U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 PM

389 posts, read 888,556 times

Advertisements

[/quote] 3. Ever heard of Seattle, Portland, Boston, San Francisco, NYC, or Chicago? These are probably some of the most liberal cities in the US, and also some of the most powerful and successful. It is definitely possible to run a clean, efficient, livable, and thriving city with liberal politics behind it.

4. Ever been to Paccia, Stars Lounge on the Crowne Plaza, Coco's, Thai 9 or Cafe Boulevard, not to mention the many other fine resraunts I left off? Ever been to a Dragons Game or Caresource? 'Nuff said about your arguement that the CBD lacked food, business, or sports.[/quote]

First off, there aren't liberal politics behind it. Most of the big buildings that make those cities are run by very right wing people. I think you're getting business mixed up with culture. Culturally- yes those are liberal cities, business- not so much. Not so much at all. And if you want to argue that you're an idiot.

Secondly, the list you gave of restaurants has about thirty restaurants on it. Ahem. Thirty. Again. Ahem. Thirty. Not alot. Compare the size od downtown Dayton to that size of an area in manahattan or chicago and you would find probably about 150 different restaurants.

And what does Caresource have to do with anything? Is there a secret track down on the seventh floor we don't know about. That doesn't relate to health except for the fact that is a partially-government run facility that organizes a government run health program. Ahem. Liberalism.

Lastly, if there weren't conservatives in cities like Portland or Seattle or New York or Chicago building big office towers for people to work in, then those restaurants on the first floor wouldn't be open, would they? Disagree? Here's my proof: Dayton has a 25% vacancy rate in it's office towers, do you see business booming downtown, no you don't. It's not because there are liberals. Yes there might be a few liberal big business owners. But the people that generally offer jobs, small business, big business, coporations, are generally conservative.

And a Dayton Dragon's game. ONE ammentity, that's during the summer ONLY.
Are you kidding me? Quit makign excuses, start getting. I'm not saying throw out the liberals because whether your a democrat or a republican it doesn't matter- there's a market for that downtown. But to say the generally conservative suburbanites don't want to go downtown is a dumb statement. Before the 1970's when there where still alot of stores downtown, and more things to do, people from all over would go downtown. Ask any of your grandparents.
And like I said. Just because you live downtown doesn't mean you have a clear outlook on the city. It will obviously be biased. Perhaps there are things you know that I don't. But I think there are things we can all learn from eachother. And if we ever want Dayton to be the city that it once was or even better, we're gonna have to get past the fact that we have differences, and work together in the most honest, fair, and positive way possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,879,876 times
I guess the difference between conservatives in the Bay Area and Chicago (both places I've actually lived) and Dayton are that the ones in Dayton are ignorant and square.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:13 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,505,448 times
Billy, you logic makes sense. Keep going, you know what you are talking about. I see it on a daily basis. And somedays working 13 hours downtown, I have seen it all.

Downtown Dayton is not perfect, but most downtowns in American cities really aren't. Sorry, thats the era we have entered. Lets build build build, lets chew up countryside and build malls, and forget about the center citys that have really helped build this country. Things are changing though, thank god!

Old 08-07-2009, 05:40 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,463,558 times
For quite some time, I have contemplated a downtown loft in Dayton. The primary stumbling blocks are my love of gardening, so unless I could have full access to the roof for container gardening, I think I might be a fish out of water. Anther issue is getting to the top of a downtown building. I'm no fan of elevators and with COPD and asthma, using the stairs, especially with groceries would be more of a challenge than my health could handle.

But there is no harm in thinking about it.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 PM

116 posts, read 333,393 times
^ you might want to check out Oregon District or South Park; all of the CBD condos and apartments have elevators and/or stairs, and only the Lofts on St. Clair have a rooftop where you might be able to do some light gardening.

Litehouse Townhomes at First and Patterson (currently under construction and about to get started back up after a long hiatus) have green roofs with access, but also have three flights of stairs.

Not much in the way of ranch-style homes in downtown, but it is always possible to find a second floor unit if you're willing to compromise.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 PM

5 posts, read 15,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
I guess the difference between conservatives in the Bay Area and Chicago (both places I've actually lived) and Dayton are that the ones in Dayton are ignorant and square.
I am dissapointed that you think that. I have met MANY very kind and considerate conservatives throughout the Dayton area. I wish you wouldn't say that people are ignorant because that is the type of talk that separates, not unites. Also, I would like to comment that downtown Dayton IS a little to liberal. I think they could use some more conervative type ammentities like a work out center, or a gym. I've been downtown to go to nightclubs too and what is it with all the gay bars? Hmmmmm. We have a lot of those and not alot of just normal places. I think it is unfair to make fun of nickolasposter that way by calling him ignorant. He just has a strong opinion that is rare for Dayton. Dayton needs a few of those....if you know what I mean.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 PM

92 posts, read 306,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvDYT View Post
. I think it is unfair to make fun of nickolasposter that way by calling him ignorant. He just has a strong opinion that is rare for Dayton. Dayton needs a few of those....if you know what I mean.
Hahahahhahaha.. . you are nickolaseposter!!

Both IPS are originating from the same place: Boscoe Ave: Vandalia, Oh 45377

Old 08-07-2009, 08:33 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,891,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
For quite some time, I have contemplated a downtown loft in Dayton. The primary stumbling blocks are my love of gardening, so unless I could have full access to the roof for container gardening, I think I might be a fish out of water. Anther issue is getting to the top of a downtown building. I'm no fan of elevators and with COPD and asthma, using the stairs, especially with groceries would be more of a challenge than my health could handle.

But there is no harm in thinking about it.
Alice, we'd love to have you back in Dayton!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:51 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,879,876 times
Quote:
I think they could use some more conervative type ammentities like a work out center, or a gym. I've been downtown to go to nightclubs too and what is it with all the gay bars? Hmmmmm. We have a lot of those and not alot of just normal places.
Theres a gym at 4th & Kenton plus one over in the Landing.

Straight dance places downtown:

1. Hammerjax
2. Club 88
3. Vex

Gay dance places downtown:
1. Masque

@@@

Straight bars downtown:
1. J Allens
2. Sidebar
3. Citilites
4. Gregorys
5. Century
(and if you want to count them as downtown)
6. Canal Street Tavern
7. Southern Belle

Gay Bars downtown
1. Aquarius
2. Stage Door
3. Right Corner
4. MJs

Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,347,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgasper View Post
Too funny, recently a woman from Berkeley CA who relocated to Dayton for a year or so eventually left when she & her partner split up. Her reasoning? Dayton was just too conservative for her! As my Mom would say "to each his own".
Actually, the LACK of liberalism in Dayton is probably one of its biggest pitfalls. Cincinnati has long ago established itself as the "conservative city" in the region, giving Dayton somewhat of a lack of definition when it comes to its politics.

If Dayton (again, talking city propler) could revamp itself as a liberal and creative place, then it could probably be more successful like the Pacific Northwest...... but wait, isn't this beginning to happen already ? I can't wait to see our beautiful city in future years, a haven of free, creative thought, much like it was 100 years ago when Dayton was THE place for innovation and invention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or