Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 48,039 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving out to Dayton from Washington State to attend the University of Dayton. If anyone has some insight as to a decent area to live (rent), I would greatly appreciate it.

I have looked around on-line and there seems to be a couple of cool, restored lofts/apartments in towndown, would anyone recommend those, or is living in Kettering or an outside suburb the way to go? Is there any place close to U of D that is nice? I don't think I will have a lot of free time so a comfortable, short commute area would be ideal.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 10-13-2008 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: You meant "insight" not "incite"; we already have more than enough posts that "incite"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 09:17 AM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
Dayton has some great suburbs. Kettering, Englewood, Vandalia, and Trotwood are the first that come to mind. I know downtown Dayton has alot of places there too. Overall i think you will like Dayton. I would look into the outlying suburbs for a place. The suburbs are really nice.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 38,563 times
Hi. I am Migdalia Torres. I am moving for Dayton Ohio and i wants to know how is the live there if i made a good decision. I wants to know about great areas, jobs, schools because i have a child (5 years old). Because a friend told that Dayton have a high level in crimes and there no have jobs. I'm Pharmacy Technician and i wants know i could find a job for this position there.
Thanks for ur help.
Migdalia Torres

Old 10-07-2008, 11:27 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,235 times
bubcog- South park is the only way to go for you and your wife. Great area right by UD, practically on campus, strong sense of community there and a large youth population. However, there may be some houses strung around the "ghetto" (UD's student neighborhood) that may be a good option, as well.

Migdalia Torres- Yes, I was just recntly readinig about how the Dayton area lacked pharmacists and others in the pharmacy field, believe it or not. I'm taking a guess that you are hispanic, so I would move to the northeastern Huber Heights/Riverside section of town, or Kettering, if I were you because those would be some of Dayton's regions with the largest hispanic populations.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:18 PM

8 posts, read 63,884 times
Depends if you're undergrad, graduate student, or staff.

Oakwood is just south of U.D. and is beautiful homes with immaculate landscaping. It actually has a fair number of apartments (usually 4 unit buildings) and is an easy bus ride through U.D. It is pretty rich, white and snobby, but it is close to U.D. Top notch school system.

Another possibility directly to the north of U.D. is the Oregon District, Dayton's oldest residential neighborhood. It is now many beautifully restored homes with a great little strip of restaurants on East Fifth.

Those probably won't cut it if you're a student or early 20-something grad student. South Park is close by and not too bad. Houses are smaller and close together. Lot of homesteaders who bought houses cheap and are active in their neighborhoods.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
There is a little neighborhood just east of UD, east on Stewart Street, between Woodland Cemetary & UD that might be good, older area but some apartments and rental houses. Sort of a neat area and I think its sort of a student area but not well-known as such.

Another area is off of Irving Ave, just to the east of UD, but closer to Wilmington and Shroyer, another area with apartments, and I think it has a student market too. There is an older apartment district at Shroyer and Patterson that might be worth looking at.

The Oakwood apartment area, between Shroyer and Far Hills is actually good choice as this is a very walkable area, actually one of the few areas in Dayton where you can walk to a supermarket (Dorothy Lane Market), and has been said, on a bus line.

I'm thinking South Park and Oregon might be tight for rentals, and a bit high. Downtown lofts seem a bit high, too, if yr in grad school (depends on yr income).

I don't think you need to go too far out to find decent rentals, as there seem to be a lot in the UD vicinity, the areas I mentioned.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
For Migdelena, I think Huber Heights would be safer than Riverside. Kettering is also quite safe, and has good schools. Though parts are wealthy there are some affordable rentals and smaller houses, too, if you want to buy. So you can have an affordable place to live, but good schools for your kid.

Dayton itself I would avoid if you have a school age child as the school system is pretty bad.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:51 PM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubcoug View Post
My wife and I are moving out to Dayton from Washington State to attend the University of Dayton. If anyone has some incite as to a decent area to live (rent), I would greatly appreciate it.

I have looked around on-line and there seems to be a couple of cool, restored lofts/apartments in towndown, would anyone recommend those, or is living in Kettering or an outside suburb the way to go? Is there any place close to U of D that is nice? I don't think I will have a lot of free time so a comfortable, short commute area would be ideal.

Thanks for your help.
Hey bubcoug,
I'm from the area originally and also worked for the city for many years. There are several nice places within a 10-30 minute drive from UD. It really depends on the kind of housing you want and whether you have kids. Personally, I would not live downtown in one of the lofts. They are very nice but the downtown area see's a little to much crime for my taste. A lot of vagrants hang out at the bus stops right by the lofts.

Oakwood is easily the nicest but also the most expensive overall. It is mostly an older, affluent area. Good schools. 5-15 minute drive to UD

Dayton's UD area has some nice homes but you will be on the border of Oakwood and the UD frat houses. (Brown and Irving Streets)

Centerville is south of both UD and Oakwood and has a large pool of nice suburban homes and apartments. You would be within a 15-30 minute drive to UD, depending on what part you live in. It is a straight shot up SR 48 (Far Hills Ave) to UD. Excellant school system.

Kettering has some nice areas and a few trashy ones. The northern-most part of Kettering, bordering Oakwood is nice. 15-30 minute drive to UD, depending on the area you live in.

Bellbrook has nice, modest homes as well as pricey ones but you will be getting a little further out from UD

Beavercreek also has plenty of moderate - expensive priced homes as well as Bellbrook but would be a 20-35 minute drive to UD.

Personally, I would avoid the city of Dayton and Trotwood. High crime, too many trashy areas.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:01 PM
af1

2 posts, read 44,684 times
Default Need advise for a place to live

Hello readers,

My wife and I will be moving to the Dayton, OH area the last week of Dec. This was a sudden move, which did not allow me enough time to come inspect the area, hence the need for your advise.

We are moving from an upscale area and will love to remain in a very like neighborhood, if at all possible. I will be working near the Dayton-Wright Airport, and I would not mind a 25-30 commute to and from work. I prefer a newer area, but as long as it is in a safe neighborhood, anything nice will work.
I am a bit particular, so this are some of the most important things to me.
-Most of the population need to be white, or of European decent.
-Low crime (auto, ID, home theft and homicide!! =D )
-Not in downtown or near college/frat or partying scene.

School system is not a problem, as we have a child on the way, who will be home-schooled.

I would greatly appreciate any advise!

Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
First, I need to know if you mean the International Airport north of Dayton or Wright Patterson Air Force Base as the place near your office. This would help because these areas are on two different sides of town and Dayton and its suburbs tend to sprawl a ton. I'm assuming Wright Patterson here. Correct me if I am wrong. The three wealthy areas that come to mind first are these:

Oakwood: See above posts on this city. Older but beautiful housing stock. By far the richest Dayton suburb. Also some of the highest local taxes.

Centerville/Washington Township:Again, see above posts. Housing can range from 60's ranches to huge McMansions. The new money of Dayton (as opposed to Oakwood's old).

Beavercreek/Bellbrook/Sugarcreek Township:Closest to Wright Patterson and many of the officers and white collar defense contractors chose to live here. Again, mostly same variety of housing stock as Centerville/Washington Twp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton