Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:43 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willabee View Post
Jungle Jim's (the only I know of is in the area is in Hamilton...same one?...)

Jungle Jim's is great! They have pretty much any kind of imported food you could want, within reason of course. The foods are authentic. Example, many of the foods are packaged using the characters of their respective country's native language. This can make for some "WTF is that?" moments but for me that's part of the fun. Plan some time when you go there and really mill around. Great place.
I sure it's the same one. Fairfield and Hamilton are basically on top of each other, at least that's how it looks on the maps.

I'm an avid fan of anything unique to the US, so I'm really looking forward to Jungle Jim's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:28 AM

296 posts, read 842,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I'm an avid fan of anything unique to the US, so I'm really looking forward to Jungle Jim's.
You'll have a really good time when you go there. My wife usually has some exotic recipes when we go and shops for specific items, while I usually start grabbing what seems good.

Have a great time!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,713 times
Chinese food? Mr. Lee's or China Cottage

Italian food? Mama DiSalvio's

Pizza? Personally, I love Cassano's but keep the jug of water handy. Marion's is also great.

Mexican food? El Toro is actually really good. El Meson if you actually want a real hispanic restraunt.

Burgers? Maybe I'm a little naive, but I really like Wendy's and Steak-and-Shake burgers for the few times I eat them. I'm sure there's better out there.

Subs? Milano's. No question.

Wings? Fricker's all the way.

Groceries? I love Meijer's, and Dorothy Lane Market. Kroger's great, as well.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:25 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,816 times
Chinese food? Dragon China, Mr. Lee's

Italian food? No idea. I'm still crying about Dominic's closing!

Pizza? Cassano's or Marion's. Christy's and Little York Tavern

Mexican food? El Rancho Grande

Burgers? Tanks, Five Guys

Subs? Christy's

Wings? Frickers

Groceries? Dorothy Lane Market, for meat Brunk's Butcher Shoppe

Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
Chinese food? Dragon China, Mr. Lee's

Italian food? No idea. I'm still crying about Dominic's closing!

Pizza? Cassano's or Marion's. Christy's and Little York Tavern

Mexican food? El Rancho Grande

Burgers? Tanks, Five Guys

Subs? Christy's

Wings? Frickers

Groceries? Dorothy Lane Market, for meat Brunk's Butcher Shoppe
Excellent choices, FFMOM (and All)! Our choices:

Chinese: China Cottage (although we prefer their Springboro location to the closer one in Centerville)

Italian: Despite being a national chain, Carraba's on 725 in Washington Twp. is one of our all-time favorites; AWESOME food AND service

Pizza: We really need to do some research in this area. our default: Domino's

Mexican: DEFINITELY El Rancho Grande!! Although we're right up the street from their newest Centerville location, we've also dined at their West Carrollton & Beavercreek (Fairborn?) locations. Awesome food and fast, friendly service. Even during the lunch rush, we've gotten in & out very quickly!

Burgers: Red Robin (We've been hooked since we found them out in Boise, ID. A Five Guys is opening on OH 725 next to the Sam's Club in Washington Twp. on Monday, 10/19/09. We can't wait!!! There's also a "Smashburger opening several doors down from the Jimmy John's soon. We've never heard of them but are interested enough to try 'em when they open.
(I know I'm gonna get a groan or two, but White Castle is my dirty little secret; every once in awhile, I snag a Slider or two when making my deliveries...)

Subs: Wife LOVES Penn Station, I'll go along for "domestic harmony" But we BOTH like Jimmy John's (The Shops on 725 across from the Dayton Mall in Miami Twp) We've been less-than-impressed with Milano's lately. Although I still LOVE their seafood salad...

Wings: Can't help you on this one; too little meat on them things...

Groceries: Dorothy Lane market is, for us, one of the most awesome grocery stores we've ever had the pleasure of shopping in! I beg to differ with those that say that DLM is too expensive. We buy ALL our groceries there and, with all the discounts and other perks we get as regular customers, we feel like we come out ahead of any other grocery store. Plus, we're treated like family! As for Jungle Jim's, we go down there occasionally and it's worth the trip; selection (especially for imported foods) is awesome. We like Trader Joe's, but DLM pretty much stole our hearts away.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
(I know I'm gonna get a groan or two, but White Castle is my dirty little secret; every once in awhile, I snag a Slider or two when making my deliveries...)
Man I gotta give you a rep for this!! LOL! In my younger days in NYC it was nothing to go out bar hopping/clubbing most of the night and stop by a 24 hour White Castle on the way home to polish off a half dozen slyders before turning in for the night. Yes I still love me a slyder, no groans here.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 PM

19 posts, read 51,298 times
The best chinese I've had in the area (and I eat a lot of it!!) is a tiny little take-out place in a strip-mall in Brookville. Its about 3 doors down from the Brookville Grill (which has amazing desserts). They cook to order, and it is fabulous! Very reasonably priced, too. Wish I could remember the name (DOH!)

For wings, I have to say BW3. With that being said, you get a lot more meat on an order of wings from Marco's Pizza.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:31 AM

38 posts, read 86,133 times
First of all, I've lived all over the world so I have a pretty broad perspective to draw off of.

How anyone with functioing taste buds can like Marion's Pizza is beyond me. Maybe it's because I have no nostalgic ties to it, not being from here, but my God...it has got to be the worst pizza I've ever had.

Same goes for Hot Head Burritos. I'm all for local chains but goodness. We gave it a shot and I should have known when the chips came in a frickin' sandwich bag. I took one bite of my taco and threw the entire tray away. I have had bad cafeteria food with better food that Hot Heads. Yeck!

I love you Dayton, but your taste in food is HIGHLY SUSPECT!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianewk View Post
First of all, I've lived all over the world so I have a pretty broad perspective to draw off of.

How anyone with functioing taste buds can like Marion's Pizza is beyond me. Maybe it's because I have no nostalgic ties to it, not being from here, but my God...it has got to be the worst pizza I've ever had.

Same goes for Hot Head Burritos. I'm all for local chains but goodness. We gave it a shot and I should have known when the chips came in a frickin' sandwich bag. I took one bite of my taco and threw the entire tray away. I have had bad cafeteria food with better food that Hot Heads. Yeck!

Uhhh....so what do you like?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:37 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianewk View Post

I think the Marion's thing is more a social thing than a food one. Still, I find the sausage pizza to be rather good. What I don't like is Marion's beverage set-up. Hot Heads is just ok. I like them because they are local, but chains can get the better of me sometimes. I enjoy Hot Heads and burritos every once in a while. I'm not a rather big burrito eater anyways, and cause I'm in Columbus right now, and the closest thing is a Chipotle, I get my kicks there.

In other news, Five Guys is opening next to the Fairfield Mall Chipotle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton