U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:05 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times

Advertisements

Dayton is a highly segregated town. You have nice areas like Beavercreek, Vandalia, JKettering, Miamisburg, Centerville, etc...then you have shady parts of the region. Thus, what occurs is the concentration of poverty. This same effect happens in many cities across the nation. Inner Detroit is extremely dangerous, yet it's suburbs are very nice.

A lack of jobs is part of the problem. The economy can't support it's base. When this occurs, theoretically, people seek alternative means of support (crime).

Dayton may only have 200k people, but the metro area nearly 900k, with Dayton being the largest city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,345,412 times
^The metro area is roughly 950k, depending on what you include.

For instance, many sections of Butler and Warren county really do identify with Dayton and its MSA, such as Springboro and Middletown (where I'm from), but are statistically categorized with Cincinnati. In actuality, a seperate MSA for Dayton makes little sense.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 AM

296 posts, read 729,133 times
I think one of the key factors that is being overlooked here is interstates 70/75. A lot of drugs are transported over these roads and Dayton is one of the stops along the way. Yes, poverty, job losses, etc. but the interstates, as good as they are for legitimate businesses are just as good for the drug trade.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 PM

^Interesting point, but I can definitely see that being a factor. However, it is kinda rare to hear about drug busts along the highways, though.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:20 PM

389 posts, read 888,021 times
Dayton should just tear down the inner city and start over.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
^Interesting point, but I can definitely see that being a factor. However, it is kinda rare to hear about drug busts along the highways, though.
Daytonnatian, I can GUARANTEE that if you're driving a vehicle with out-of-state plates (especially from the Southwest) and the cops have ANY probable cause to pull you over, they will. I run I-70 frequently and see it on a regular basis. Drugs are found on a semi-regular basis. In fact, there was just an item about two men in a big truck being arrested with a large quantity of pot in their trailer.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:11 AM

^Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!

I was just going by what I know about crime stuff from reading the DDN every day.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:54 AM

116 posts, read 333,231 times
Having lived in and around Chicago as well as St. Petersburg, FL (and having visited countless others) - I can say that I don't find Dayton to be any more dangerous than any other urban city. And having lived in Downtown Dayton for almost 6 years, I've never experienced the supposed crime that keeps so many suburbanites scared to come downtown. My wife and I are comfortable enough to live here while raising a two year old daughter. And yes, we are fortunate to have the means to live anywhere in the region we want.

That said - yes, there are definitely bad parts of town - just like any other city. The statistics are more telling of how the population here is shrinking than how bad the crime is getting. But I don't doubt that there are many neighborhoods in Dayton that are not safe. The fact that the majority of violent crime happens between known acquaintances (drug deals, gangs, etc.) as opposed to random crime is probably of little consolation to those who are surrounded by that violence daily. But again - every urban city in America has these neighborhoods, and many are much worse.

The difference between Dayton and most other urban cities is that the wealthy folks have all moved out long ago - there is no "high society" that lives in the city-proper. Yes, there are upper-middle class people (mostly living in a few historic districts and downtown) but they are vastly outnumbered by those living in or just above the poverty level in other parts of the city. The statistics, accordingly, paint the picture of a low-income city. And as racially segregated as this city AND region are, we are also just as economically segregated.

The other side of this is the attitude of those living in the burbs. Dayton is hardly the only city in the country that has suburbs full of anti-city people (yes, even places like Chicago have this). But the anti-city attitude in the Dayton Region is especially troubling, as it also comes with a severe disconnection. Many of the same anti-city folks are the same people who rarely if ever step foot in the city and base their judgement on the "if it bleeds it leads" local news media. They see reporters nightly in front of the courthouse in downtown and lazily assume that the crime is actually happening downtown. They know little about the different sections and neighborhoods in the city and just assume that the entire city is the same. And many have simply given up on the city.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:56 PM

141 posts, read 403,723 times
Dayton is not that bad.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Couldn't agree with you more, Billy from Dayton! (Actually, the REAL reason I'm afraid to come downtown is that I'm afraid that Natasha Williams from Channel 7 will run into my car...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton