Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 36,029 times

Advertisements

Is flooding a problem in any of the Dayton suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 36,029 times
Default Tree Lawn

City ordinances reference "the tree lawn" can anyone explain what that is?

Old 07-15-2006, 09:21 AM

976 posts, read 3,859,619 times
new york chief, you asked if Kettering was to restricted. I dont think it is at all. Like you said, that you might be reading too much. LOL i think you were. Kettering is a nice suburb but, Dayton has alot of suburbs out there that you might want to read about and check into.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new york chief
Would appreciate more info on Dayton suburbs and schools. Like to more about Miamisburg, Kettering area. Whats best places to live with family - kids in elementary and middle school. Looking for nice area - can you give me an idea about home prices?

Thanks
My family and I are also considering a move to Kellering area from Long Island. Would love information about the area! Thanks

Old 07-17-2006, 11:40 AM

Well, happysilver Dayton has alot of really nice suburbs. Starting with Kettering. It is about 15 miles SE of downtown Dayton. They built a new hospital in Kettering that in my opinion is a great hospital. Its called the Charles F Kettering Memorial Hospital. Its very big and very modern looking. The Dayton Mall is a big mall located in Kettering. So Kettering offers alot of entertainment and has a good school system.

Another great suburb is West Carrolton City. It is a very nice city with a location on the Holes Creek. The city has taken advantage of the creek and has put numerous parks along the creek. One is the Possum Creek Metro Park. That park is about the size of the city. Its pretty big. West Carrolton has an ok school system. Not as good as some other suburbs.

Trotwood is NW of downtown Dayton. Trotwood is home to the Salem Mall and has quite a bit of entertainment. It has only about 7,000 people and is very very safe with a great school system.

Shiloh is not to far from Trotwood. It is also close to the Salem Mall and also has a great school system.

Northridge is directly north of downtown Dayton. This town has alot of parks. The park system is very unique. I personally like Triangle Park where the Great Miami River breaks of in two and meets at a point to make a larger river which i cant think of the name. Northridge is also home to the Chrysler Corp (The Dayton Campus). And the KittyHawk Golf Course is right in town.

Vandalia is right next to the Dayton Int'l Airport. With easy access to Dayton along I-75. Its a nice small city around 10,000 people. Great school system and is a safe place to live.

Now two of my favorite Dayton suburbs are Piqua and Troy. They are about 30-45 mins from Dayton depending on traffic and are very safe with great school systems. The two have a very big school rivalry. They are far enough out in the metro that the country is just outside of the towns but, they are not very far from Dayton.

Overall Dayton is a great metro to be living in. Its not far from larger metros like Columbus and Cincinnati. Dayton has a great downtown that has gone under alot of renovations in the 90s and many new skyscrappers dote the skyline.

new york chief you mentioned Miamisburg which in my opinion south of Dayton offers alot. The southern suburbs of Dayton are growing a really good rates. Miamisburg, Franklin, and Middletown would be my first choices in moving to the Dayton metro. Hope this helped you guys.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:03 PM

34 posts, read 150,254 times
NOT MIDDLETOWN!!!! City is crumbling into decay. Moved there for 3 months and had to repack and move again. City taxes being used for WHAT?? Nothing to do with the residents. Crime rate has doubled in the past year. Lousy school system. Pitiful streets. One decent playground. Swimming pools in ruins. I'd rather drive an extra 20 miles than live in Middletown ever again.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:58 PM

Obviously that is your opinion. Me and my wife were just down there looking to move to Cincinnati. Middletown is very nice. It is growing very well. Obviously population growth speaks for itself. If the population is growing people find it an attractive area to live. Middletown and Hamilton were very nice communities.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:20 PM

Paintballer: I suggest you do some serious investigating. Middletown population is not growing. Every other house is up for sale. City finances are in shambles. City council is quickly becoming a joke in all of Ohio. I was actually warned by several co-workers who had lived there not to move there, but I didn't listen. Spent 3 months there and moved to Mason. The 4th of July celebration was cancelled this year due to lack of funds. City pools have been closed for two years due to lack of funds......etc.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Kettering

Elaine, I have a sneaking suspicion we work for the same Company. I work and live in Mason now, but will be working in Kettering in August as well. One of my co-workers has already moved up there and absolutely loves it. She has lived on the west side of Cincinnati for years and I thought would always prefer living there, but she and her husband said even if she lost her job here, they'd stay in Kettering, that's how much they like it.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:53 AM

Well actually happycow, in the last census Middletown grew by over 1,500 people to about a total of 51,000 residents. When i was down there last week i was very impressed with the city. We drove all over the Cincinnati metro looking at all the towns and cities, big and small. Middletown impressed me very much as did pretty much everywhere across SW Ohio. You dont realize how good of a state Ohio is till you see all of it. Construction across the state is booming. Middletown has some nice housing developments going up as well as quite a bit of commercial development. Not trying to start a conflict here. Just saying i went through alot of the city and was very impressed. There is a city called Penn Hills, Pennsylvania which is about the same size of Middletown, Ohio but, is in alot worse shape. Im originally from around that area, Monroeville, PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton