dayton. I also have heard many good things about them as well. They are growing, but not out of control. Centerville is nice because its still in the metro of Dayton, but its not dealing with big city problems like traffic. My wife and I drove through Centerville because it is just north of Warren County. We were very impressed with the town. Very nice main street, with nice victorian style homes. There were also a lot of new developments and condos and apartments going in. I would pick either Centerville or Kettering as a move to the Dayton Metro. Good luck with the move, and if you need anymore info, just ask.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 15,866 times
Default Thank you!

(Oops..., I'm already getting started on the wrong foot. I thought I had posted this on the "Anyone from Dayton?" page but accidently wrote it first on the "Moving to Ohio" page. Sorry for the duplication. Bruce)

Hi Gang,

Boy am I glad I found this web site!

I've been living in California since birth (51 years) and feel it is time to find a new home. Housing is too expensive, traffic is has gotten absolutely rediculous, my parents have recently moved on, and the company I've worked for for the past 25 years is about to change hands.

I first visited the Dayton area about two years ago after my mother passed away. I was visiting her family in Iowa and decided to take in the Wright's home and USAF Museum while "in the neighborhood." I really enjoyed it! OK, it was a bit humid but I could take that. Before my visit, I was telling friends I might retire somewhere between Auburn, CA and Denver, CO. Ever since I've been to Dayton, I've been thinking about it. If it weren't for Dayton's aviation history, I'd probably be considering other areas.

Is there enough snow (too much snow?) to Nordic ski around Huffman Prarie in the winter? Do people drive like idiots around Dayton and/or Ohio (running red lights, passing over double yellow lines, reckless driving, etc.)? I'm a big Macintosh user (even running Windows XP Pro on my Mac as I'm writing this) and I already know there is a Mac User Group there. I've read about the crime issues and that doesn't impress me but all the potential programs at the Aviation Museums of the area (I missed Mike Armstrong's that was about an hour north last time) just thrill me. And then there are all the new places to explore in the mid-west and east coast.

I've got to read on and come back for another visit.

Thanks again for your input!

A possible new neighbor,
Bruce (a.k.a. Paralleler)

Old 09-20-2006, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,727 times
I live near Dayton, It's not all that bad where i live. I live in Huber Heights a Suburb of Dayton. Kinda boring at times but quite here.. Dayton has its bad parts and it's good parts, you just have to be careful on choosing where u want to live at...

Shannon

Old 09-25-2006, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,111 times
Can you tell me which suburbs near Kettering have the best schools, and are near a mall and library?

Old 09-25-2006, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,111 times
Post Living in Dayton

Simon,
I lived near Dayton most of my life. From 1955 to 2002.

For the most part, in Dayton proper, anything west of I-75 is predominatly black population. East of downtown is older homes built in the 20's to 50's.
I lived in the suburbs, West Carrollton, Miamisburg then north of town in Huber Heights and Troy. Dayton and surrounding area is a nice part of the country with good people. In 2002 I moved to south Florida. In 2007 I will go back to the Dayton area. Weather is nice here but thats all.

If you are looking for a house, try coldwellbankerdayton.com.

Vince.

Last edited by AVF3550; 09-25-2006 at 06:06 PM..

Old 10-19-2006, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,106 times
anyone from residents park in Dayton?
just asking
anyways for people trying to find a place to live in Dayton i can only tell you wht places to stay away from, Residents park( our next door neighbors once tried to break into are houseand most of the people living there sell drugs) and also some of the historical districts, i lived in one for a while, we lived in a nice section of it but the surrounding area was horrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or