Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 07:30 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
LOL! I see there is still pain...sorry. I just thought people there would be interested to know and I thought it was relevant. I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

Do you actually think any company is going to build a $200 million headquarters every 5-10 years? This one will be in use for a while - it's not just a move to a nondescript suburban office building.
Isn't Atlanta... or one of its many soulless suburbs, making taxpayers pay for the move and construction of a brand new billion dollar baseball stadium for the Braves? And to a location which has zero connectivity to anything around it? I think that's probably a far more egregious problem than Atlanta giving NCR more corporate welfare, but it does indicate that the Atlanta area would definitely shell out big money for private companies to move.

BTW, it's pretty clear you only bumped this thread to get a reaction. Why would anyone in Dayton be happy about this or find it all that interesting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 08:49 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Not sure if you guys have seen the latest NCR news...new $200 million/350' NCR Corporate Headquarters under construction in Midtown Atlanta at Technology Square, adjacent to Georgia Tech:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...5o0&ajaxhist=0

Some of the comments about Atlanta in this thread were appalling...I know it's tough losing a F500 HQ (Atlanta has lost some too) but the disparaging comments about Atlanta's lack of culture and appeal were obviously just the pain speaking. I hope it has changed over the past 7 years and people aren't still hating on Atlanta there.
Blowin' Money Fast.

And yes, they will be doing new HQ's every 5-10 years. From a taxation standpoint, it's in their best interest to play musical chairs.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:34 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Technology people don't "like" Ohio or rust belt locations....
Agreed. "Technology people" have disdain for the Heartland, whether that Heartland is in the middle of America or in the middle of Germany or England. Such persons prefer the world's glamour-capitals, eschewing the inland regions and the secondary cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
... its all about the perception - you have to look like a winner to be a winner - i.e. have a business in the hot "it" place where all the other businesses are, a sparklier bustling city that's perceived as the place to be...

So what I guess I'm saying is that the Midwestern Values of conservative and sound business decisions made with thrift and responsibility to your community and workers is now dead. The old model that the Germans and Dutch ...
I'd regard this more as the Calvinist model, than one of any particular national or ethnic origin. I don't think that this model is in decline, or limited to the Midwest. Surely it's just as prevalent in New England. But what is changing, is that the early 20th century model of industry and agriculture is obsolescing, for a bevy of reasons. Industry/agriculture lends itself to decentralization and a strong transportation network between multiple local concentrations of activity. The new situation is one of overwhelming concentration in a handful (less than 10) cities nationwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgasper View Post
Once people come here and experience Dayton, they typically fall in love. Sometimes they may not land in the right place right away....
I've observed this among several colleagues at work. As a person who himself moved here in the 1990s for career-purposes, I don't share this view; but I do agree that it's relatively common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
...We moved on a LONG time ago....
We have, but the broader issue of corporate flight from the Rust-Belt is perennial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
... Why would anyone in Dayton be happy about this or find it all that interesting?
I'm neither happy nor unhappy, but as a frequent business travel to Atlanta, the update is at least interesting.

Actually, I find much similarity between Dayton and Atlanta. Neither city is on a navigable river, a lake or a coast. Both are at crossroads of major highways. Both have a moderately-sized (in proportion to the metro area) downtown, with proportionately sprawling suburbs. Both have a tension between suburban affluence and real or perceived inner-city blight. And both have a feeling of wounded inferiority, in the case of Dayton relative to the 3-C's, and in the case of Atlanta relative to Chicago or NYC.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:22 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Blowin' Money Fast.

And yes, they will be doing new HQ's every 5-10 years. From a taxation standpoint, it's in their best interest to play musical chairs.
Government isn't "giving" anything to a company except for what government tried to take away in the first place. It's the same way Kettering offered Reynolds and Reynolds a sweet tax deal to move out of the city... the story goes that Mike Turner manager to personally **** the CEO off during his tenure as mayor which didn't help...

Old 06-06-2016, 08:55 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Isn't Atlanta... or one of its many soulless suburbs, making taxpayers pay for the move and construction of a brand new billion dollar baseball stadium for the Braves? And to a location which has zero connectivity to anything around it? I think that's probably a far more egregious problem than Atlanta giving NCR more corporate welfare, but it does indicate that the Atlanta area would definitely shell out big money for private companies to move.

BTW, it's pretty clear you only bumped this thread to get a reaction. Why would anyone in Dayton be happy about this or find it all that interesting?
Cobb County spent all its money on Braves stadium, doesn’t have enough left for public parks | Field of Schemes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton