U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 11:12 PM

20 posts, read 212,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
And please tell me the last time i deleted your posts? I deleted the one. You keep bringing up the same information. I have left your two-three posts alone. Seriously thats nothing to make a big deal out of. I mean really is it?
No it isn't. I'm not upset that you deleted the one post without even giving a reason why when you were doing it. Quite the contrary, what I find upsetting is that your many posts about the Dayton area have a lot of incorrect information. When I or other members try to correct you, you get upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
I realize now more where you are coming from. I think you just read my posts and strike back in what ever way seems possible to you. Sorry if you feel that i am coming off rude. I supply information to people that i get mailed to me, and what i am told from Daytoners. Conflicts dont need to be started in here. This is really getting ridiculous.
Like I said before, I'm not trying to start anything here. But if you are going to supply information, then do it right and post correct information. If you think I'm rude, what do you suppose other people think of you when give false information? Anyways, this topic has gone for too long. I will be the bigger person, and I will not respond to your posts anymore because you have made yourself not very trustworthy with your information. If other unsuspecting and naive lurkers rely on your information, then I feel sorry for them. I hope other members here will correct you for their sake because I don't have the time to do it. Good luck with your Urban Planning League.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 07:15 PM

976 posts, read 3,426,162 times
^ And you call that being the bigger person, huh? Well so be it. Its called urban planning, its a job. An Urban Planning League is a bunch of urban planners in one region, say the Midwest and North East that work together. You might want to do a little research on that part. I just thought i would put a recap onto all of this, and say you started the conflict by calling me a liar, when all i did was try to help some people with a move. You bring up one major point of a MALL of all things. I was pretty much around the basis on that. Your right, this has gone on too long, and i find it ridiculous that it has.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:08 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,064,102 times
Quote:
1. I pesonally wouldn't live in most of Ohio's big city downtown areas...not just Dayton's...Toledo, Cleaveland, Youngstown, Cincinnati and Columbus inner cities are all fighting the same issues as Dayton.
Have you been to Columbus?

Columbus has one of the nicest inner cities in not only Ohio but the midwest.

Columbus' inner city is very gentrified and has many expensive and nice neighborhoods.

Columbus also has a great economy and a very large young diverse population.

All of the things i just listed cannot be said for Dayton.

I lived in Dayton for a year and could NOT wait to come back to Columbus.

My advice, live in Columbus. But if your from a smaller or medium size place with just average cultural offerings you should be fine in Dayton.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 20,913 times
I grew up in the dayton metropolitan area and its a complex city.
Withing the city limits its pretty much a crime ridden mess. The west side of dayton is probalby more dangerous than iraq and the east end too, maybe a little less. the southside like mentioned before is very nice. Oakwood being the nicest, if I ever moved back I would only live in oakwood. Kettering and centerville are nice too though. Oakwood is a very beautiful community with trees, hills and very nice older homes that are well kept, none are dilapitaded. The school system in oakwood is one of the best in the country. The community has a small town charming feeling to it even though its just 10 minutes away from a run down and dangerous city that looks like a scene from escape from new york. Its a shame because dayton has the potential to be a very beautiful city. Theres lots of history there, lots of historic homes, but within the city limits theyve just let it go to complete hell and I never understood why. So pretty much everybody who lives on the southside of town like I used to, we just try to avoid the inner city as much as possible and if we have to travel thru it, we made **** sure the doors were locked and the windows rolled up. Look I love dayton, I was born in St. Elizabeth medical center, the city has potential, but theyve got a lot of work to do.
Basically if you move to dayton, move to the southside suburbs and you will have a good life. Oakwood is the beverly hills of ohio, I mean its really nice. Its amazing the city has to extreme sides to it like that, but it definately does.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:38 AM

3 posts, read 9,970 times
Default another military man inbound

Since I'm an engineer I am almost gauranteed to be sent to Wright-Pat AFB, so I'm lookin for a lil info.

But first I think I should say, paintballer and namex, yall need to settle down cause you are totally hijackin the thread. Start another one and call it Paintballer vs namex or something.

Ok, there has been a lot of focus on the city itself, but how about the dinky towns that are outside the base? I.E. Enon, medway, New carlisle, Donnelsville, or yellow springs? Any info on them? Or how is base housing? Someone mentioned its not very safe; don't they have SP's gaurding it? What are the houses like in there?

What does the housing market look like in Dayton? Has it been effected by the Reality bubble popping? If you had to work at the air force base, where would you invest your money in a home to make some great equity?

Also, what are the roads like in and around dayton? Are they boring and straight, or are they curvey and fun? Where do people with crotchrockets go to have fun?

Old 12-27-2006, 07:21 AM

15 posts, read 78,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmannfb3 View Post
Since I'm an engineer I am almost gauranteed to be sent to Wright-Pat AFB, so I'm lookin for a lil info.

But first I think I should say, paintballer and namex, yall need to settle down cause you are totally hijackin the thread. Start another one and call it Paintballer vs namex or something.

Ok, there has been a lot of focus on the city itself, but how about the dinky towns that are outside the base? I.E. Enon, medway, New carlisle, Donnelsville, or yellow springs? Any info on them? Or how is base housing? Someone mentioned its not very safe; don't they have SP's gaurding it? What are the houses like in there?

What does the housing market look like in Dayton? Has it been effected by the Reality bubble popping? If you had to work at the air force base, where would you invest your money in a home to make some great equity?

Also, what are the roads like in and around dayton? Are they boring and straight, or are they curvey and fun? Where do people with crotchrockets go to have fun?

crotch rockets? Charming. There are a few informative threads. Maybe if you cruise your crotch rocket through them, you might find some useful info.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:31 PM

34 posts, read 136,209 times
Talking Ironmannfb3, Namx and Paintballer

I just had to jump into the fracas. I haven't posted for a while but when I saw my name being used today I had to respond.

Ironmannfb3 - There's a Harley store in Mason called Aces & Eights you could hang out at with your crotch rocket! LOL!!

Namx and Paintballer - go to your rooms and don't come out until I say so.
Yes, I do disagree quite often with Paintballer but I just sit back and grin. I have lived in Southwestern Ohio all my life. Brown, Clermont, Warren, Hamilton, Butler and now Montgomery County. I strongly disagreed with Paintballer on his assessment of Middletown. I still say it's crap! The crime rate had DOUBLED since 2005 and it was announced in the newspaper the day after I moved there! I kid you not. Things have only gotten worse since AK has been out. (Which reminds me, this board was beginning to turn into AK Steel's board in the Middletown Journal - nasty nasty STUFF). City council is a joke. They are the laughingstock of Ohio. But those impressions came from my very short time living there. I'm not an urban planner but I am a student of behavior. I worked downtown for 10 yrs at P&G 20 yrs ago and was never afraid to walk the streets. I don't even venture downtown anymore. Same up here. I drove into East Dayton today and felt a little uneasy. And when I get lost in downtown Dayton I really freak! I've seen all kinds of improvements to neighborhoods but the improvements don't seem to stop the crime. Cincinnati Museum Center and Music Hall, for instance. A professional musician was killed a few years ago leaving Music Hall after his performance. I don't think Over-the-Rhine and the Main St. area was much of a success either gauging the number of businesses that are closing there. I always felt safe going outside after dark in Mason. I feel safe going outside after dark at my house in Kettering now. Crime-ridden neighborhoods tend to stay crime-ridden neighborhoods no matter what is built. My son used to tease me because I never lived inside the I-275 belt. He always lived in Clifton, Walnut Hills, etc. Now that he has a child, guess where he moved to?? It's not in the Cincinnati city limits!! Anyway, long post. Sorry I'm so long winded tonight. I feel the only way to learn about an area is to speak to people who actually live there. I, for one, was warned by several people not to move to Middletown. But I was still thinking of how Middletown was 20 yrs ago and figured it couldn't be too bad! I WAS WRONG!

Now, if you two kids can behave yourselves, grandma will let you come out.

Ironmann, whereEVER you ride, put that helmet on. I don't care how uncool it may look. I lost my baby and only brother 5 yrs ago. Granny says!

(P.S. - go to BrownPublishing.com - they have real estate listings for just about all areas, including WPAFB.)

Old 12-27-2006, 11:34 PM

3 posts, read 9,970 times
I was hopin the focus would not be on my bike, but since you brought it up... I don't care about cool. I always wear all my gear and I keep my speed on the track. I was just wondering if there were any fun little twisty roads cause here in fargo all we have are straight boring roads that crown the hell out of my tires. Besides all that, did anyone have any answers to my other questions?

Old 12-29-2006, 08:29 AM

976 posts, read 3,426,162 times
Oh yes, Happycow how nice to have you back. I thought we settled our issues, but according to you we havent. At least we can agree we both like Kettering and Mason. Middletown reminds me sort of Lorain in NE Ohio. Minus the fact that Lorain is doing much better. Middletown has put a lot of investment into its downtown. Dont even start on downtown Cincinnati. Dayton on the other hand can work on a few things. Just to let you know since the last time you were on here Cincinnati has grown in population in the center city. Population growth speaks for itself. Now you just keep sitting back and grinning. Have a nice day.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:15 AM

22 posts, read 106,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmannfb3 View Post

First of all let me say "YOU LUCKY DEVIL!!!! we soo want to move back to that area!!! heres my thoughts on you question
Unless you are buying a house in or above the $250,000 price range I wouldnt bother in the dayton area. this is of course just my opinion. Houses in Dayton proper and some of the suburbs are over priced for the size and condition compared to other mid-west properties or specifically like here in Wichita Ks. we were stationed at Wright-Patt 1999-2003 and thought/researched buying a house there but we luckily changed our minds.
Base housing was building new houses when we left Page Manor so Im pretty sure they are done by now. It is also Privitized so you will be paying rent/utilities to a private firm and utility companies. This was starting in 2004.
My car was broken into, ignition broken etc in Page Manor.. no there arent any SP's since it isnt on the base proper.
all in all I loved dayton and the surrounding areas especially YellowSprings. The people are wonderful and I made alot of life long friends there.
I really think youll love living there but as far as buying a house it just depends on how long you will be there and where you buy. If youve only got a 4 yr tour there i wouldnt bother cuz I dont think youll make much profit unless of course you just want to get back what you pay in.. on the other hand if you are going to be there longer it might be a good idea. WOW I like really didnt help much huh? hahaha LMAO sorry!
Blessings,
cougie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or