U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,199 times

Advertisements

I just got a job offer from IUE in Richmond, IN and decided to accept the offer for the next school year. I honestly don't think it would be a good idea for my mental and emotional well-being to live in Richmond, so I think I will live in Dayton and commute.

Is there a good website to search for housing? What would the best neighborhood be if I'm looking for more of an urban surrounding with good food, good grocery stores, cafes, bars, lounges, parks, and all that Dayton has to offer? Around Webster Station and Oregon?

I am looking for a two-bedroom loft type of a place or a house so I can use one of the rooms as my painting studio. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 02:47 PM

116 posts, read 333,455 times
Hi annbkim - welcome to Dayton! Though I hope you haven't been watching the news as we've just learned that our largest corporation NCR is leaving Dayton after 125 years... morale is down quite a bit around here these days.

But life goes on, and while I have nothing personal against Richmond I obviously understand your desire to live in the city. Your commute will be a bit long distance wise but little to no traffic, especially compared to Cinci.

Based on your criteria I'd recommend one of the apartments on Fifth Street in the Oregon District. This is also the entertainment district and there is nowhere in the entire region with more places to eat and drink within walking distance. However, there is no grocery store within walking distance, but if you're willing to drive to Richmond everyday then I guess driving to the grocery store shouldn't be a problem.

There are a few landlords on Fifth Street and the apartments are above the bars, stores and restaurants. They tend to be relatively unknown but those I've been in are actually quite nice and the people I've known that have lived there were happy there. Unfortunately there is not a website that lists them all that I'm aware of, but I can connect you if you contact me directly (private message?)

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,880,559 times
^
Richmond has a very progressive private college, Earlham. The town itself is a small industrial city, but actually in better shape than most. The "Rose City" has a sort of tongue-in-cheek fame as home to RV dealer Tom Raper, who adverstises extensively across this part of the Midwest. The countryside around Richmond, more to the north & west, is interesting as its one of the few rural Quaker areas oustide of Pennsylvania....

I did know people who commuted to work from Richmond, and its in the Dayton media market. So somewhat part of the region even if its across the state line.

Quote:
I am looking for a two-bedroom loft type of a place or a house so I can use one of the rooms as my painting studio. Any suggestions?
For Dayton, yes it would be downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods for you. You could probably find a big old Dayton house and use a room for studio real easy...probably cheaper or as much as you would rent a loft apartment downtown (they are more "apartment" than "loft" here).

Neighborhoods to look in, beside the obvious choice of the Oregon, would be Saint Annes Hill, Huffman, South Park. Further out there are areas off Wayne Ave, like maybe Walnut Hills. Or to the east, like Linden Heights or even Twin Towers, which is iffy but has great old buildings.

Or you could find a similar place in Richmond or any of the country towns and villages in the area....embracing the concept that you are in the 'heart of the heart of the country' (as in William Gass' short story). Once of the nicer country villages is Centerville, just west of Richmond on the old National Road (US 40).

@@@

You asked about groceries. You will not find general-purpose "Safeway" style supermarket grocery stores close-in and neighborhood deli/groceries are nonexistant. You will have to drive to the suburbs for grocery shopping, execpt for a few convenience or Mexican/Latino places closer in.

For places to rent you might try the online want-ads from the Dayton Daily News or Craigslist.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:44 PM

218 posts, read 328,476 times
Many Dayton neighborhoods have a grocery located in them. You do not have to go the suburbs for your shopping. There is a Super Walmart located about 3 miles from the Oregon District, a Krogers about a mile up the road, and a larger Krogers about 2 1/2 miles from there.
Good luck in your hunting, and looking forward to seeing some new talent in the area.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:45 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,880,559 times
Quote:
There is a Super Walmart located about 3 miles from the Oregon District
...in suburbia, in Kettering.

Quote:
, a Krogers about a mile up the road
...which is closing.

Quote:
, and a larger Krogers about 2 1/2 miles from there
...on Smithville & US35. This would be the viable alternative for people living close in for weekly grocery shopping.

And Dorothy Lane Market in Oakwood, which is also close in.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 AM

24 posts, read 60,967 times
Hi annbkim, sounds like we're coming to Dayton around the same time for similar reasons and looking for similar amenities (I've got a Visiting Professor art history position and for that matter lived in the Bay Area for 19 years). So... if you haven't already, you might want to look at all the helpful suggestions people have given for my own query on the forum.

I'll be visiting Dayton this weekend and plan to move at the beginning of August (will be in the Bay Area most of the time in-between that), so if you'd like to explore the city with me a bit in August, let me know. I'll be working mainly with studio artists and have also been introduced to a couple of congenial Dayton people via mutual friends, so some of these might be people you'd like to meet.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,895,503 times
[quote=JefferyT;9119968 The "Rose City" has a sort of tongue-in-cheek fame as home to RV dealer Tom Raper, who adverstises extensively across this part of the Midwest.[/quote]

Including that FUGLY billboard that RUINS the view of the beautiful new Dayton Daily News printing plant next to I-75...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 06-04-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-05-2009, 01:38 PM

389 posts, read 888,753 times
Default Downtown needs to offer more normal stuff

I think the real reason people don't want to live downtown is because it is so inconvenient. People lke the normalness of the suburbs. They like that your average convenient store is on every corner. Not everyone likes the small business atmosphere. They don't want to have to drive for fifteen or twenty minutes to get to a Walmart. People like the suburbs because they are stereotypically reliable and you never know when downtown is just going to flop again. I would love to live downtown but there is nothing to do down there. Everything is just so uninteresting. People don't care about the arts and museums that live in the suburbs- they car about shopping and having a spacious house. They like knowing that they can turn their music up as high as they want and there won't be someone beneath you that is pissed off. If downtown Dayton REALLY wants to see growth, they need to advertise better, get more national retail chains, and offer really good conservative schools. They need to show convenience and they need to quit branding themselves as a place of being unique because honestly, and I truly hate to say this, most people don't care for...unique.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:13 PM

116 posts, read 333,455 times
^ and that is EXACTLY why you should continue living in the suburbs. You've simply reiterated my point - downtown living is NOT for everybody. That goes for every city in America - there are literally millions of people who live in the suburbs of Chicago that feel exactly the same way as you, and would never live in the city no matter what. I know because my own mother is one of them.

The thing you have to realize is that while you find downtown inconvenient and uninteresting, others find it the opposite. Some people would rather never have to see the inside of a Wal-Mart if they can help it. Some people actually do care more about arts and culture than they do about shopping and having a huge house. Some people actually prefer a restaurant district that has all local joints instead of national chains. Some people like the convenience of walking rather than having to drive everywhere. And yes, some people DO want unique.

When you say people don't want to live downtown, you should actually say that people "like you" don't want to live downtown. I totally understand that you represent the majority (especially in the midwest), but that doesn't mean that you represent everybody.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:40 PM

104 posts, read 271,684 times
There's nothing to do downtown? Are you kidding me? Tonight alone there was the Courteous Mass bike ride, a potluck at C}Space, First Friday - and I knew two people that had shows in two different galleries this month - we had dinner with friends at Coco's on the patio, which meant we didn't make it to the South Park Tavern. Not to mention the Dragons game, the movie at Garden Station and who knows what else I may have missed. There was, as with most weekends, TOO much going on downtown and I couldn't get to all of it. Maybe you need to check out www.dayton.mostmetro.com to find out what is going on downtown!

The WalMart in Kettering is about a 5 minute drive, maybe 10 if you hit every red light.

Jeffery - the Kroger a mile away is NOT closing, they're just not relocating and building new.

As for spacious houses, I have a 2500 sq ft completely renovated one, but it's probably too big for annbkim. There are homes in South Park as big at 5000 sq ft, - grand victorians with a lot more charm than you'll find in a modern subdivision. And that's the other big difference - in the burbs they're subdivisions, in the city, they're neighborhoods because most people know each other very well. But, as Billy alluded to and my Mom always says "to each his own". I wouldn't live in downtown Chicago, but I'd live in downtown Dayton.

@annbkim - I have a friend whose husband commutes daily to Richmond and has done so for 6 years. I've never lived farther than 11 miles (which is about 15 minutes drive time) away from work, so the thought of an hour commute is totally foreign to me. But if you're coming from the Bay Area in CA, that's probably normal for you.

I wish I had something in South Park to offer you other than the very large house, but we've just been filling up lately with other really cool people. If you find something in the area, stop by the South Park Tavern some Friday night and meet the neighbors. Just in case, you might check www.historicsouthpark.org for current listings.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or