U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:15 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,357,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy from Dayton View Post
Got a scoop for y'all (yes, I do know people in this town) - it should be announced on Monday or so that 600 new jobs are coming to Dayton. That is all I can say for now...
Yeah!!!!

I can hope these jobs are heading downtown???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 10:50 PM

296 posts, read 730,926 times
Quote:
Got a scoop for y'all (yes, I do know people in this town) - it should be announced on Monday or so that 600 new jobs are coming to Dayton. That is all I can say for now...
Can't wait for Monday!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 AM

I like this cause I understand there are too many chiefs in city government anyway. Too bad they aren't chopping the higher ups but maybe this will be a continuing trend. Consolidation is a good thing in some instances, especially when it keeps services intact.

Job cuts, higher fees may be coming for Dayton's rec services

Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 PM

Thought this was interesting.

$2.25M project keeps Dayton machining firm hopping

Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,357,118 times
Quote:
Was this what you were talking about?

Ohio approves tax credits for Caterpillar project near Dayton - Dayton Business Journal:

Old 12-07-2009, 05:56 PM

116 posts, read 334,074 times
^ yes, that was it. Many of us would have liked these jobs to come to the City of Dayton but this is still a big win for the county and region.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,889,912 times
Before the "We have plenty of fresh water!" angle the local boosters were touting the "90 Minute Market", meaning that Dayton was a good central location for distribution via ground transportation.

This Cat distro center seems to be a win based on this central location selling point.

Regionally, Louisville and Indianapolis are developing a reputation as emerging logistics nodes on the strength of their air freight hubs. The Dayton area has lost it's two air freight activities (Emery and DHL) so presumably it will have limited appeal as a logistics hub. Yet, it seems this area has a locational advantage for ground transport even without the air freight capability or Cat wouldnt have located here. Maybe the same for that new GM distro center in Trotwood?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Great points JefferyT. Thanks for posting them.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:43 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,942,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Before the "We have plenty of fresh water!" angle the local boosters were touting the "90 Minute Market", meaning that Dayton was a good central location for distribution via ground transportation.

This Cat distro center seems to be a win based on this central location selling point.

Regionally, Louisville and Indianapolis are developing a reputation as emerging logistics nodes on the strength of their air freight hubs. The Dayton area has lost it's two air freight activities (Emery and DHL) so presumably it will have limited appeal as a logistics hub. Yet, it seems this area has a locational advantage for ground transport even without the air freight capability or Cat wouldnt have located here. Maybe the same for that new GM distro center in Trotwood?
We're closer to Ontario, Canada than the other two and it's a straight shot up I-75!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 PM

We hear so much bad pub about Dayton Public Schools. Kudos to Stivers!!

Stivers School for the Arts: Best High Schools - USNews.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton