Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:14 PM

390 posts, read 1,044,808 times

Advertisements

Whats lagging in politics today is not only the politicians, but the people. I hear alot of people say that there should be some sort of test you should have to take to be able to vote, like a test to see if you're informed. Obviously, that is unconstitutional and although it is a good idea it is "prejudiced" against the uneducated. Even Adam Smith talked of the fact that all men have the right to vote no matter. However, I think it wouldn't be far to request that, on the ballots, the (D) or (R) or (I) isn't put next to the persons name. That way, one wouldn't be voting down the line for Rs, or Ds, but actual viewpoints. People would actually have to research what the candidate was for and know about them, either that or they wouldn't vote for someone if they we'rent sure of their political associations. It's funny how so many people stick to a party and say that, at the same time, they're a patriot of sorts. Our founding fathers wouldn't have stood by that at all. They looked at every possible answer to a situation or problem, even if they disagreed with it, and generally found a resolution amongst the ALL of the best possible answers. Parties do have pros, but people should not be affiliating themself with a party unless they can truly be educated enough about the issues so that they resemble that party's morals and beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 06:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,494,583 times
Well, what if you believe that there's not a nickel's worth of difference between the two parties. And do the parties have different morals? Or that you embrace SOME of the planks of one party's platform and SOME of the planks in the other's platform, too. AND you're an Independent??? Am I "informed" if I only listen to Fox News"? What if I ONLY listen to MSNBC??? What if I ONLY read the Wall Street Journal and not the Dayton Daily News. What if I'm a Secular Humanist; does that make me ineligible to be a "patriot"? If I don't believe in what course of action my Commander-in-Chief wants to take with the troops under his/her command, does that make me unpatriotic?

Your point is???

Old 11-29-2009, 12:38 PM

390 posts, read 1,044,808 times
yeah...you can be registered under a party but that doesn't mean that you have to agree with every issue that the party does. In other words, I agreed with you. Why are you getting angry?
wtf?

Old 11-29-2009, 06:12 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,440,158 times
That discussion at Esrati went on and on, but mention was made of a Sugarcreek controversy I forgot about, the mosque issue, which was sort of NIMBY+ xenophobia combined with legit zoning issues. Here are some blog posts on it:

"Moslems are Bad People" , and the situation was eventually worked out in compromise between the mosque and Sugarcreek officials.

Interesting case.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:21 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,440,158 times
Quote:
I do have to admit to occasionally keeping my mouth shut if I find that the people I'm talking too have radically different views than I do and seem to be rather militant about them. It's a shame but perhaps neccesary...sigh.
...I find that to be the case more in the workplace. I had the unfortunate experience of disagreeing with a coworker in my team about a political view and she came back at me pretty sarcastic and strong about something, saying "I'ts in the Constitution and you should read it sometime". (dont recall the issue). And this person is usually pretty pleasant (we talk about non political things no-problem).

So I avoid all political discussion at work, because, after all, one has to rely on one's co-workers to be co-operative. Holding differing political views is a sure way to on-the-job isolation, which is fatal if one is in a team environment.

I guess this attitude might translate to ones neighbors as in the Sugarcreek example, if one uses yard signs, T-shirts, bumper stickers (I do not).

I guess the rule here is "when in Rome do as the Romans" (or at least look like it).

Old 11-30-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
yeah...you can be registered under a party but that doesn't mean that you have to agree with every issue that the party does. In other words, I agreed with you. Why are you getting angry?
wtf?
Nickolasposter, I'm almost old enough to be your grandfather. I've been hanging around on this earth far too long to get angry while discussing politics. Even with people that don't get it. I guess what I'm losing is my ability to do is read through long-winded and disjointed posts and figure out what the poster is trying to say...

Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 AM

296 posts, read 840,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I guess what I'm losing is my ability to do is read through long-winded and disjointed posts and figure out what the poster is trying to say...
Yep, I have trouble with that too. Too bad there isn't an ignore button here...

Old 11-30-2009, 03:28 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,693,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
I had the unfortunate experience of disagreeing with a coworker in my team about a political view and she came back at me pretty sarcastic and strong about something, saying "I'ts in the Constitution and you should read it sometime".
Jeffery, you really need to show her this: Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Rotflmao!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:38 AM

MANY thanks, Ohioan58!!! As a frequent talk show listener (albeit with brain engaged) I LOVED the Onion piece! Yep, I hear LOTS of callers JUST like him, especially on overnight trucking radio. PLEASE tell me that the public doesn't think ALL truckers are of the same opinion as the majority of callers to America's Trucking Network on WLW...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 12-02-2009 at 11:55 AM..

Old 12-01-2009, 09:27 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,693,877 times
The Onion usually nails the collective gestalt of the US quite precisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton