U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:27 AM

116 posts, read 333,863 times

Advertisements

^ "nothing to do downtown" - yeah, I always laugh when I hear that. That is another example of the divide between suburbs and downtown, as it seems like most people who don't live in the city have absolutely no idea what is going on in the city. Trust me, as somebody from a much larger city I can say that there are many things happening in Dayton - but not all of those things aren't necessarily for everybody.

However, I actually do understand how people might think that there is "nothing to do downtown" and it isn't necessarily the fault of those who don't come downtown very often. The downtown area of Dayton (which includes the CBD, OD, Webster Station, SP, and UD area) is EXTREMELY disconnected. There are too many dead areas between livelier spots, so it is hard to attract a critical mass. But there are efforts to fix this, most notably the Wayne Ave corridor between the Oregon District and the Cannery.

There is also not nearly enough "street vibrancy" to make downtown feel alive. There are so many venues that may be packed inside but you wouldn't know it from outside. More outdoor patios, cafes and street entertainment would help this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 03:55 PM

92 posts, read 306,743 times
Our beautiful downtown. . Enjoy! :-)

YouTube - Dayton Skyline after Dark

Old 06-12-2009, 08:52 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,516,619 times
Dayton has a great skyline for a city of its size, and there have been a lot of great a big projects that have happened in the downtown lately.

If people want to praise the suburbs and say forget downtown, let them do so. But they are the people and the reason why American downtowns all across the nation have been in decline, and American cities compared to others across the globe are suffering really bad. The trend is changing though, and I cant wait for the next decade.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:39 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,926,909 times
VERY nice, Prfcttimofday! Many thanks for sharing! Yep, I'm guilty of not making time to get downtown. (Part of it is all the darn yard work out here in the suburbs) I love photography and ashamed I haven't taken my camera out much since we've lived here...sigh.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:05 AM

104 posts, read 272,102 times
I've been pondering this urban/suburban thing the past few days. It seems to me that if you live in downtown Dayton, you still rely on the suburbs for some shopping or amenities (Trader Joe's, DLM, Malls, general retail, etc). Yet it's possible to live in the 'burbs without ever venturing downtown for anything (except for the arts at Schuster, Victoria, etc). Overall this isn't healthy for the region. As I've said elsewhere, cities are the heart of a region and just like with the body, if your heart isn't healthy, it affects the rest of the body and the extremities. For Dayton to be a healthy region, we need greater circulation. I'm not suggesting everyone needs to live downtown, but more frequent visits would help a lot. Mostly, bring your kids downtown so they are exposed to it and become used to it as well.

Beavercreek33 is absolutely correct - there are converging factors making city life more desirable and feasible in the future - rising fuel costs, the desire for walkable neighborhoods, people wishing to reduce their carbon footprint, etc.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:27 AM

116 posts, read 333,863 times
I'd like for the urban-vs-suburban argument to disappear because it really makes no sense. The Dayton Region has very good suburbs, rural areas AND decent urban neighborhoods. You can prefer suburban living and still appreciate the fact that our region has rural and urban options, and vice-versa. And yes - many urban advocates are just as guilty when they talk badly about the suburbs and suburbanites. That drives me just as crazy!

That said, I am still anti-sprawl because it is very harmful to the urban core and the only people that benefit are developers (and perhaps politicians whose campaigns are funded by such developers). Suburbanites have been fooled into thinking that more development is good because it adds to their tax base, but may now be discovering that more development also brings more infrastructure to maintain, more school crowding, more traffic and less open green space - something that people move the suburbs for in the first place.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:40 AM

And ironically, now cities are looking to eliminate vacant structures and add more green space, gardens and wild flower areas. Dayton is encouraging home owners to acquire vacant adjacent lots and creating their own "estate lots" - with lots of yard and space between homes. Is it possible the urban core will ultimately offer what people now seek in the 'burbs?

My hubby accuses me of wanting everyone to live in the city, which is not true. What I want is for people to come down and enjoy downtown and all it has to offer and to stop perpetuating the crime myth. We have long memories in this town - someone may have been killed in a location 20-30 years ago, but it's still deemed unsafe today. That's crazy! That would be like my saying I went to the Greene two years ago and didn't find any shops that interest me - and expecting that NOTHING had changed in that time frame.

Regions evolve - look at how Beavercreek has changed in the past 20 years. And Fairborn. Springboro. I'm just suggesting that we all get out and explore the region and form opinions based on actual experience vs media reports or urban legend.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,926,909 times
Honestly, I DO realize that I'm missing out on some really cool goings-on in Dayton. And it's not that I don't want to get down there. My biggest stumbling block is a "retirement" job that takes up 55+ hours every week of my time. And odd hours, to boot. I really hope to get my wife and myself downtown more...

I'm almost embarrased to say that we refer to the local evening news as "The Stupid Ones in Dayton are Misbehaving Again". But that's not fair because all across America, "if it bleeds, it leads" , which says a lot more about all of us than it does about Dayton...

We weren't born in Dayton, but we got here as fast as we could...

Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy from Dayton View Post

That said, I am still anti-sprawl because it is very harmful to the urban core and the only people that benefit are developers (and perhaps politicians whose campaigns are funded by such developers). Suburbanites have been fooled into thinking that more development is good because it adds to their tax base, but may now be discovering that more development also brings more infrastructure to maintain, more school crowding, more traffic and less open green space - something that people move the suburbs for in the first place.
Video to get a sense of new urbanism projects | Congress for the New Urbanism Check out the video "Built to Last" and while you're at it, poke around a bit at the website. The Center for New Urbanism is all about helping people understand the consequences of sprawl. Yes, we all have the choice of where we live, but there are consequences to some of those decisions. Not trying to change anyone's minds, just expand them a bit!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:43 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,516,619 times
Question:

What is that silver steel rotunda thing they are building downtown? I have no clue, and have no wondered or asked questions about it until now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or