U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2006, 05:14 AM
 
20 posts, read 212,926 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sozo View Post
Are there any retired military people on this thread that could pass info about Dayton?

I've read this thread and gotten some good info from it. I'm wondering what else you could suggest for military people?

I've already been checking into the Beavercreek area for possible homes.

How about rural land for sale in the area around Dayton? Is Ohio a pretty place outside of city life? We are thinking of purchasing horses one day and have talked about buying some land. But, we do not want to farm. We just want acerage.

Sozo, there are still land here to have for fairly cheap depending on how far away you want to be from the city. There are homes in Beavercreek and Bellbrook with 5 acres or more for horses. Wright Patterson AFB is here so there is definitely a military presence--both active and retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2006, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
976 posts, read 3,430,010 times
Reputation: 269
namx, i did not delete your post just because i am a MODERATOR. I deleted it because you are trying to start something here. You are also stating your opinions about Dayton as facts. You are misleading a lot of people on here. I have no idea why you are trying to start things? Please do not start conflicts on here. I would like to keep this forum conflict free. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2006, 09:53 PM
 
15 posts, read 78,725 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by namx View Post
Sozo, there are still land here to have for fairly cheap depending on how far away you want to be from the city. There are homes in Beavercreek and Bellbrook with 5 acres or more for horses. Wright Patterson AFB is here so there is definitely a military presence--both active and retired.
thank you Namx. We are looking at the Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Xenia & Kettering areas. Are they pretty rural and just beginning to develop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2006, 09:38 AM
 
20 posts, read 212,926 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
namx, i did not delete your post just because i am a MODERATOR. I deleted it because you are trying to start something here. You are also stating your opinions about Dayton as facts. You are misleading a lot of people on here. I have no idea why you are trying to start things? Please do not start conflicts on here. I would like to keep this forum conflict free. Thank you.
Let me ask you this: What opinions have I said or posted that you have mistaken for facts?

I'm not trying to start anything here. And trust me, I'm not giving my opinion as fact. I'm stating the fact as fact. You have no basis for what you post and you don't even live here in the Greater Dayton area. I don't see how you are in the position to give advice to anyone about Dayton. I have lived and worked here for 6 years. Also, I don't think I am the only one who disagree with your comments here. If you want to talk about Mason, OH or other parts of Ohio, that's fine with me because I don't know anything about other places. But living in the Greater Dayton Area, I feel I am qualified to give people my opinion.

And if you have this opinion of me, then you should moderate yourself. Here's your post:

Dayton has a lot of constrution that is in the mix right now. There is a huge new shopping district going to start in 2007 called The Green. This is a huge outlet mall, i believe it is going to be about 72 acres. It will be only minutes from Downtown Dayton, and it will spark new development all over the area. Many of the city officials of Dayton wanted this because they wanted the growth to stop leaving the city, and heading for Beavercreek and Kettering. Dayton will start seeing huge changes within a year.

Where did you get your information from? You are right in that it is 72 acres. There are new developments for apartments and condos near the Greene, but nothing else. But it is not an outlet mall and it is already up. And it is not located near Downtown Dayton that it can stimulate growth for Dayton. It is stimulating growth for Beavercreek and Kettering and even Bellbrook. Dayton will not be seeing any huge changes within a year. And stating facts, there have been 23 big companies in the Greater Dayton Area that have either closed or laid off workers in the past two years. Examples are GM, Delphi, Reynolds and Reynolds, etc. Where are your facts coming from?

Last edited by namx; 12-19-2006 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 AM
 
20 posts, read 212,926 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sozo View Post
thank you Namx. We are looking at the Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Xenia & Kettering areas. Are they pretty rural and just beginning to develop?
Beavercreek is pretty much developed. There are some land left to buy but nothing big enough for a horse farm unless you buy an existing horse farm with a house on it. A couple of years ago, there was a vote in Bellbrook and Sugarcreek Township against the annex of some of their land to Beavercreek. School system is excellent in Beavercreek (if that is important to you).

Xenia is very small but not very developed. Threre's definitely some older homes and lots of land. You will have no problems buying land for horses. It is a bit further away from the city. School system is not on par with Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Kettering, or Centerville.

Kettering will not fit your needs if you are looking for a horse farm. Kettering is immediately next to Dayton and is very developed.

Please let me know if I can answer more questions for you.

Last edited by namx; 12-19-2006 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2006, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
976 posts, read 3,430,010 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by namx
Let me ask you this: What opinions have I said or posted that you have mistaken for facts?

I'm not trying to start anything here. And trust me, I'm not giving my opinion as fact. I'm stating the fact as fact. You have no basis for what you post and you don't even live here in the Greater Dayton area. I don't see how you are in the position to give advice to anyone about Dayton. I have lived and worked here for 6 years. Also, I don't think I am the only one who disagree with your comments here. If you want to talk about Mason, OH or other parts of Ohio, that's fine with me because I don't know anything about other places. But living in the Greater Dayton Area, I feel I am qualified to give people my opinion.

And if you have this opinion of me, then you should moderate yourself. Here's your post:

Dayton has a lot of constrution that is in the mix right now. There is a huge new shopping district going to start in 2007 called The Green. This is a huge outlet mall, i believe it is going to be about 72 acres. It will be only minutes from Downtown Dayton, and it will spark new development all over the area. Many of the city officials of Dayton wanted this because they wanted the growth to stop leaving the city, and heading for Beavercreek and Kettering. Dayton will start seeing huge changes within a year.

Where did you get your information from? You are right in that it is 72 acres. There are new developments for apartments and condos near the Greene, but nothing else. But it is not an outlet mall and it is already up. And it is not located near Downtown Dayton that it can stimulate growth for Dayton. It is stimulating growth for Beavercreek and Kettering and even Bellbrook. Dayton will not be seeing any huge changes within a year. And stating facts, there have been 23 big companies in the Greater Dayton Area that have either closed or laid off workers in the past two years. Examples are GM, Delphi, Reynolds and Reynolds, etc. Where are your facts coming from
?
Do you read any of my other posts? I have said this numerous times. I know plenty of information about the Dayton metro area. I am an urban planner, and i have traveled to the city many times. I have worked with the city government. How would i know about the mall getting built, and all the other facts such as it being 72 acres, and it being based off the Easton Town Center in Columbus? I have even met with Mayor Rhine McLin. I know about all the new developments that are planned for Dayton, and 2007 and 2008 looks like promising years ahead for Dayton. Who are you to say that Dayton is not going to have much development in the following years? The Green is expected to spark new growth around the area. Its expected to spread throughout the southeastern suburbs and help the city of Dayton itself.

Let me remind you that Mason, Ohio is in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati. Not a long drive to Dayton. I have visited the city many times. Not only while living down here in Cincinnati, but when i worked in Cleveland as well. Yes, you would know more than me living in the area, but let me remind you i have worked with the city government, and talked with the mayor. Not on just one occasion, but several times. You have been the only one to bring this up, you say that other people will disagree with me. Please feel free to do so. Im stating the facts that i have about Dayton and the information i have received from city council. In my study i have folders that have the building information for most cities throughout the NE and Midwest, including DAYTON believe it or not. This information gets mailed to me twice a year, and i visit many cities throughout these regions. You think Dayton is in bad shape? Well take a trip to Flint, Minneapolis, Detroit, Lansing, Erie, and St. Louis. Your eyes will be opened to many things going wrong in those areas not happening in Dayton.

Im just trying to keep conflicts going on here. You seem to be coming off very rude. All i was stating was the facts. Hopefully you can understand from a better point of view where i am coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2006, 06:10 PM
 
20 posts, read 212,926 times
Reputation: 24
First, let me just say that I have lived in area for a while now and I do actually like the area. While I am moving out of the area for job-related reasons, I wish that I do not have to move since I have many, many friends here. However, I don't like it when people not from the area ask questions and false information are given, especially by someone who does not even live in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Do you read any of my other posts? I have said this numerous times. I know plenty of information about the Dayton metro area. I am an urban planner, and i have traveled to the city many times. I have worked with the city government. How would i know about the mall getting built, and all the other facts such as it being 72 acres, and it being based off the Easton Town Center in Columbus?
You didn't know it was modeled after Easton Towne Center until after I said it. If you did know, then you would never say it was an outlet mall since Easton Towne Center is an upscale outdoor mall in Columbus. The only thing you said right about the Greene is that it 72 acres. Moreover, you didn't it know it is up. I don't know what kind of information you get but your estimated opening for the Greene of 2007 is totally wrong. I drive by it at least once a week and when it was being built, there was sign that read "Summer 2006". You don't even know where it is located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
I have even met with Mayor Rhine McLin. I know about all the new developments that are planned for Dayton, and 2007 and 2008 looks like promising years ahead for Dayton. Who are you to say that Dayton is not going to have much development in the following years? The Green is expected to spark new growth around the area. Its expected to spread throughout the southeastern suburbs and help the city of Dayton itself.
I never said that Dayton is not going to have much development in the following years. I did, however, say that The Greene will not spark growth for Dayton but for Beavercreek and Kettering where it is located. That said, there was something in the newspaper recently about some development being projected for 2007 and 2008. Here's the link:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/search/content/oh/media/news/local/downtownnew3.html (broken link)

This is the first good news I have heard in a long time about new developments in Dayton itself. The last big development was the Shuster Center which was built a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Let me remind you that Mason, Ohio is in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati. Not a long drive to Dayton. I have visited the city many times. Not only while living down here in Cincinnati, but when i worked in Cleveland as well. Yes, you would know more than me living in the area, but let me remind you i have worked with the city government, and talked with the mayor. Not on just one occasion, but several times. You have been the only one to bring this up, you say that other people will disagree with me. Please feel free to do so. Im stating the facts that i have about Dayton and the information i have received from city council. In my study i have folders that have the building information for most cities throughout the NE and Midwest, including DAYTON believe it or not. This information gets mailed to me twice a year, and i visit many cities throughout these regions.
A casual visitor to Dayton does not make you an expert. Unless you live here and read the newspaper daily or work and talk with the people here on a daily basis, you do not know that much about the city. And if you're going to post your so-called facts, then at least research them before you post so you don't mislead people. That, I find it ironic that you claimed that I posted my opinions as facts when you post just faulty facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2006, 06:12 PM
 
20 posts, read 212,926 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
You think Dayton is in bad shape? Well take a trip to Flint, Minneapolis, Detroit, Lansing, Erie, and St. Louis. Your eyes will be opened to many things going wrong in those areas not happening in Dayton.
What do the other cities have to do with Dayton? I never said Dayton was worse than any of them. And I don't know anything about the cities. I just know about Dayton. So you don't see me correcting your posts about the other cities.


Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Im just trying to keep conflicts going on here. You seem to be coming off very rude. All i was stating was the facts. Hopefully you can understand from a better point of view where i am coming from.
Yes, you are trying to keep conflicts going on here. I'm not trying to be rude. But I don't like when you give false information to unsuspecting visitors to this forum. Keep your facts straight and don't be so offended when you are corrected. No one likes to be corrected. And just because you're moderator doesn't give you the right to delete posts that disagree with you. That is not only abuse of power but also makes you less reputable when you give advice.

As far as other people disagreeing with you, look at this post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...kettering.html

Within this thread alone, the following people disagree with you or corrected you:

Nessy, happycow, cougie, Subway, and FrankZappa

Just because you belong to some Urban Planners League doesn't make you an expert about our town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2006, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
976 posts, read 3,430,010 times
Reputation: 269
Where do you get off being so rude? Sorry that i didnt mention that the mall was being built for the first stage in 2005, and finishing up in 2006-2007. If you noticed all of those people that you metioned settled their differances with me either in the thread or through PM. You just keep going causing more conflicts. Its YOU who is causing this problem. I figured you would have been through with, but i guess i was wrong. You just keep the problem growing.

Second off, im not JUST PART OF SOME URBAN PLANNING. I guarantee i know more of what is happening in Dayton than you. You dont have to live some place to know ALOT about it. Have you met with the mayor or city council? Yes, it has been about 7 months since i last made a visit to the Dayton city council, but i still had meetings with them. I dont just make a trip through Dayton figuring out what areas are good and bad. I takes trips through the city with urban planners from Dayton. I think that qualifies with working with some of the people from Dayton. I only live about 45 minutes to an hour away. I know many people from the Centerville area working down here in Mason and in Cincinnati.

BTW, i did know that the mall was based on Columbus's Easton Town Center. Truly it doesnt matter if you believe me or not, i didnt feel it was relevant to put a mall in Columbus in a Dayton thread. Its just a mall right? Not that they are in one metro area. They are two seperate cities with different economies. The Greene will affect Dayton different than the Easton Town Center has in Columbus.

Also, an outlet mall qualifies for walking outside to get to different shops. Have you even been to the Easton Town Center? You walk outside. Yes, it is upscale and an amazing area to go shopping and buy luxury cars, but it can be considered an outlet mall. And please tell me the last time i deleted your posts? I deleted the one. You keep bringing up the same information. I have left your two-three posts alone. Seriously thats nothing to make a big deal out of. I mean really is it?

I realize now more where you are coming from. I think you just read my posts and strike back in what ever way seems possible to you. Sorry if you feel that i am coming off rude. I supply information to people that i get mailed to me, and what i am told from Daytoners. Conflicts dont need to be started in here. This is really getting ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2006, 12:10 AM
 
20 posts, read 212,926 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Where do you get off being so rude?
How am I being rude? By correcting what false information you give?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Sorry that i didnt mention that the mall was being built for the first stage in 2005, and finishing up in 2006-2007.
Actually, you said:
Quote:
There is a huge new shopping district going to start in 2007 called The Green. This is a huge outlet mall
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
If you noticed all of those people that you metioned settled their differances with me either in the thread or through PM.
That's a stupid statement to make. If you settled through private messaging, how am I supposed to notice that? And in your last post, you asked me to show who else besides me disagreed with you (like there was no one else), and when I show them to you, this is your comeback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
You just keep going causing more conflicts. Its YOU who is causing this problem. I figured you would have been through with, but i guess i was wrong. You just keep the problem growing.
How am I doing this? I'm not the one posting false information. And you said that I made my opinions as facts. Where are those so-called opinions? That's the second time I have asked you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Second off, im not JUST PART OF SOME URBAN PLANNING. I guarantee i know more of what is happening in Dayton than you.
Really? Did you not say this?:
Quote:
Yes, you would know more than me living in the area
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
You dont have to live some place to know ALOT about it. Have you met with the mayor or city council? Yes, it has been about 7 months since i last made a visit to the Dayton city council, but i still had meetings with them. I dont just make a trip through Dayton figuring out what areas are good and bad. I takes trips through the city with urban planners from Dayton. I think that qualifies with working with some of the people from Dayton. I only live about 45 minutes to an hour away. I know many people from the Centerville area working down here in Mason and in Cincinnati.
And you still get the wrong information to pass on to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
BTW, i did know that the mall was based on Columbus's Easton Town Center. Truly it doesnt matter if you believe me or not, i didnt feel it was relevant to put a mall in Columbus in a Dayton thread. Its just a mall right? Not that they are in one metro area. They are two seperate cities with different economies. The Greene will affect Dayton different than the Easton Town Center has in Columbus.
I still don't believe you. Saying it is based on another mall in another city does not mean you have to engage in a long discussion about the other city. The reason why it is relevant is because Easton is NOT an outlet mall. And like I said before, if you knew that The Greene was based on Easton, you never would call it an outlet mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Also, an outlet mall qualifies for walking outside to get to different shops. Have you even been to the Easton Town Center? You walk outside. Yes, it is upscale and an amazing area to go shopping and buy luxury cars, but it can be considered an outlet mall.
Yes, I have been to both Easton and The Greene. Have you? I bet you're the only person on this board who does not know the difference between an outlet mall and an upscale outdoor mall where stores have street fronts. As an urban planner, you wouldn't go to a meeting saying you want to build an outlet mall when, in fact, you wanted the upscale mall. And based on your definition, any old shopping center is an outlet mall. I guess members of the Urban Planning League have their own definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top