Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,150 times

Advertisements

You're welcome! I like digging into these urban legends.

If you look at that first link you'll see why that old Steve Whalen Boulevard interchange was so overdesigned...it was the start of a freeway south to Centerville (and evenutally to Lebanon).

Another leftover from the grand plans of the 1950s & 60s: Dayton's Lost Highway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:25 AM

164 posts, read 381,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
You're welcome! I like digging into these urban legends.

If you look at that first link you'll see why that old Steve Whalen Boulevard interchange was so overdesigned...it was the start of a freeway south to Centerville (and evenutally to Lebanon).

Another leftover from the grand plans of the 1950s & 60s: Dayton's Lost Highway
You've got some incredibly well-researched and written stuff out there, Jeffrey! I'm a huge old road / abandoned roads buff so I could spend days dissecting everything. Your stuff about I-675 and the Newfields was fascinating... I'll be sure to read more in the future. Keep up the great work.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:51 PM

Thanks! I was fortunate that the library had an extensive clippings folder on the 1970s highway controversy, so was able to go in depth.

They had an equally comprehensive file on the Arcade redevelopment, and I based a series of four or five posts off that, too, though I'm not sure if its of interest to this board, since this is supposed to help people relocate, not provide history stuff.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:08 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,399 times
Sorry, computer screwed up with above post.

Anyways, Jeffery, I've read the Arcade stuff you mentioned, and it would probably be interesting to the majority of posters here. I know this isn't exactly an "urban" site, but it is still some good stuff that should be shared, and actually, my interest in Trotwood/City of Dayton in general and your posts on Newfields, Olde Towne, and Salem Mall led me into the world of foruming to begin with.

So, maybe you'll inspire a few others lurking out there, so by all means, post the links to your awesome threads!!!!! (or I can always get them....)

Old 08-02-2009, 03:46 PM

390 posts, read 1,047,969 times
DON'T SUGGEST THINGS LIKE THAT! We have a dumb mayor that will try and pass anything that costs millions of dollars whether it helps the city or not.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:05 PM

^
Really? I doubt a western bypass would help Vandalia so why would your mayor be interested?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
Since this talks about highway construction in general, what are your general takes on what construction projects should be given top priority? The DDN had an interesting article with some interesting comments (most were actually rather rational) on the proposed recontruction of US35 from Steve Whalen to I675, mainly focusing on the ramp closure(s) at Dayton-Xenia/Linden and US35 east. Does ODOT have their heads up you know where? Is this project worthwile? Are there other more important projects that should be completed first before US35 is torn up yet again?

This next part is mostly a rant, so if you want info on the open house for the US35 project, scroll to the bottom.

IMHO, I find that Day-Xenia exit to be quite useful when I'm over there. As many of the posters on the DDN comment section made clear, Woodman is already overcrowded and Fairfield will just get worse if they close the exit. Not only that, but Fairfield is in the opposite direction from where people want to go. Then there is the question of the ongoing widening of Dayton-Xenia in Western Beavercreek. Why even bother with this if the ramp that brings that traffic is going to close? Of course, it is too late now to stop that project as it has already started, and traffic will just bottleneck on Day-Xenia going to the Fairfield exit or Linden going towards Woodman. It looks like someone at ODOT (or maybe MVRPC) wasn't thinking when they designed this plan.

As for other area road projects, they really need to fix the US35 at-grade interchanges in Eastern Beavercreek first. People here whine when they sit through two cycles at a light at rush hour. That isn't anything compared to the DC Metro (or even Columbus) where some interchanges take 5-10 minutes to clear or it takes 30-45 mintues to go 5-10 miles. People here just don't seem to understand how good they have it.

Possible removal of U.S. 35 interchange irks business owners

What: Public input is requested on the plan to widen U.S. Route 35 and the possible removal of the Linden Avenue and Dayton-Xenia Road interchanges

When: 4 to 7 p.m. Aug. 27

Where: Carroll High School, 4524 Linden Ave., Riverside

Old 08-11-2009, 02:05 PM

^
I get confused at the D-X Road exit, thinking its the off ramp to I-675 South, since they are so close and the signs sort of impy that.

But those eastern BC at-grade intersections are sort of annoying as you hit them after coming off a long stretch of limited access. US 35 is a good example of the quasi-expressways proposed for the Dayton area in the 1940s and early 1950s, which had limited access except at the intersections.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
^Yeah, it's funny how they planned things back in the 40's and 50's. It's like the interstate system was on the tip of the designers tongue.

As much as I like the limited access of the interstate and some state highways, I still enjoy the back roads, like US42 from Lebanon to Marysville. It's when you have multiple lanes with heavy traffic and some truck traffic that those roads' at-grade intersections become annoying.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:46 PM

390 posts, read 1,047,969 times
Question Your officially a complete loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
^
Really? I doubt a western bypass would help Vandalia so why would your mayor be interested?
First of all I was referring to Rhine McClin and secondly Bill Loy of Vandalia is a GREAT mayor and don't ever insult him again. I know his daughter and she is really smart and you need to stop ranting about people you don't even know about. You are so mean and talk crap about people you don't even know. Why don't you leave city-data for good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton