Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 PM

555 posts, read 1,572,961 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

I am graduating within less than a year and have gotten an offer from a company for a good paying entry level position as a server technician in Kettering. How is the area? I assume that it is a pretty nice area as there's a lot of suburbs, parks and woods, but I would like to know the truth from Dayton natives. Any decent apartments to start out at in the area? Preferably near Delco Park? I'm not picky so anything that isn't a total dump would be fine for me, lol.

I currently live in southeast Columbus and decided that it would be too long of a commute from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,158 times
Delco Park is near the center of Kettering and accessible to everywhere. There are a lot of apartment options within even three miles. For upscale and expen$ive apartments, look at The Greene (developed by the same developer who did Polaris Center in C'bus.)

Kettering is an older but stable original suburb of Dayton. The Wilmington Pike/Dorothy Lane area is fraying and dated but most other areas of Kettering are OK to upscale.

Kettering is a good compromise. It's close to things but generally does not have urban style problems like gangs, excessive traffic congestion and high crime.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:51 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
For upscale and expen$ive apartments, look at The Greene (developed by the same developer who did Polaris Center in C'bus.)
Not to be picky, but The Greene's developer was responsible for Easton, not Polaris. However, Fairfield Commons developer is responsible for Polaris. By the way, I love how you spelled "expensive"

(That seems rather nerdy of me to know all that).

Last edited by wrightflyer; 06-18-2009 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Love of Spelling

Old 06-18-2009, 05:12 PM

104 posts, read 313,785 times
A lot depends on what you're looking for and if you prefer urban or suburban neighborhoods. I've recently met a lot of 20 & 30 somethings that want to move FROM Kettering TO Dayton because as nice as they find Kettering to be, many of the neighbors are old. One couple in particular is moving FROM The Greene because of shoddy construction in a brand new townhouse. They said all the windows are drafty, they have three sets of french doors, none of which work properly and one of which leaks every time it rains and they can't get management to fix it. They also prefer an authentic urban neighborhood to a "fake one" (their words). This is a couple that formerly lived in Chicago. And I have to say that anyone I've met lately who has ever lived in Chicago and who has ended up in Kettering has not been happy there even though they're quick to point out that it's nice there.

I'm in Kettering a lot and I like it, but I live in Beavercreek and work in South Park. Kettering has a lot of great assets - especially The Fraze. Again, it just depends on the lifestyle you prefer, but you can find something in just about any price range there.

And I had to chuckle a bit at Ohioan58's comment about "gangs, excessive traffic congestion and high crime" - it's not like we're LA or Chicago! Do we even have excessive traffic congestion in this town? I had a former client from Baltimore that described a Dayton traffic jam as four cars slowing down to 65 mph.

Good luck in your search. If you have an interest in historic neighborhoods, South Park is a good one but we're running low on rentals right now in this market.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:04 PM

Well, I wouldn't be able to afford anything too nice and fancy, I'm looking at making about 25 grand a year. I don't really have a preference for urban or suburban, just as long as it's a good area and I feel safe.

Don't really mind old people, the neighborhood I live in now is filled with them

Old 06-18-2009, 07:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
There are a lot of apartments off Dorothy Lane and Woodman Drive, in the vicinity of Delco park. These seem to be 1960s vintage, so not the upscale new things...thus rents lower. Rents might be reasonable for your income level. Commuting would be a breeze, too...in fact, depending on the locations of your work and your apartment, you might be able to bike to work..it would be that close.

Another group of apartments would be off Stroop Road just south of The Greene. There are even more farther south off Wilmington Pike south of Stroop.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,158 times
Fear not, Kettering is basically cheap/moderate apartment central of the Miami Valley.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Any opinions on the Colony of Kettering Apartments? They seem reasonably priced and in a decent area. Plus it's right down the road from this job.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:46 PM

26 posts, read 62,538 times
I just moved to charlotte from kettering and miss it terribly. I wanted to let you know you need to stay away from Georgetown appts on Far Hills. It is actually a very nice area of west kettering but I have only heard bad things about that complex. It is considered ghetto of kettering. They have drug issues and about 2-3 years ago a guy killed his wife-very bad stuff. BTW, so is Fox Hunt and that area. If you want cheap you may consider Van Buren appts but i am sure there are shady things that happen there too. i lived very close to that area. If you wanted nice you might have to go to Centerville or Beavercreek. I grew up in Beavercreek and love it there just couldn't afford a home there. YOu may want to consider looking on craigslist or dayton daily news or the Kettering Oakwood Times (small local paper) for a home in kettering instead of apartment. Somtimes you can rent a home for only a little more than an apartment and have more room.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:28 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
The Colony of Kettering complex seems to be decent. It's somewhat caddycorner to The Greene and, while older, has never made any "bad" list I have heard of in recent times.

I have heard bad things about Fox Hunt and some of the aparments near it. I can't remember if it was because some of it is designated low income, but I do remember multiple people saying negative things about that area of Kettering.

Even Beavercreek and Centerville have complexes that have their share of problems. Just talk to the residents and get their opinions. Usually, however, for most complexes in Beavercreek, Centerville, and Kettering, it is just a matter of petty/property crime. Basically you should (always) keep valuables out of sight and under lock and key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton