Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 PM

390 posts, read 1,048,089 times

Advertisements

A new building similar to this one???
What are YOUR thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,821 times
Very random post, Nick.

Any plans of such a thing being built in town? As always, I'm for more development in the CBD, but with the economy now and the 25% vacancy rate downtown, I'm not sure if building new instead of rehabbing the quality buildings we have is such a great idea.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,539 times
Nice neo-modern elevation.

But downtown Dayton needs new skyscraper like a hole in the head.

The ones that are already there have 20% vacancy and up, and all of them are or have had financial problems.

If anything downtown Dayton could lose a few skyscrapers since what little demand there is can't even support the current inventory.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:33 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,830 times
Holy Crap! Do you guys really have a 20 % office vacancy? You won't need another skyscraper for the next 50 years! I was alarmed at my cities office vacancy (norfolk, va) was at 6.5%

Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Holy Crap! Do you guys really have a 20 % office vacancy? You won't need another skyscraper for the next 50 years! I was alarmed at my cities office vacancy (norfolk, va) was at 6.5%

50 years!!! No.

Dayton already has a good skyline for a city of its size, and the skyline is dense too. I am not too worried about getting a skyscraper too soon, but in the coming years, one would be nice. My current building, the CareSource building in Downtown Dayton was just finished last year.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Any reason why you are on this section of the forum anyway? You moving here soon?

Old 07-29-2009, 09:26 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,830 times
Ha No I'm not moving lol. I care about the whole country! Yeah, You guys do have a nice skyline.. But that office vacancy isn't acceptable.. Has it always been like that?

Old 07-30-2009, 12:55 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,539 times
^
No, the high rate developed over the past 20 years, and is due to bank consolidations and a corporate HQ leaving town and vacating their skyscraper, plus some overbuilding in the 1980s/early 1990s.

20% is for one "class A" building. The downtown/center city rate is around 30% or so based on some market studies. Ive seen some studes putting the rate in the 30%-40% range.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:46 PM

I do think that some of the comments made about office space are quite logical. However, the building I suggested isn't for mixed use purposes such as office space or retail or restaurant. The building I suggested is strictly for residential purposes. I think with a new wave of residential opportunites downtown, it could really drive downtown in a whole new direction. People obviously are already willing to live downtown, and since the overall (U.S. trends) residential markets are moving in a more new urbanist direction, I think it is safe to say that Dayton could do excellent by offering residential choices downtown. Dayton isn't a big city so it isn't a completely different lifestyle from the suburbs. So many that live in the suburbs that would consider moving downtown might not look at it so negatively. If you like the suburban shopping the drive to anything big is within fifteen minutes. If you don't want a car the bus branches out all over. Downtown isn't huge so everything is within simple walking distance. It really makes sense. I think since alot of people like the urban atmosphere and alot of builders are starting to build that way even in the suburbs (The Greene in Beavercreek, Singing Ridge in Vandalia, Village of North Clayton in Clayton) Dayton wouldn't do too bad itself. I would have to say that if a residential building was a skyscraper it would hopefully place itself somewhere in between Tech Town, Riverscape, and the actual CBD. That way the Oregon District, the ball field, and most of the downtown ammentities are only a footstep away.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:58 PM

Any ideas of what a good residential skyscraper would be in downtown Dayton?

Post em'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton