Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM

296 posts, read 838,702 times

Advertisements

Ya, I understand. I'm just saying to hang these issues on Dayton is really to blame Dayton for ills associated with our national economy, shriveling middle class, exported manufacturing jobs. I'm not from Dayton and I've seen Dayton's problems all over the country before reacquainting myself with them here.

I guess, to me, it's really a really small minded comment. And none of this is intended at you JefferyT. I have become a fan of yours and your work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,447 times
so im new in dayton well, oakwood, but considering i work in dayton what areas should i try to avoid besides greenwich obviously?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:38 PM

I guess that is really a subjective question. Personally, I don't avoid any areas of Dayton. I just don't wander around w/o a reason to be where I am going.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:59 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,847,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_baby52 View Post
so im new in dayton well, oakwood, but considering i work in dayton what areas should i try to avoid besides greenwich obviously?
I would never say that any area of Dayton is a "no-go". You won't be harassed in any form for the most part if you just keep to yourself and mind your own business. This goes for any city, town, or township in the nation, even rich Oakwood or new subdivisions in places like Beavercreek or Springboro.

In all areas, even the nice, new 'burbs, there are troublemakers that just want whatever it is they want, and in turn they will do whatever to get it. Avoid these people. Generally, if there's a group of young people standing in a circle on the sidewalk, it is a wise idea to not walk through it, etc.

Generally, if you don't cause problems or expect problems, they will not happen to you.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 PM

6 posts, read 19,346 times
Do avoid Dayton view,

Old 01-13-2010, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 19,346 times
Otterbein to, jus say the whole entire west side of dayton unless you need to go there, i live off the burg were there is 3 gangs along this main street
they are name after the neighborhood that surround the area so it's obvious to know were not to go

Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,431,882 times
From the article I linked upthread:

An overwhelming majority of homicides have occurred in the city’s northwest neighborhoods, especially in the Five Oaks and Dayton View areas, which have been entrenched with gangs, prostitution and drug activity.

...these are homicides, but most likely drug or domestic disupte things. IF you are passing through in a vehicle there shouldnt be an issue, though that post about the attempted car jacking on Riverside Drive was of concern...

Old 01-13-2010, 08:45 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,847,329 times
^If you do not get involved in these residents' domestic problems, I doubt you'll have a problem, either.

At one point in time quite recently (I'm thinking 2002-ish...), the DDN did a sunday news story on the "best areas of Dayton". One of the safest turned out to be Fairview, just north of Dayton View by Good Sam. As posted earlier by Jeffery on one of the Dayton threads here, Dayton View is actually a desirable neighborhood for many middle-class individuals and families. If you ever take a drive through, you'll see why.

Honestly, this area is the "diamond in the rough" in a "diamond in the rough" city. If I was living within city boundaries right now, I would move to Dayton View fo sho on Harvard Ave. Beautiful area.

So Ohio_Boy2010, I'm a lifelong resident who has spent many nights with the evening news on, and I have been a viewer. I've heard it all, and I have made my own decision over the years that Dayton View is a desirable neighborhood that offers a great quality of life. Whether you want to think the same or not is personal opinion.

btw, is that your HS grad year, Ohio_Boy? If so, we're the same age

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:10 AM

I'm not trying to bang on anyone but these areas to avoid discussions usually seem a bit silly to me.

Bank inside Kettering Kroger robbed

So does anyone here stop using the Kettering Kroger or banking at the Fifth Third inside? And really. Do anyone of us really take the crime stats to heart and stay away from the statistically high crime areas? There is so much happening in the Dayton region that is positive and worthy of discussion that it humors me that we fall into discussing the dregs of society and their handy-work. My advice to anyone wanting to "avoid" a certain part of town is to up your street I.Q. You can be victimized at any point throughout the day if you are an easy target. Criminals will routinely hit soft targets and let's face it, an area that is loaded with people who "feel" safe is about as soft as you can get. Here is a really good link where the guy who runs the site know his stuff.

This link starts on the robbery page. I hope it is useful to some.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/robbery.html

Old 03-10-2010, 12:30 AM

24 posts, read 53,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_baby52 View Post
There was only one homicide south and east of the river in Dayton and that was in Belmont at a bar where a man was in a fight and died.

Aside from the occasional car break-in or drunk, most of the city isn't that big of a deal.

This map explains it: Homicides in the greater Dayton area in 2009 (http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/data/69039.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton