U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 8,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Daytonnatian, I can GUARANTEE that if you're driving a vehicle with out-of-state plates (especially from the Southwest) and the cops have ANY probable cause to pull you over, they will. I run I-70 frequently and see it on a regular basis. Drugs are found on a semi-regular basis. In fact, there was just an item about two men in a big truck being arrested with a large quantity of pot in their trailer.
On a lighter note, Chief:
It's good to know that big-rig drivers are busted on a semi regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 10:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Crime has even reached into our nice upscale Washington Twp. subdivision... Just "roam the neighborhood at night and steal from unlocked cars" kinda nonsense. A guy was arrested last week after he was let out on parole and had his girlfriend drive him around to steal stuff from unlocked vehicles... Guess it still "hard times' in the rest of the Dayton area...

Old 10-11-2009, 09:02 AM

389 posts, read 888,021 times
I'm just gonna say Chicago has got it REALLY bad and as long as Ohio's cities remain the way the are or possibly less and crime rates, we're good compared to Chicago! Did you know that for every American casualty in the middle east, thirty people have been murdered in Chicago since 2002. Thats kinda scary to think about.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:40 PM

116 posts, read 333,231 times
^ out of curiosity, do crime statistics like those you just cited for Chicago affect your desire or willingness to visit such a city? Or better yet, affect whether or not you'd live in such a city?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 13,290 times
the crime rate is up because of lack of education. its also got to do with the household they was raise in too. young people need their mother and father to be there to show them the way. teachers act like they doesn't care about their especially young black people. so kid turn to the street for love, money, and sex i just graduated from arise academy at the age of sixteen and sum of my class mates were like 22 still didn't graduate because of the ogt and drop out. i remember there was on the news that these young boys from dunbar robbed an old lady beause they said school was not being attending that day. we need people who care about the children cause we are the one who are dying. i live in dayton my whole life and the closer they are the quicker they are the ones who are to go. i hate when people complain but doesn't find a way to solve it.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:28 PM

389 posts, read 888,021 times
I still LOVE Chicago. You just have to know where you are going. Downtown is extremely nice. The problem is the inner city. I think you could almost say the same exact thing for Dayton, or most mid-sized American metros. More developments need to happen in the inner city of Dayton that improve education and safety, then that will also add to more business and other opportunites for the city. The city also needs to become more transparent and open.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 AM

3,070 posts, read 10,478,610 times
[quote=JefferyT;10974623]Getting back a bit to the thread header, about violence and violent crime in Dayton city.

I did some quick searches off this site:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Just need to say this.

Don't use that site for reliable stats. For the most part it's complete BS.

In the past I've personally checked on individual cities and their neighborhoods, some have the most dangerous rated the "safest" and vice versa. They have no clue what they're talking about.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 06:13 AM..

Old 10-29-2009, 08:15 AM

3,070 posts, read 10,478,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Why is it that Ohioans need to be consistently reminded by resident expats that our big cities are certainly no worse and mostly safer than others of comparable size in other states? As for those "statistics," Cleveland's "1 in 80 chance" can be relegated to about 5% of the neighborhoods. Take the GCMA in to account and this place is safe. I'm sure it isn't a whole lot different in Dayton.
Crimes and major crimes are all over Cleveland. If you got a list of all the neighborhoods in Cleveland there's no way you could come to that conclusion. I won't sit here and name all of them now but yes 4/5 of the eastside neighborhoods and 1/2 the westside neighborhoods are bad. It's in no way "safe", maybe a few neighborhoods like Downtown most of west park and south brooklyn, etc. are close to being safe but the rest not so much. And just so you know I've lived in Clark-Fulton (born there), Stockyards, Hough/St.Clair-Superior, and have visited or spent a large amount of time in many neighborhoods in Cleveland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
I'm just gonna say Chicago has got it REALLY bad and as long as Ohio's cities remain the way the are or possibly less and crime rates, we're good compared to Chicago! Did you know that for every American casualty in the middle east, thirty people have been murdered in Chicago since 2002. Thats kinda scary to think about.
There's many cities in Ohio with higher crime and murder rates than Chicago. Cleveland, Youngstown, Dayton, Cincinnati, East Cleveland at the least all have higher murder rates, and Akron, Lorain, Columbus and several others are close, if not higher than Chicago.

As to which cities have higher crime rates than Chicago there's many, Cleveland, Youngstown, Dayton, East Cleveland (if it was correct), Lorain (if it was correct), Canton, Springfield, Toledo, Cincinnati, etc.

That last part (if that stat is even true) is just due to Chicagos size. If any of the cities mentioned above were the size of Chicago it would be the same thing, if not worse. In 2007 Clevelands murder rate was twice Chicagos, Youngstown was even more.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:47 PM

6 posts, read 15,350 times
dayton hit 42 for the year hoping there will be 0 for 2010

Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,345,412 times
^42 murders?

That's not bad at all I thought we were getting in the 60's early on in the previous decade.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton