Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 14,923 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at apartments in the city of Dayton. I'm wondering if anyone has any info about what's going on in the Grafton Hill neighborhood, specifically on Central Avenue. I found what looks like a good deal there, but the area looks questionable. Thanks for any help with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 02:16 PM

348 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Are you a resident of Dayton? or you have never been in Dayton. Sp we may provide our answers to you.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 14,923 times
I have never been to Dayton before. I'm wondering what that particular area of Dayton is like.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,135 times
In a nutshell, the Grafton Hill area of Dayton used to be a very Bohemian community of artists and musicians. In the mid-sixties it underwent a dramatic metamorphosis into the highly integrated neighborhood that it is today. I am sorry but it is not an area that I would personally live in - way too much drug activity and associated crime. Also, the entire area has been economically depressed for years and is very rapidly degrading into a ghetto.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:53 PM

92 posts, read 346,961 times
Most in dayton would probably advise you not to put an offer on anything in Grafton before you've checked it out and visited it in person. You'll probably get conflicting reports on the area, but most will probably tell you that there is crime in the Grafton/Grafton Hills area, as it sits close to the Five Oaks (very high crime) area.

I would advise you to look at places in downtown proper where it is much more safe. Look at The Landing, The Cannery, and the many lofts that are available in the Downtown Area. The Landing being my first reccomendation. . . .they have lots of social functions they throw for their residents, which might be nice since you'll be from out of town and it'll give you a chance to meet people.

The Dayton Landing Apartments

The Cannery

Old 08-11-2008, 06:40 PM

10 posts, read 44,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98silverbolts7to15 View Post
I'm looking at apartments in the city of Dayton. I'm wondering if anyone has any info about what's going on in the Grafton Hill neighborhood, specifically on Central Avenue. I found what looks like a good deal there, but the area looks questionable. Thanks for any help with this.
I grew up in Dayton so I know.... In it's hayday that area was awesome...beautiful homes, yuppies, walking distance to town, etc. If you were to move there now you'd have to alarm the apt., add bars to the windows & doors, buy an AK-47 (to keep up with the Jones'), park your vehicle underground (garages are childplay for the thugs there), & know how to play dead realllyyy well! I now live in W. Kettering & thugs are moving in around me here...a teenager walked into my house a month ago in broad daylight. Needless to say we're moving much furthur south of Dayton than desired.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:43 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,053,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonWench View Post
I now live in W. Kettering & thugs are moving in around me here...a teenager walked into my house a month ago in broad daylight. Needless to say we're moving much furthur south of Dayton than desired.
Wow. Sorry to hear that. We've had some vandalism problems but its just dumb teenagers so I'm not palnning on moving just yet. Your story reminded me of an article I read in the paper (sorry can't link it cause it's too old) where a man at Woodman and Patterson in Kettering got carjacked at gunpoint. It does make me wonder if the naysayers are right and that Dayton's problems are spilling into the suburbs. That teens lucky he didn't walk into someone's house that had a CCW permit cause that could get ugly. But just a reminder to everyone in general, crime can happen anywhere, so just be smart and use common sense in locking things up and keeping valuables out of sight.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,334,200 times
Yea if you have enough money go for the loft apartments. They're so cool its not even funny. I got to go in them when they were all being built and check out lots of different floorplans.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:14 PM

10 posts, read 44,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Wow. Sorry to hear that. We've had some vandalism problems but its just dumb teenagers so I'm not palnning on moving just yet. Your story reminded me of an article I read in the paper (sorry can't link it cause it's too old) where a man at Woodman and Patterson in Kettering got carjacked at gunpoint. It does make me wonder if the naysayers are right and that Dayton's problems are spilling into the suburbs. That teens lucky he didn't walk into someone's house that had a CCW permit cause that could get ugly. But just a reminder to everyone in general, crime can happen anywhere, so just be smart and use common sense in locking things up and keeping valuables out of sight.
After the kid opened the door I jumped up & cussed at him like a crazy woman just to scare him & it did! He ran down the street to his house (he's new to the 'hood) but I caught up with him & told him (like you said) he was lucky I didn't have a gun because he'd be gasping for his last breath. He seemed shocked that I'd shoot him but apologized & said all he wanted was to see if I wanted my lawn mowed. I told him he got lucky at my house & may not be so lucky next time. The funny thing is he & his little brother have both been caught walking up to houses & looking into livingrooms...most of us here like our windows open during the day.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:48 AM

12 posts, read 69,333 times
I would stay away from Dayton period. I grew up in Dayton too and have watched it decline horribly. I now live in Preble County. It is a sad thing that happened to Dayton. It used to be such a nice city. The downtown area was really great at Christmas time. Now? No shopping and if you wanted to brave the town, you have to pay for the parking!
It was interesting to hear someone mention, "The Cannery". That used to be Lowe Brothers Paint Company. My grandpa worked there for years until Sherwin-Williams bought them out and he transfered to Chicago. I remember going to work with him and my grandmother and we would shop all day downtown and then go there, have a Wympee burger and wait till he got off work. You could do that then. That burger place is still there and looks exactly the same. Great burgers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton