U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:46 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,105,414 times

Advertisements

We usually don't think of suggesting places to live based on a persons politics. This post from the "Esrati" blog suggests that this might be something to consider when moving to suburban areas of Dayton. The poster is talking about her experiences after moving to suburban Sugarcreek Township (the area around Bellbrook) in Greene County. I can't vouch for the accuracy but have no reason to doubt it.

"I moved to Sugarcreek 5 yrs ago, after living in Kettering for 33 yrs. As a liberal democrat, I am a minority here. I may as well have a tattooed a Scarlet “L” on my forehead & a “kick me” sign on my back. It has been a very eye opening experience. My daughter & I are slapped in the face by others religious beliefs on a weekly basis… at public community events, at school & in our personal home. Just a few examples…

"My tires were slashed last fall on my suv in a public parking lot, with a nasty note letting me know they didn’t like my Obama bumper sticker & a list of reasons as to why I will rot in hell.

"My daughter has been harassed at school by not only the staff but by classmates, because she participated in the “Day of Silence” showing her support of the LGBT community to raise awareness of equality issues. She has been told to her face by adult male strangers they’d “like to kick her ass” when she’s worn her Obama tee shirt. I can’t imagine the hell she would go through if she were gay.

"My daughter was denied her request to watch the Presidents Address to students this past fall (on her own, during study hall, in the library, online w/headphones & with a note from her mother) yet, she was required to stay in study hall & play poker. That same day in English class she was given a homework assignment based on the required reading of “Life of Pi”, the homework sheet required her to not only write an essay about her personal religious beliefs, but her parents as well. With questions like: What religion are you? Why? What religion are your parents? Why? Do you believe in God? Why? Why Not? Do your parents? Then a conversation followed with the students going around the classroom being asked similar questions. I imagine next to her senior picture in the yearbook, her name will be omitted & it will just read “That Liberal Atheist”.

" Just 3 weeks ago when she & I waited in line for 5 hrs at the Greene County Fairgrounds to get the H1N1 shot, our line neighbor started yelling at the top of his lungs, that we were “whores” because we were democrats….a 60 yr old man publicly yelling at a 17 yr old girl in tears, that she’s a “whore” because she doesn’t agree with his politics. Who do you think the security guard gave a hard time to?

Source (http://esrati.com/?p=3765&cpage=3#comment-49227 - broken link)

Theres a book out called The Big Sort that discusses how people are geographically sorting themselves out by political/social beliefs. The book implies this is voluntary, however I wonder if the above is an example of how this works in a negative sense, where if you don't fit in or conform politically you get harrassed out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 07:42 AM

116 posts, read 354,730 times
Having family in Beavercreek (wife's side) who are hardcore conservatives, I would agree that this part of the region is predominantly Republican - and not only that, VERY anti-liberal. And while I am sure that my wife's family would never treat anybody like this no matter how much they differ politically, I'm not surprised that others there would do some of the things described by the person JefferyT quoted above. I'd call it mob mentality in a way, because the more surrounded you are by those who share your own political beliefs, the more strongly and even extreme you tend to hold those beliefs. Throw in staunch religious beliefs and a lack of experience with racial diversity and you have more examples like that.

Incidentally I really believe that of all the reasons that so many people in the suburbs have absolutely nothing to do with the city and speak of it with such disdain is because just like almost every urban city, Dayton is predominantly Democratic. Though that disdain is also due to attitudes toward the poor and minorities - but it is all interrelated.

I haven't read The Big Sort but I've read and heard a few interviews with the author and I'd agree that many places in America are experiencing this sorting effect, which IMO is very unhealthy for our society and will only lead to further polarization in this country.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:46 AM

390 posts, read 952,713 times
I am so sorry that people have treated you this way. I'm not a republican but I'm a fiscal conservative and lean towards republican beliefs and I am saddened to here people would treat you thsi way because of your political beliefs. I hope you do not percieve all republicans or conservatives in this fashion because not everyone is like that. Please remember that democrats do the very same thing to some republicans so don't feel like an outcast. Both sides go through what you go through. I am sorry to hear that people are so mean to you. I can understand, though, why the school wouldn't let your daughter watch the speech. I know I couldn't watch Bush's speech in 2004 at school and they didn't allow it for Obama either. Some schools just are like that. But again, I'm very sorry that people treated you that way and I encourage you just to challenge them by having healthy peaceful discussions rather than letting them run over you like that. I hope you find some hope in your sad situation. Just ignore the ignorance.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:17 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,414,903 times
I try to tell colleagues in other regions what Dayton and Southwest Ohio are like in terms of people's attitudes and the xenophobia here and the hate that is projected onto anyone different. They just don't get it because there is nothing like it anywhere else.

Dayton is just as much a mindless ghetto as the places where welfare idiots during Obama's election bid were saying that Obama was going to pay for their rent and their groceries.

This kind of event is why Dayton will never accumulate a class of smart people to lead it and why smart people won't move here. If you want to hire top flight engineers, managers, artists, and visionaries, they won't look twice at a place that has contemporary stories about it like this.

I intend to send this story to everyone I know in other regions so that they understand why I say the things I do about my hometown.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:10 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,347,287 times
All I can say is, "Wow." Now, having said that, I'm going to agree with Nick on the fact that Liberals in certain areas will go right back at conservatives (calling them bigots and racist just for disagreeing with a certain administration policy when there was clearly no mention of race). I went to high school in Beavercreek and I'd say a majority of the high school seniors in my class were either moderate democrat or rather liberal. Now, a majority of the classes I took were AP/Honors, so I wonder if it would have a different tilt for those in the lower level classes. Personally, I identify as a moderate conservative. It was interesting to see the political debate that occured in the classroom.

But I think this mentality is prevalent in many suburbs, not just in Dayton or Southwest Ohio for that matter. Places like suburban Phoenix can be quite conservative. But one thing they do have is diversity, though many in Scottsdale and Chandler probably have a hard time swallowing it because they associate it with all the drug crime that certain members of the Latino community bring to the area.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:59 PM

296 posts, read 772,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Dayton is just as much a mindless ghetto as the places where welfare idiots during Obama's election bid were saying that Obama was going to pay for their rent and their groceries.

This kind of event is why Dayton will never accumulate a class of smart people to lead it and why smart people won't move here. If you want to hire top flight engineers, managers, artists, and visionaries, they won't look twice at a place that has contemporary stories about it like this.
Uhh...this wasn't Dayton, it was Sugarcreek:

http://www.sugarcreektownship.com/fw/main/Home-1.html

Any blame should rest on Sugarcreek Township.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:23 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,568,267 times
Unfortunately, Idiots live EVERYWHERE. They even live in the Dayton metropolitan region.

My advice is to ignore idiots. You don't need them. You are better and smarter than them. They are fat, lazy, poor, ignorant, drooling, classless, close-minded, jelaous @ssholes. For any community, this population is at best only 10% of citizens, so take some time to spend with the better 90% and let trash like the individuals you described create their own cesspool.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:44 AM

6,351 posts, read 20,061,297 times
I feel for the person and daughter in the Esrati blog; NO ONE should be treated that way for their political beliefs. I'm frustrated that we Americans have become SO polarized and so militant about our beliefs. We should be having calm and well-thought out discourse, instead. I find myself VERY Conservative on some issues; VERY Liberal on others. And mostly middle of the road. And I've come to believe that most issues have more than two sides, depending on where you sit at the table. My assumption when we first moved to Washington Twp. was the area waould be staunchly Republican. After living here for years, I believe there are plenty of more moderate people here. I don't doubt there are folks in the Township who believe strongly enough to do and say things that were said in the blog. But our personal experience (besides our Obama campaign sign disappearing...) is that most folks at least tolerate political/social views different from their own. However, I generally don't discuss religion unless I know the other person well...

Old 11-27-2009, 09:00 AM

19 posts, read 43,996 times
Yellow Springs is also in Greene County, as are Central State and Wilberforce Universities.

It can be politically challenging living here, no question, and I can completely understand if someone decides they would rather live in a more progressive area. On the other hand, self-segregation created this environment in the first place. I've found the key is to ignore the cranks--I think they are a waste of time--and focus on getting to know reasonable people who look at things in a different way than me. My expectations are pretty low, so I'm usually more pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:03 PM

6,351 posts, read 20,061,297 times
AMEN, Chris in Ohio!!! I truly enjoy discussions with people who have different beliefs than I do AND have rationally thought out their positions instead of parroting back some talking point from their favorite party or specal interest group (and, yes, we ALL belong to at least one "special interest group"!) I do have to admit to occasionally keeping my mouth shut if I find that the people I'm talking too have radically different views than I do and seem to be rather militant about them. It's a shame but perhaps neccesary...sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton