U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 04:46 PM

5 posts, read 31,894 times

Advertisements

The city of Dayton itself is.. bleh.
But the suburbs mentioned above are nice (Oakwood, Kettering, Tipp City, Englewood, Clayton, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 08:53 PM

20 posts, read 212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Ok first off Dayton does not have some of the worst schools in the country. Learn your facts before you start bashing some place. Dayton is going through billions in new construction. Go to Detroit, Michigan, Johnstown, PA, Flint Michigan, even some Florida and California cities. They are in worse shape than Dayton. Urban decay fills Flint and Detroit Michigan. Crime is horrible in both Florida and California. And New England, ha. They are the only part of the country that is in population loss. Dayton has some really nice suburbs. You dont have to live in the city. The suburbs have some great school districts.
Dayton (the city itself, not the suburbs) do have some of the worst schools in the country. I don't know what construction that is going on in Dayton except for the renovation of US 35 (which can't finish fast enough). Crime is high in Dayton but I would have to agree with you that it's not anywhere as bad as D.C., Richmond, VA, New Orleans, Miami, etc. The suburbs are nice and there are very low crime in the nicer suburbs.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:41 PM

5 posts, read 31,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namx View Post
Dayton (the city itself, not the suburbs) do have some of the worst schools in the country.
Heh. Yup. Agreed. But the suburban schools are actually pretty good.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:22 AM

9 posts, read 48,386 times
Wow! I just cannot believe how hard some people are on the City of Dayton. I’m truly stunned. I’m not a mindless, shameless supporter of the city. Unlike some of the people who ruthlessly beat the city down, I LIVE there. It’s a very area. Be sure to check out yourself. Do not take my word or anyone else’s.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:09 AM

9 posts, read 48,386 times
This weekend my neighborhood, South Park, had its Holiday Home Tour. Fifteen historical homes were part of the walking tour. I’ll take a beautiful Victorian home in the City of Dayton over any cookie cutter, vomitous ranch or Mc-mansion that Centerville could offer. I got meet my neighbors. Many of them, architects, doctors, nurses, educators and many other professionals.

It’s a matter of opinion but I feel the prospects for City of Dayton are looking very good. This Spring UD is opening their retail center and student housing. They also purchased a good deal of land for future projects and expansion. Krogers is building a new and bigger supermarket. Clyburn, a huge public housing project is going away. Its rumored to be replaced with market value based homes. And the icing on the cake: serious plans to invest more than 300 million dollars on a retail and residential complex along the river.

Those who condemn the good city of Dayton, I stick my tongue at you!

Old 12-07-2006, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 10,778 times
Thumbs up Ud

I am a 21 year old student at the University of Dayton. I've lived in Xenia, a suburb of Dayton, my whole life. UD is a great school!
University of Dayton is ranked one of the ten best Catholic universities in the nation. UD is also ranked first in its category for physics and geology graduates who have gotten Ph.D.s in those fields. And also has one of the top ten entrepreneurship programs in the country.
This, of course, does not represent the surrounding City of Dayton school districts. But I thought it was worth mentioning!!

Old 12-07-2006, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 10,778 times
Thumbs up Ud

I am a 21 year old student at the University of Dayton. I've lived in Xenia, a suburb of Dayton, my whole life. UD is a great school!
University of Dayton is ranked one of the ten best Catholic universities in the nation. UD is also ranked first in its category for physics and geology graduates who have gotten Ph.D.s in those fields. And also has one of the top ten entrepreneurship programs in the country.
This, of course, does not represent the surrounding City of Dayton school districts. But I thought it was worth mentioning!!

Old 12-08-2006, 05:45 AM

976 posts, read 3,425,776 times
Dayton has a lot of constrution that is in the mix right now. There is a huge new shopping district going to start in 2007 called The Green. This is a huge outlet mall, i believe it is going to be about 72 acres. It will be only minutes from Downtown Dayton, and it will spark new development all over the area. Many of the city officials of Dayton wanted this because they wanted the growth to stop leaving the city, and heading for Beavercreek and Kettering. Dayton will start seeing huge changes within a year.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:45 PM

15 posts, read 78,682 times
Are there any retired military people on this thread that could pass info about Dayton?

I've read this thread and gotten some good info from it. I'm wondering what else you could suggest for military people?

I've already been checking into the Beavercreek area for possible homes.

How about rural land for sale in the area around Dayton? Is Ohio a pretty place outside of city life? We are thinking of purchasing horses one day and have talked about buying some land. But, we do not want to farm. We just want acerage.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:10 AM

20 posts, read 212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Dayton has a lot of constrution that is in the mix right now. There is a huge new shopping district going to start in 2007 called The Green. This is a huge outlet mall, i believe it is going to be about 72 acres. It will be only minutes from Downtown Dayton, and it will spark new development all over the area. Many of the city officials of Dayton wanted this because they wanted the growth to stop leaving the city, and heading for Beavercreek and Kettering. Dayton will start seeing huge changes within a year.
Again, another uninformative and misleading post from you, paintballer. Please do not delete my post just because you're a moderator. The Greene is not an outlet mall. Have you even been there? It is an upscale outside shopping mall that is modeled after Easton Towne Center (in Columbus). All stores have street fronts. It is located in Beavercreek, right at the border of Beavercreek and Kettering. It is not minutes from Downtown Dayton unless you mean 20 minutes away. And trust me, growth in that area is not Dayton growth. It is Beavercreek growth.

Anyone else here from the Dayton area, please confirm what I am posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or