U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 PM

296 posts, read 729,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
Dayton should just tear down the inner city and start over.
I am hesitant to dignify this with a response, but here goes.

Dayton, in my opinion, is extremely under-appreciated. Whether this is from lousy city leadership or some other reason I am unsure. It is likely a combination of many factors - more than I can intelligently discuss.

Given it's rich history, cultural heritage, spirit of invention and innovation, old-style architecture, many metro parks, affordibility, blah, etc.. I think you are like many of the " Dayton bashers" on this forum. It's likely you spend too much time in the suburbs listening to whatever crime/drama headlines the local media can drum up, all the while assuming you have a bead on the city of Dayton.

Maybe you should come in for a visit sometime and see what life in Dayton is really like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 10:36 PM

296 posts, read 729,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
^Interesting point, but I can definitely see that being a factor. However, it is kinda rare to hear about drug busts along the highways, though.
Just because very few criminals are caught doesn't mean it's not a major factor. You may wanna ask yourself exactly how the drugs arrive in Dayton. Seems that boats are out and air planes may have a harder time bringing it in. But if you know how to hide it in vehicles and don't give probable cause for a stop you can likely sneak by undetected.

I used to live near Richmond VA in the late 80s. At the time Richmond had one of the highest murder rates in the country due in part to interstate 95 running right through the center of downtown. Miami to New York and lots of places in between. At the time it was very common for folks running drugs from Miami to NYC to stop in Richmond where gun laws were very lax, and dare I say more constitutional. I digress. People would trade drugs for guns and sell the guns further north in Maryland, Deleware, Jersey, and New York. This type of illicit business has a major impact on criminal activity on many levels.

Im not saying that 70/75 are why crime is perceived to be high in Dayton, I am saying it is likely a major contributing factor.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:16 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,877,631 times
Quote:
Dayton should just tear down the inner city and start over.
...that seems to be the plan.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM

104 posts, read 271,491 times
Dayton, like every other city, has pockets of concentrated crime and yes, most of it is centered around drugs in low income areas. You go to any city and ask people there what areas to avoid, and you'll get a list. I think the problem is so many Daytonians have never lived anywhere else, so this is all they know, and think it's only this way in Dayton. No true.

Of course, the other part of the equation is what a neighborhood will tolerate from others. Citizens have to be willing to report suspicious behavior, call the police and provide witness statements when they see something happen, press charges if applicable and be willing to attend court hearings. In my experience, the neighborhoods with the most crime are the ones where people aren't willing to cooperate with the Police. The strongest neighborhoods are the ones with the most engaged neighbors.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 AM

104 posts, read 271,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willabee View Post
I am hesitant to dignify this with a response, but here goes.

Maybe you should come in for a visit sometime and see what life in Dayton is really like.
and I have the perfect opportunity for you. On October 2nd, we're holding an Urban Excursion from 7:00-8:30 PM as part of First Friday. It's part scavenger hunt, part Amazing Race - but we'll give hints to find a lot of hidden gems in Dayton that you might not otherwise see.

For details go to www.daytonCREATE.org. The deadline for registration is Monday the 28th. But it's a great chance to see downtown Dayton first hand and form an opinion based on your personal experience rather than what you hear on blogs, TV, radio or in the paper.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,501,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 215GUY View Post
I moved here from Philly, aka killadephia. Dayton have its bad parts but trust me other places got it alot worse

I moved here from Philly as well. Trust me, perceptions and media over-hype crime in Ohio a lot. There are cities out there much worse than Dayton. Cities that I have been in on business and have felt very unsafe in over areas that maybe considered dangerous in Dayton.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:34 PM

389 posts, read 888,021 times
If you have witnessed FIVE deaths then you need to either crack down on some people OR MOVE. That is not good when crap like that goes on. I wish I could tell you to raise money and start a community effort to lower crime, but I don't know if you would want to do that. If you care about it that much, though, maybe you should try and do something about it rather than just sit and witness stuff all the time.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:42 PM

389 posts, read 888,021 times
The problem with Dayton- a lot of unemployed uneducated people with easy access to drugs which therefore, because of all of these factors, contributes to growth in crime. If you really want to stop crime. Pump up education. Scare druggies by allowing more cops and more local restrictions. And then offer jobs to people in the suburbs with a good heavily guarded free transportation system supported by the suburbs. If we could get that, Dayton's crime would see a quick drop. However... I don't know if Dayton has the money for bringing alot stronger education. I don't know if they have the money to hirer new cops and get new faster technologies. I don't know if the suburbanites would be willing to pay into the "transportation" idea. It would be a big risk, but it would ultimately bring more jobs into the suburbs based on a retail/ residential market and would bring more corporate/ offices downtown. It would lower crime. It would raise education. The city would be more green because of carpooling and bussing. Alot of good things could come out of it. But the problem is, and always will be....money. If I was a billionaire I would personally use it to help the city out, build more churches and private schools, and offer more programs for people to work harder and have community morals. But is it possible???

Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,877,631 times
Quote:
There are cities out there much worse than Dayton. Cities that I have been in on business and have felt very unsafe in over areas that maybe considered dangerous in Dayton.
...for me this would be parts of Balitmore.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:39 AM

2,786 posts, read 5,501,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
...for me this would be parts of Balitmore.
Or I could go with even smaller metro areas like Tucson, Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton