Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:31 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willabee View Post

...All this to say I think Dayton and surrounding communities would improve things for everyone to continue working together to a greater degree. Even merge and annex. Obviously, we need leadership to change it's ways, or just leadership change in Dayton for this to be palatable to some of the better managed suburbs in the Dayton metro area...
Willabee, I'll have to admit, fair or not, we immediately ruled out the City of Dayton as a place to live when we arrived. In retrospect, maybe that wasn't quite fair. Yes, Dayton has many of the problems ANY city has; crime, poorly-performing schools, declining tax base, etc.

We were naturally drawn to the 'burbs for the usual reasons; higher real estate values, safer neighborhoods, yada yada.

But I truly believe that we're ALL in this together; we out in the 'burbs must help support Dayton if we ALL are to survive. Yes, I'm proud of Washington Twp.'s fire department. And the thought of combining resources with DAYTON just seemed WRONG! But at what point can we no longer afford the fire levies to do our own thing out here. Yes, there's some "political" waters that must be calmed in the process. But regionalization really is in our future. Montgomery Co. Sheriff's deputies do just as good as a job in the township as Centerville's own police department does in Centerville.

Now if I just had the cures for:
- Parental apathy
- Students that fail the schools
- Fear of reporting crime

and SO many other social problems...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 AM

296 posts, read 842,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Now if I just had the cures for:
- Parental apathy
- Students that fail the schools
- Fear of reporting crime
and SO many other social problems...
These are tough issues and seem to come down to individuals leading the way by example and encouraging others to do the same. In spite of the best efforts there will always be those in our communities who are just selfish and apathetic.

I guess I put a little extra push for Dayton in my posts because I feel it is extremely under-valued. And of course this is a Dayton forum... lol...!! But I'm not the anti-suburb guy. My wife nearly had me in one of the suburbs when we we were house shopping. In the process I found a home in an area that I really loved and kept working on her. She loves it here now.

With that said, Dayton would not be Dayton without it's suburbs. Many of them are desirable and unique. There are a lot of hurdles for any type of regionalization to occur. In the end those hurdles may be obliterated by honest need to survive and thrive as a community. In other words lack of money may force the issue.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
Why do I live in "Dayton" (as in this particular part of the USA?)

1. Offered a promotion & pay raise if I transfered here (from California)

2. Close to kin in Kentucky

Why do I live in my suburb (Washington Township)

1. No city income tax

2. quick/no-hassle commute

3. convenient shopping w. later hours

4. safe

5. white collar/college educated community

6. closer to Cincinnati and Kentucky

Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Why do I live in "Dayton" (as in this particular part of the USA?)

1. Offered a promotion & pay raise if I transfered here (from California)

2. Close to kin in Kentucky

Why do I live in my suburb (Washington Township)

1. No city income tax

2. quick/no-hassle commute

3. convenient shopping w. later hours

4. safe

5. white collar/college educated community

6. closer to Cincinnati and Kentucky
I gotta say you have some pretty convincing reason for Washington Township. Glad you are living in the Dayton metro area.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Why do I live where I live? Apt complex near the base. Moved here 2.5 years ago for job at the base. I'm a civilian but this base is closer to my elderly mother, (4 vs. 11 hours) who started needing help, than my last base. Rented till I sold my other house (lost $) and looked for that elusive little place in the country. Was on a quick trip and picked a place close to work. I must admit I do love my short commute and the apt complex has been pretty good so far for a quick pick. It is very close to all the shopping I require.
Couldn't find the type property I was looking for, its in limited supply everywhere not just Dayton.
Now have become reluctant to buy realizing that since I will want to leave in 7 years max (nothing against Dayton but I'm not from here and I'm not going to retire here), financially buying isnt a good idea AND I just don't want to buy unless I find what I really want. Can't change certain things, they are what they are. (I will vent a little and say that ranches here are almost always on slabs which is just so confounding. Where I grew up almost all houses are on basements). So here I live, unhappy about it but until I get utterly sick of this compromise I don't see a reason for trading it in for a different more exensive or inconvient compromise.

Some may disagree but I feel that Wright Patt has become the one of the largest economic engines for the area.
Because of that it is shifting the Metro region to the eastern suburbs.
Military types, because they move a lot, tend to stick together, in areas. The first thing they look at is schools, and other military in the neighborhood which makes resale less risky. The also tend to like new housing/developments. WP is a little unique because it has a lot of civilians, more than many other bases. Many of those civilians are native so they may be scattered more throughout Dayton but I suspect not that many live in Dayton proper. Many of the civilians were military at one time and when they come back they also pick areas with the best schools.
Another thing us I don't run into that many military types that are from truly urban areas. Raised in safe homogenous suburbs they tend to raise their own kids in safe homogeous suburbs. I have heard of only 2 enterprising single types renting downtown but that was fun to hear.

If you want to stop the hollowing out of Dayton figuring out a way to bring in the military, whether still active or retiring is key.

Last edited by Giesela; 10-25-2009 at 09:01 AM..

Old 10-25-2009, 09:17 AM

Interesting insight on WPAFB. Thanks for sharing. I know what ya mean about ranch style homes in the area. I grew up in central Virginia and just about everyone had a basement. One thing the Dayton metro area offers is quaint country living close to just about everything you would want. Sorry to hear you can't find the home you are looking for. I believe it will be hard to attract more military into the city w/o cleaning up 3rd street since that is the gateway into the city from WPAFB. Sort of a shame because there are some really nice areas in the east end. (Belmont, Linden Heights, Saint Anne's Hill, Huffman Historic District, Eastmont, Hearthstone, Eastern Hills, etc.)

Old 01-02-2010, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,809 times
Smile Living in Huber Heights, Dayton, Vandalia, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willabee View Post
I thought I would pose this question. I for one have lived all over the country. *** Whats your story?
Sorry I am so late to the party, but i saw this thread and wanted to join in a little.

I was born in a Dayton hospital and lived in Vandalia, the north suburb right by the Dayton International Airport. I am a proud third or fourth generation Dayton-area resident.

I went to a local private school K-12, then to the University of Dayton for my undergraduate and my law degree. My mother worked on campus for years until she passed away from a sudden heart attack. My brother and his wife both have undergraduate and graduate degrees from UD, and my mom had an undergraduate degree and was on her way to a Masters. We obviously love UD.

After college, my wife, young son, and I moved south to the Kettering/Beavercreek edge. We found a small townhouse apartment that we loved. However, we soon found we were living next to a development that became The Greene. Loved that for about a year, but wanted to own a home. I wanted to get back north too.

We now live with both our kids in the northeast suburb called Huber Heights. I absolutely love it here. I was recently appointed to be a member of the City Council, and if another vacancy comes open in the next few months, I may be back again. I enjoy the short drives to most everything. There are enough "side streets" that you can get to your work without hitting major highway traffic jams. Huber Heights has fabulous schools (my son is now in 1st Grade, and my 3 year old will start in 2 years). We have great police and fire departments too.

To sum up my rambling, , I proudly live in Huber Heights, and I love neighboring cities like Vandalia. I love the University of Dayton, I enjoy downtown Dayton (I'm an attorney and practice in the courthouses down there). Huber Heights and its core city, Dayton, are wonderful places.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 PM

390 posts, read 1,047,558 times
Why do I live in Dayton? The city is possibly one of the best examples in the midwest of a well connected metro with easy access to history. No other city seems as cohesive as Dayton. If you want to go east or west we have an interstate for that. If you want to go north or south we have an interstate for that. And remarkably, it seems that the interstates almost touch all of the suburbs and conveniently center themselves around the city. Not only this, but msot of the suburbs along the highways are not modern suburban centers. (Although they do have modern ammentities) Most still have maintained their own urban districts, which is why I refrain from calling them suburbs. Places like Troy, Miamisburg, Vandalia, Brookville, Englewood, Old Butler Township, Little York(Vandalia), Union, Yellow Springs, Arcanum, New Carsisle, Tipp City, Sydney, Piqua, Xenia, Oakwood, Centerville, Germantown, Springboro, Greenville, and I'm probably missing a few, all are actual old cities, not bedroom communities that started in the 50s and 60s. The heritage of the region is what keeps me here the most. Anywhere you go, theres a story. And nestled in the middle of literally what seems to be endless options of history, is a gem. Dayton. Loaded with historical presence, architectural diversity that no city that small could ever claim, and a sense of community that no city that big could fathom. Dayton is a town full of successes, and not only will we build upon our past, I feel like the 70-00's bump in the road is now smoothing out to quite an interesting, innovative, and even far more succesful future.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 PM

104 posts, read 313,785 times
I spent the first 35 years of my life living within the City of Dayton - South Park, Shroyer Park, Walnut Hills, Belmont and Patterson Park. In 1995, my second husband and I decided to move to Beavercreek because that's were both of our businesses were located (mine catered to contractors working for WPAFB), his was close to mine because we offered a lot of support services. We were close to 35 so I could get the kids back and forth to St Anthony's and their dad's house, and quickly get to my aging parents when needed. The kids really wanted to live close to school and their friends, but my husband was leery about an older home - he's a software guy! We couldn't find a newer home the size we wanted to give the blended family the space it needed to survive.

We're in our second home in Beavercreek. This is a custom built dream home, but I want to move back to Dayton. There was no place in Dayton to build this type of home, and trust me, I looked. First and foremost, I miss the water! Secondly, I grew up around local politics and my heart is still in the City. I know (personally or by reputation) most of the elected officials in Dayton and wouldn't know the names or faces of most of them in B'Creek. Plus I love older homes with all their character and charm.

Quite honestly, because of the work I do in South Park and many of the boards I serve on, I see first hand the impact of predatory lending & subprime loans. My political views while still moderate, have definitely shifted from right to left in recent years. That makes me rather lonely here in Beavercreek, the land of no elected Democrats.

Also due to the socio-economic segration that happens in the burbs, I feel many of my suburban friends are out of touch with reality and sometimes the conversations are much more superficial. When I'm with my urban friends, we're trying to solve the problems of the urban core, trying to make Dayton a better place, trying to find ways to convince our suburban friends that there isn't gunfire on the streets and you won't get mugged by the panhandlers. Most downtown regulars know the panhandlers by name!

On a grander scale, we've been blessed to be able to travel a good deal. Yet I've never found anywhere else in the world I'd rather live. I love the climate of Southern CA, but not the traffic, cost of living or congestion. I love the warm weather of the south, but not the big bugs and humidity. Michigan is one of my favorite places, but too much snow and the places I like most are small towns and I don't know that I could live in a small town. And I love Cancun but Mexico is so unstable right now. Someone once said Dayton is a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there. I few other places as nice places to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

The region is great - my hair stylist and dentist are in Kettering, my nail lady is in Centerville, my doctor was in Dayton but retired, so now I go to one in Beavercreek. Our favorite restaurants are in Dayton (South Park Tavern, Pine Club, Coco's, Franco's, Jay's, etc) and we're there all the time, I can't wait until we live there and can walk or ride our bikes to those places.

As for the character of the region - it's small enough that you can go out and run into people you know. But it's big enough that it doesn't happen all the time. It's very easy to get tied into the community and to work on projects that will have a long term effect. People are friendly and approachable, including elected officials. I love that if I get in the car and drive for an hour, I'm in another major city, not halfway across this one. And I love being on the western edge of the time zone so it stays lighter longer. And this time of year, there are two things I really enjoy - UD Basketball (go Flyers) and that you can be on the beach in Cancun by 2pm.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 AM

tgasper, I think it's really cool you guys have a love for the city and never buried yourselves in B-crk with the attitude that it's not my problem. We need more people like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton