Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 14,254 times

Advertisements

I live in West Dayton,Greennwhich village neighborhood known as (G.V.C) and i have witnessed 5 deaths and 10 shoot outs this last past two months. Im bout to graduate so yes i am happy to be on the verge of leaving this city.Can some one tell me why our murder rate is so high but our population is not more than 200k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 02:16 PM

141 posts, read 479,892 times
Lack of jobs

Old 09-15-2009, 04:11 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,860,995 times
^The westside is rough, I have personal experience from working there. But out of the *cough* 155k that live in the city proper, the vast majority are good, hard-working, wonderful people.

However, if you look at the stats, you'll see that Dayton isn't too far out of line with the rest of the metro areas in the state and nation. You can also see all of the success that has come from the city, from old examples like the Wright Brothers or Erma Bombeck to new examples like exiting city manager Rashad Young. Also, it should be considered that Dayton still hosts a metro area about half the size of any of the 3-C's standing alone, is part of the state's largest if combined with Cincy, and has always had considerable pull and influence, making it prone to suffering urban problems common in cities twice or quadruple its size.

So, to sum it up, you can't just say "why is _______ so dangerous" without having some legitimate facts to back up how it is any different than comparable cities.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:21 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
The same reason why places like Cleveland and Youngstown are so dangerous.

The city has suffered major job losses, mainly in manufacturing. That along with the suburbanization of our society has led to much of Dayton to become abandoned and blighted to a degree. Most of the wealthy and middle class have left the city for the suburbs. This leads to the city having a large number of poor and unemployed people and they have to make money some way which leads to doing illegal activities like drug dealing to feed themselves and their families. Also the urban "ghetto" culture some are a part of is greedy and violent so you see a lot of crimes like robberies, shootings and murders happening.

How dangerous a city is considered and how high the crime rate is mostly depends on how much of the above is going on in the city and to what degree. In Daytons case it happens to be a high amount so that's why it's so dangerous. The same thing goes on in many cities across the US though that have fallen victim of it. Look at Cleveland, Detroit, Youngstown, St. Louis, Camden NJ, Newark, Oakland, etc.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 14,254 times
Trust me i turn around and im on the other end of the city,its little but yeah so much commotion.And they indeed do pack a lot of assault rifles and foriegn riffles trust me and always having shoot outs i know its like any other urban city in ohio.I lived in over the rine in the nati,Winton terrace and in Columbus all over the east and it dont compare to the wanna-be hood wars in this little city my opinion.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:43 PM

I moved here from Philly, aka killadephia. Dayton have its bad parts but trust me other places got it alot worse

Old 09-16-2009, 05:20 AM

235 posts, read 434,447 times
Dayton is no worse than any other major city. I work in the Cincy area, and listen to their news. They have at least 5-6 shootings or violent deaths a week, it seems. And,, most of those here are over bad drug deals.
You will find during your travels to other cities and states, Dayton is not so bad after all. Good luck in whatever you do.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lived here forever View Post
dayton is no worse than any other major city. I work in the cincy area, and listen to their news. They have at least 5-6 shootings or violent deaths a week, it seems. And,, most of those here are over bad drug deals.
You will find during your travels to other cities and states, dayton is not so bad after all. Good luck in whatever you do.
thank you people in dayton dont no how good they got here

Old 09-16-2009, 11:42 AM

38 posts, read 86,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
...This leads to the city having a large number of poor and unemployed people and they have to make money some way which leads to doing illegal activities like drug dealing to feed themselves and their families...
And 28" rims! Hollaaaaaah!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianewk View Post
And 28" rims! Hollaaaaaah!!!
Sad but true, that's why I had to add the "greedy" part in the next sentence.

I'm from the "hood" (in Cleveland and Lorain) and growing up I always had more respect for the people who did these illegal activities because they had to. For a lot of people there's almost literally no other way to make money. Some people are greedy to begin with and use this money to buy all the newest clothes, cars, rims and things and others become that way when the money really starts coming in, it's addictive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton