Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 13,489 times

Advertisements

My computer thinks I live in "Woodbourne-Hyde Park, Ohio". I'm in Zip 45459 which is Centerville, OH. Woodbourne is a nearby area which was a town 100 years ago, no longer. Hyde Park is a suburb of Cincinnati, 60 miles from here. It also shows the county as Hamilton when it is actually Montgomery.
I think these errors may come from City-Data info, not sure.
I'm in the Centerville Historical society and although we know about the history of Woodbourne, no knows why this Zip ties to Hyde park.
CITY-DATA: Do you generate this info and pass on to Google? Can you correct these errors or explain if you think they're correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:30 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,688,015 times
Google, your new bestest friend:

Woodbourne-Hyde Park, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am from Dayton and I am a bit of an "old crossroads" geek. I knew about Woodbourne because it appears on older Ohio state gov published black and white county maps. No idea whatsoever about Hyde Park, but this Wikipedia entry shows that this is a recognized place name.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the reply and info. Woodbourne does appear on some maps, it's a Historic area near Centerville, once a thriving factory town with mills on Holes creek. I know the owners of the "Woodbourne Tavern", now a private home.
No one around here has heard of the Hyde Park reference. I checked 6 maps from 1806 to 1875-no reference. The Wikipedia article says that it was a CDP in 2000 but not in 2010, I think the census corrected the error.
I am certain both City-Data and Wikipedia are wrong since our Historical Society has records back to the 1700s with absolutely no reference to "Hyde Park". The only Hyde park in Ohio is in Cincinnati.
I don't know how, but I'd like to get the records corrected.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM

I have a completely baseless gut feeling that this probably not an error. It seems way too random to be a cartographic error.

Now, on many, many web sites, the 45036 zip code (Lebanon) is depicted as "Otterbien Home". (Which is now a retirement community to the west at Rt 63 & rt 741.) I first saw this mispelling for Otterbein in a zip code database that I received with a business database product back in the early 90s. I have seen this "Otterbien Home" typo in countless online directories, lists, map sites, etc. up to the present day.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but again, it seems too deliberate to be random. But I could be wrong.

The reason I say this is that small pioneer era crossroads are usually erased with few traces except really old family histories stored in archives at libraries. Even something kind of recent, like "Zimmerman", a place name on a sign along Dayton-Xenia rd back in the 70s, is absolutely unknown under a Google search.

There could even be a quirk of past naming: maybe the same place was Hyde Park for a couple of years, and Woodbourne for most of its life.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,053,915 times
I've heard that portion of Washington Township referenced too as such. My only guess is that the Hyde Park portion is in reference either to an estate or plot of land, or possibly named after another Hyde Park? Perhaps Ohioan58 is correct in that the name changed for a few years and then reverted? If the census noted it as Woodbourne-Hyde Park, there must be a reason, even if that reason is historical/statistical error.

Another thought, perhaps there is another Woodbourne in Ohio and for reasons of negating confusion, the Hyde Park was added into the name?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 AM

Thanks for your comments, but stubborn as I am, I remain convinced that the "Hyde Park" designation is in error. Our group is the Centerville Washington Township Historical Society and this area is within our borders of interest.
we have very extensive archives going back 200 years on land, residents and local history. While we have lots of history on the Woodbourne area (spelled Woodburn on the 1875 map), nothing appears about the Hyde Park.
I believe our local archives, gathered by the people who live here and documented in maps and records to be more reliable than "City-Data" which doesn't even have the county right, or the census, which we have found to be full of errors in geneological searches we have done. I don't know where these data bases get their information, but I'm sure there is a common source of the error. The only Hyde Park known in Ohio is in Hamilton County, near Cincinnati.
I looked at the History in Wikipedia-it's greek to me, but I may be able to determine where that info came from. If you know how to determine where City-Data gets their info it would be helpful. I'm determined to correct this.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 AM

Ed, I defer to your demonstrably greater resources for getting to the bottom of this.

City-Data seems to be like a lot of content farms on the internet - that boilerplate data is probably sourced from places like Wikipedia - they run software that scrapes place name data and fills a database of place names.

Or, from other content farms. Figuring out where data originates on the internet is like trying to figure out which was the first germ to multiply on a petri dish.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:24 PM

I printed the Wikipedia and City-Data pages and took them to a Historical society meeting full of long time Centerville and Woodbourne residents...they were astonished, none had ever heard of the "Hyde Park" reference except to mention the suburb of Cincinnati. We even have a small "history of Woodbourne" book written by a local, again, no mention of Hyde Park.
The census bureau seemed to figure out the error by 2010, but I wish I could figure out how to correct the other places. Never having contributed to Wikipedia, I tried to read how to do it, but I didn't ha e the rest of my life to devote to it. If anyone knows how to correct either of these sources, I'd gladly assist with documentation to support the correction.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:25 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,362,549 times
As an I.T. guy, I can tell you this - sometimes, web sites track you, not base don where you really are, but based on the way that the internet/I.P. packets are routed to your computer in the public internet infrastructure (the cables, routers and switches that run between your house and all the other people, corporations, and web servers on the planet). Your system may be routing data between your house and a switch/router which is programmed to think it is located in a certain area.

When you say that your computer thinks you are located in a certain area, how are you seeing this? Or how are you finding this info?

Last edited by SmartGXL; 02-25-2012 at 08:36 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 AM

"My computer thinks I live in Woodbourne-Hyde park" is not the real issue.
The real issue is that there is a "Woodbourne" nearby, but the "Hyde Park" suffix is erroneous.
That reference would pop up when I was doing local service searches.
Curious, I started looking to see where this error was coming from. Once I googled it, the "City-Data" info showed up. A responder tipped me off to Wikipedia and the Census. The census dropped the reference to "Hyde Park" for the 2010 census, not really because it discovered the error, but because of a change in listing small, unincorporated areas.
All of my local research confirms that the only Hyde Park in Ohio is the Cincinnati suburb, somehow mistakenly connected to Woodbourne area. This only confirms that amny data bases copy data from one another, perpetuating any errors.
Just for the principle of accuracy I'd like to get the error corrected, but my initial investigation shows this is not so simple....if I have the time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton