Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:56 PM

6 posts, read 25,566 times

Advertisements

We will move to Dayton in August. My daughter will go to Kindergarten this fall. I checked schooldigger.com and greatschools.org and found that many elementary schools in Dayton do not have Kindergarten. Could anyone suggest great elementary schools that have Kindergarten near U of Dayton? I should also rent an apartment in the first year in Dayton. Many Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 10:46 PM

235 posts, read 434,723 times
I'm not sure where you got your information, but there are very few schools that do not have kindergarten. As a matter of fact, kindergarten was made mandatory a few years ago.
If you're going to be in the UD area, it depends if you want private or public schools. Holy Angels Parochial School is almost on the grounds of UD, and they have an excellent kindergarten. There is a charter school close to there also, located in South Park Historical district by the name of Emerson Academy. The closest public school is Paterson-Kennedy. These are all three all day kindergarten. Holy Angels has a voucher program for those who cannot afford full tuition. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:47 AM

92 posts, read 348,393 times
If you're going to be near UD, I'd suggest trying to find a place in Oakwood to rent the first year. You would get the benefit of being really close to UD and having your child in one of the best schools in the state.

Also, Centerville has fantastic Kintergarden schools.

If you are living within Dayton proper, I'd try to find a place in Patterson Park or Shroyer Park and try to get your child enrolled in perhaps a private school.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:05 AM

Thank you!

I checked Harman Elementary school and Smith Elementary School in the Oakwood district. These two schools do not have kindergartens. John Hole Elementary School in the Centerville also does not have K.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:32 AM

Thanks, prfcttimeofday! I am thinking if public elementary schools are great, I won't choose private.

I will work at UD. So I hope we will live close to UD. Is it easy to rent an apt in Oakwood? Only Lange School in this district has kindergartens. The school web sites look nice. But it seems that the school transportation is not kid-friendly.

I also looked up schools in Beaver Creek. Valley Elementary, Shaw Elementary, Main Elementary, and Parkwood Elementary are very good schools too. Is it convenient to drive between Beaver Creek and UD? Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:01 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
The commute between Beavercreek and UD is probably about 20 minutes in rush hour on US35. It really isn't all that bad. As some people on this forum have said, it is extremly easy to get around most of Dayton. Another commutting option to UD is to take Patterson Rd to Far Hills Ave and be at UD's doorstep in 25 mintues (mainly slower due to lights). This back way might help once they start adding the third lane between Dayton's city limit and I-675. All of Beavercreek's elementary school's have kindergarten. Centerville's kindergarten program is located at one singal school dedicated solely to kindergarten instead of at each individual elementary school.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToDayton View Post
Thanks, prfcttimeofday! I am thinking if public elementary schools are great, I won't choose private.

I will work at UD. So I hope we will live close to UD. Is it easy to rent an apt in Oakwood? Only Lange School in this district has kindergartens. The school web sites look nice. But it seems that the school transportation is not kid-friendly.

I also looked up schools in Beaver Creek. Valley Elementary, Shaw Elementary, Main Elementary, and Parkwood Elementary are very good schools too. Is it convenient to drive between Beaver Creek and UD? Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
Hi Again!

Lange Elementary in Oakwood is only for Kindergarten students. The way that Oakwood's schools are set up is that everyone goes to Lange for Kintergarden and then your child will go to either Smith or Harman for the rest of their elementary education (grades 1-5?). All students will then go to Oakwood Jr. High and Oakwood High School together. Oakwood only has 9k residents, so it's a very tight-knit community that literally sits across from UD. Lots of college professors from UD and WSU reside in Oakwood.

As for transportation. .almost everyone walks to school, because the community is completely walkable. However, if you need transportation, Oakwood has a fleet of Chevy Suburbans that will transport children from their doorstep to their school and back. Also, if your child has special needs, they have a special bus from Kettering's school district that will pick them up and transport them.

Finding a place to rent is easy, if you have the chance to walk or drive around. A lot of the places are owned by locals and they won't advertise online, but rather have a sign in the front yard with a number to call. I've seen at least 5 houses and apartments just today with a sign like that out front. I also walk 2 miles everyday and so I get to see a big chunk of oakwood during that time.

Beavercreek, is also a wonderful area with great schools. . .it's exploding with population and retail. You'd be looking at a 20 minute or so drive everday. Best of luck on your new place and new job!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Thank you, wrightflyer. You are very familiar with schools in this area! I am now hesitating with schools in Centerville and Oakwood, since both districts have great middle and high schools too. If you were me, which district would you choose?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:01 AM

Hi, prfcttimeofday, thank you so much for your input.

I called Lange School. They only have half-day kindergarten and the after-school program is not that good. Other than that, I feel happy with schools in this district.

Most of my colleagues live really close to UD and they work toooooo hard.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToDayton View Post
Thank you, wrightflyer. You are very familiar with schools in this area! I am now hesitating with schools in Centerville and Oakwood, since both districts have great middle and high schools too. If you were me, which district would you choose?
you can't go wrong with either. . .they'll be getting a fantastic education at either. . .it'll come down to if you want to be in a larger school or a smaller one. If you think you're child is going to be interested in music/band I'd go with centerville. Oakwood has a great music program too, but nothing like centerville's which is nationally known and recognized. Centerville's orchestra was ranked 2nd in the country, their marching band 9th in the country. Also, their science olympiad team just won the national title last week.

You can see their marching band here:

YouTube - Wild Things (Centerville Jazz Band 2008 Show)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton