U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-29-2009, 09:04 PM

92 posts, read 219,414 times
Default What, exactly, is The Greene?

So I'm in from Nevada, and was doing some visiting in the Dayton area last week.

I hear some good things about a restaurant called The Pasha Grill, and see that it's located in the Greene Town Center. I figure it's a shopping center.

So I get there, and the whole place is more like a small town, which was the point I'm sure, but it just really seemed strange. The lady that runs the B&B where I stayed says they're going to be adding condominiums. Does anyone else think that this is strange, or is it just me? I mean, I can understand wanting to live near things like grocery stores or hardware stores, etc., but this all seems like ritzy stores.

The whole thing had this kind of Stepford Wives vibe to it. So will people be living there? Does anyone live there now?

In a couple of days I'll be in Columbus, and I see they have an Easton Town Center. Is it similar?

Just curious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-29-2009, 09:16 PM

398 posts, read 747,341 times
Yes, people live there. There are a couple different apartment buildings there and I believe condos as well (above the shops). I personally know people who live there and they like it a lot. The are within "stumbling distance" home after a night "on the town" (the "town" being the mall they live in... LOL). Yes, it's an odd setup. But it's nice, clean, safe, and there are bars, restaurants, and shopping literally right outside your front door - and there really is no other place in Dayton where you can live like that. The apartments are VERY nice too. I venture to say they are the nicest ones anywhere around here. Probably the newest as well. I can see why people would want to live there. I can also see why it wouldn't be everyone's bowl of cherries. I think for some residents of the Greene it satisfies a longing for city life (since it's the closest you can get to living in a large metro city center around here). It's just a wee bit more exciting for the younger folks than boring 'burbs, family oriented townships, and sleepy neighborhoods.

Unread 10-30-2009, 05:23 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,153,499 times
Easton is larger at 1.3 million sqft, more ritzy with stores like Tiffany&Co., but doesn't have housing on-site. I say on-site, cause Lex Wexner, the main driver in the development behind the Easton area, owns most of the land surrounding Easton Town Center. There are some Georgian styled townhomes just across a 5-lane road and from the Barnes&Nobles that were built by the same developer, but they aren't officially within the mall and are a little more secluded as there are no stores over there.

Unread 10-30-2009, 06:20 AM

116 posts, read 207,421 times
The Greene is a shopping mall that tries to mimic a "downtown" in a Disney-sort of way. Granted, Downtown Dayton (which is where I live) continues to struggle and does not have the shopping that The Greene has, but people that prefer real urban living would still be happier in our real downtown. The Oregon District has some very good restaurants and bars, and has a much edgier feel to it that real cities have. And downtown is where all of the theaters, art galleries, independent movie theater and most entertainment activities are located; The Greene has shopping, chain restaurants and a megaplex movie theater. As Eric G. stated, The Greene is VERY Stepford Wives-ish. And it is still suburban.

The thing you have to understand about the overwhelming majority of people who live in the Dayton Region is that they are very suburban-oriented, and the city is a turn-off to a lot of people. While downtown is very safe to live in (I've lived here six years and have never had a problem, nor do I know anybody that has - and I know many people who live here), people in the burbs still think they're going to get shot or something, which is just ridiculous. But those same people would live in the burbs of any city - it is a lifestyle choice. Unfortunately Downtown Dayton, while it has a ton of potential, really can't hold a candle to bigger cities and so people that prefer urban living and can live anywhere simply live in other cities. Downtown Dayton does have a growing resident base but has a long way to go before it hits the critical mass necessary for more shopping and additional restaurants to return to the core.

I can understand the appeal of living at places like The Greene, as it does offer an alternative to the typical suburban neighborhood; a taste of urban living, if you will. The Greene has a lot of activity and many entertainment options right outside renters' doors. It is faux-urban living, which is just fine with a lot of folks that have never lived in a real city before. But for real urban-dwellers, it is not really an option. Easton in Columbus was done by the same developers and is probably Ohio's first "lifestyle mall". These are a growing trend across the country, while traditional malls are no longer being developed anywhere.

Unread 10-30-2009, 07:50 PM

20 posts, read 37,845 times
Well, Eric, I wish the GREEne was closer to us and I wish they would have more of these places. For the simple fact, I am from Germany, where you can walk around outside in every town or city and go shopping. Inside Malls are ok when the weather is bad, but when the weather is nice, there is nothing like sitting outside a restaurant or pub and just see the life outside...I would love to be able to walk to a place like that instead of having to get into my car everytime I want to go somewhere...Oh, how I miss Germany....

Unread 10-30-2009, 08:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,153,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellimel View Post
Well, Eric, I wish the GREEne was closer to us and I wish they would have more of these places. For the simple fact, I am from Germany, where you can walk around outside in every town or city and go shopping. Inside Malls are ok when the weather is bad, but when the weather is nice, there is nothing like sitting outside a restaurant or pub and just see the life outside...I would love to be able to walk to a place like that instead of having to get into my car everytime I want to go somewhere...Oh, how I miss Germany....
I think that is The Greene's weakest point, that you cannot just walk there from anywhere in Beavercreek. Heck, the only neighborhoods that have walkable access (sidewalks) are the apartment complexes off Walden and the community with the Kettering Rec in it. Everyplace else in Beavercreek needs a car to reach the place, a la I-675 cutting the mall off from the rest of town. The point is, Beavercreek, and much of the US, is very car-centric.

Still, while this is only heard second hand, I read that Mr. Steiner, who developed the concept of The Greene and Easton, wanted to buy the surrounding properties (apartments, Kmart, shopping center across the street) in order to blend the development with its surroundings. The problem came when people realized who was building at the corner and real estate prices shot through the roof.

Unread 10-30-2009, 09:32 PM

92 posts, read 219,414 times
Thanks for the replies. I suppose I can see how some people might like the idea (especially for people that like to shop a lot!)...I guess the whole thing caught me off guard because I couldn't quite place what it was exactly.

It's better than an indoor mall, and much nicer than YASM (Yet Another Strip Mall) so I suppose it has its place. The theater is nice too.

But I really liked the Oregon district, (ate at Thai Nine, that was great) and so I guess it just comes down to a personal preference thing. I'd like the idea a lot more if you could buy groceries and the basics there too though.

Unread 10-31-2009, 12:06 AM

389 posts, read 543,873 times
The Greene is a lifestyle center and an example of American's growing interest in mixed-use development, or new urbanism. This is an idea in which retail, residential, recreational, and other services along with offices, private, and public are placed in one cohesive town center. The Easton is very much like the Greene, but has more traditional architecture and more higher end stores. I would say it's at least twice as big as the Greene. It was finished in the early 2000's by development team Steiner + Associates, which is based in Columbus. The Greene,(also developed by Steiner + Associates) however, is still in the development stages and Phase II is still gaining more tenants while more Condos, rowhouses, and a Marriot Hotel are planned. Crate and Barrel as well as Saks Fifth Avenue has expressed interest in the Greene, but says they won't take tenancy until the economy gets sufficiently better. Interesting enough, Beavercreek is not the only Dayton suburb that has interest in this type of development. There are FIVE other areas interested in doing something similar to this: University of Dayton, downtown Vandalia, Village of N. Clayton, Trotwood (former Salem Mall), and Dayton Mall, west side. Surprisingly, many of Dayton's suburbs have preserved their orignal urban districts.

Unread 10-31-2009, 08:49 AM

296 posts, read 497,108 times
great post nick. Thanks.

Unread 10-31-2009, 09:40 AM

398 posts, read 747,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
The Greene is a lifestyle center and an example of American's growing interest in mixed-use development, or new urbanism. This is an idea in which retail, residential, recreational, and other services along with offices, private, and public are placed in one cohesive town center. The Easton is very much like the Greene, but has more traditional architecture and more higher end stores. I would say it's at least twice as big as the Greene. It was finished in the early 2000's by development team Steiner + Associates, which is based in Columbus. The Greene,(also developed by Steiner + Associates) however, is still in the development stages and Phase II is still gaining more tenants while more Condos, rowhouses, and a Marriot Hotel are planned. Crate and Barrel as well as Saks Fifth Avenue has expressed interest in the Greene, but says they won't take tenancy until the economy gets sufficiently better. Interesting enough, Beavercreek is not the only Dayton suburb that has interest in this type of development. There are FIVE other areas interested in doing something similar to this: University of Dayton, downtown Vandalia, Village of N. Clayton, Trotwood (former Salem Mall), and Dayton Mall, west side. Surprisingly, many of Dayton's suburbs have preserved their orignal urban districts.
That would be awesome if we got a Saks 5th Ave!!!! Now only if Nordstroms would come to Dayton...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton