U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-29-2009, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,396 times
Default Dayton Paranormal Activity and Ghost Stories

I have been investigating paranormal experiences for nearly 20 years. I recently posted a blog on my site where I will begin to chronicle local Dayton ghost stories and lore.

I started off with the legend of Johnny Morehouse and his dog. If you do not know the legend, the child ghost of Johhny and his dog have been seen playing in Woodland Cemetery and around the University of Dayton campus for decades.

If you know of a local legend or have had a personal experience with the paranormal in or around Dayton, I would love to hear from you.

http://www.daytonparanormalinvestigators.com/apps/blog/
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 PM

389 posts, read 584,603 times
I don't know if you saw this week's edition of the Vandalia Drummer Newspaper, but there was a front page article about the "Spitfire Lounge and Bar." The paranormal investigator found the place to be haunted because he apparently caught some interesting sounds, movements, and footage. I hear Vandalia-Butler High School is REALLY haunted! Too bad they're tearing it down to build the new high school and new middle school. The Morton Middle School in Vandalia is nearly 125 years old.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 24,958 times
Ok. So i live in Vandalia and know of one haunted place me and my Friend came across. If you take Dixe going towrds wal-mart and keep going til you get to Bartley Rd then turn left go down this street til you see a jehovah witness building park there youll see an open Field hike to the back of those feilds and its there. This is an Old Abandon KKK House but to get to the house you must go thro one of the many barns. When you go thro the Field there will be the first White barn on your left go inside bring a light cause its pitch black. When your in the barn go to the basement of the barn there will be a Door to your RIGHT(carful theres some bats) make sure you go to the door in the right coner the door on the left leads to an old celar. Now once you've exited the barn keep walking on your left will be the house. This house is abandon there are no doors or windows and its real creepy. Just from personal experience once you enter the house your phone will lose Singal no matter where you are in the housse. Enter the house throught the Grage there are 3 stories in the house. Here is the story behind this place. In the Early 1900's a group off KKK members started their rallys here after vilently killing more than 40 ppl here the rallys finally stopped the Spirts of the killed haunt this house hopfully getting thier revenge. if you decide to exam the area there are still used ropes hanging in the barns. Ive been there about 4 times and everytime im there unexplained things have accured such as The sound of footsteps in the house and mysteruos figures in the windows of the house but the number one most crazy thing that happened was when me and my friend were there we were in one of the barns that had tractors that were old and broke down some missing engines as we walked away from the barn one of the trucks turn on the brights flickered and the engine remed as tho it was ready to race then it turns off and we hear a loud yell from the barn curious to see if someone was messing with us we go to the barn expectiong to see a friend but when we look no one was there it freaked both of us out. then a barn window shatters. We decided running wouldnt help and stayd to find an explanation but there was nothing.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 PM

Sorry dont turn left on Barty turn RIGHT

Old 11-24-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
I don't know if you saw this week's edition of the Vandalia Drummer Newspaper, but there was a front page article about the "Spitfire Lounge and Bar." The paranormal investigator found the place to be haunted because he apparently caught some interesting sounds, movements, and footage. I hear Vandalia-Butler High School is REALLY haunted! Too bad they're tearing it down to build the new high school and new middle school. The Morton Middle School in Vandalia is nearly 125 years old.
Sorry but i went to Bulter and ive even managed to pull off sleeping in there and Roaming the school all night and there is absoulty nothing haunted about that school.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:49 AM

I'm pretty sure its impossible to roaming the school at night! There are double locked doors. There are movement detectors everywhere and there are always police officers sitting in all the parking lots like every night. That would be impossible. And I never said I believe in the ghosts, theres just alot of rumors about Butler being haunted.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
I'm pretty sure its impossible to roaming the school at night! There are double locked doors. There are movement detectors everywhere and there are always police officers sitting in all the parking lots like every night. That would be impossible. And I never said I believe in the ghosts, theres just alot of rumors about Butler being haunted.
Not impossible if you never leave the school and hide in the storage room in the central gym =D and motion sensors are soooo east to beat

Old 12-04-2009, 02:31 PM

You couldn't hide in the central gym as they have used that for basketball practice and track and wrestling like every night. Even on Saturdays. There is no way you could have hidden in the central gym. Its just a big open room. nowhere to hide. Now you might be able to hide in the Student Activity Center's Gym, or the Multi-Purpose gym or even the gymnastics gym, but you couldn't hide in the central gym- too open.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:35 PM

830 posts, read 1,076,698 times
I currently live in Chicago, but I was born in Dayton and lived in Englewood, OH for 25 years, so I have some stories to share:

1. My aunt lived for a long time on Beechwood Ave in Dayton, from the late 70's until the early 90's. The house itself was over 100 years old, even at that time, and was in HORRIBLE shape (my aunt had married this guy who some what of a redneck, and this house was all they could afford, and they did not keep the house up to par). Anyway, the house ALWAYS had a creepy, weird, vibe to it...but ESPECIALLY THE BASEMENT. Going down there was REALLY scary. They had three large dogs, and the DOGS would not go down there! There was always something scary down in there...a presence...that cannot be described. Like something watching you, or following you, and it was just old and nasty down there. Well, my mom and my aunt hired a psychic to do a "reading" on the house; the psychic did the reading and afterwards, told us that it was indeed haunted, and that there had been a murder on the property, BEFORE the house was built, during the 1800's. She claimed that a priest lived in a log cabin on the same spot where the house currently stood, and was sitting in a rocking chair, when someone came up behind him, and chopped him in the head with an axe!! hahaha. Now, I dont know how real that is, I imagine that if it was real, it would be in the city records or in the paper, I dont know if there is a way to track this or research this, or not. Also, my aunt claimed several times, that objects would fly off of the table, similar to poltergeist-type of activity. Plus, while living there, my aunt and uncle had horrible financial problems, and my uncle would physically beat my aunt. I dont think he was a high-quality character to begin with, but, is it possible that the ghosts drove him crazy? I dont know; just a theory. In addition, neighbors down the street reported ghostly activity in their own homes as well (footsteps on the stairs, etc).

2. Around 1990 or 1991, my friends and I went to Martindale falls, at the northern end of the Englewood Reserve (now known as Englewood Metropark). There was an old brick silo there in the park, near the top of the falls themselves, and right off of Martindale Rd. The eroof of the silo was missing, and there was a metal ladder on the OUTSIDE of the silo, that you could climb up, and then on the inside the metal ladder continued down to the bottom of the inside. Well, being 17 or 18, and very brave, I decided to climb up the ladder, and look in. I peeked in, and, could see that someone had painted some weird artwork on the inside, so I climbed all the way down to take a look. Someone had gone in there, and painted pictures of what looked like demons or monsters, and pentagrams, and on the floor was a small firepit, with numerous animal bones arranged in weird patterns. Creepy! I know that people claim that the occult does not really exist (and yes, I know about Anton Lavey-style Satanism and that it is different than the 'evil" satanism that we read about in the paper), but someone had been in there, painted these images and was messing around with animal bones etc. Maybe just teeangers messing around. We went back there several times but never found who was doing this. About a year later we went there and found that the silo had been demolished. Not a ghost story, I know, but a fun story to tell anyway.

3. This next ghost story did not take place in Dayton, but took place in Philadelphia PA. In 2003, I was travelling for my job, and was in Philly, at a flower shop. The florist had a dog, and I asked if I could walk the dog. I walked the dog up the street, and there was this old colonial gothic church, with a cemetery right next to the sidewalk. I walked the dog up the sidewalk, and as soon as we reached the edge of the cemetery (which was right next to the sidewalk), the dog REFUSED to go any further. I even tried pulling him on his lease, but he REFUSED to walk in front of the cemetery. He refused. He planted himself in front of the cemetery and absolutely would not go any further. But as soon as I turned around to go the other way, he went with me that other way like nothing was wrong. I presume that he was able to see ghosts in the cemetery walking around (and this was in broad daylight).

Old 01-01-2010, 07:01 PM

830 posts, read 1,076,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Spy View Post
Ok. So i live in Vandalia and know of one haunted place me and my Friend came across. If you take Dixe going towrds wal-mart and keep going til you get to Bartley Rd then turn left go down this street til you see a jehovah witness building park there youll see an open Field hike to the back of those feilds and its there. This is an Old Abandon KKK House but to get to the house you must go thro one of the many barns. When you go thro the Field there will be the first White barn on your left go inside bring a light cause its pitch black. When your in the barn go to the basement of the barn there will be a Door to your RIGHT(carful theres some bats) make sure you go to the door in the right coner the door on the left leads to an old celar. Now once you've exited the barn keep walking on your left will be the house. This house is abandon there are no doors or windows and its real creepy. Just from personal experience once you enter the house your phone will lose Singal no matter where you are in the housse. Enter the house throught the Grage there are 3 stories in the house. Here is the story behind this place. In the Early 1900's a group off KKK members started their rallys here after vilently killing more than 40 ppl here the rallys finally stopped the Spirts of the killed haunt this house hopfully getting thier revenge. if you decide to exam the area there are still used ropes hanging in the barns. Ive been there about 4 times and everytime im there unexplained things have accured such as The sound of footsteps in the house and mysteruos figures in the windows of the house but the number one most crazy thing that happened was when me and my friend were there we were in one of the barns that had tractors that were old and broke down some missing engines as we walked away from the barn one of the trucks turn on the brights flickered and the engine remed as tho it was ready to race then it turns off and we hear a loud yell from the barn curious to see if someone was messing with us we go to the barn expectiong to see a friend but when we look no one was there it freaked both of us out. then a barn window shatters. We decided running wouldnt help and stayd to find an explanation but there was nothing.
I looked this up on Google maps and I see the barn, etc. I see a lot of junk that looks like old abandoned cars etc. Trespassing issues aside, I might be interested in checking this out the next time I am in Dayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton