Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 AM

32 posts, read 94,941 times

Advertisements

^^ I agree and like I said before I live downtown as well. However I hate having to goto the Greene/Fairfield/Dayton Mall just to goto a movie theater, grocery shopping isnt too inconvenient, but what about entertainment? I'm not talking about clubs and bars either. During the winter there is practically nothing to do. Yeah you have the christmas tree lighting and maybe a play or two but isn't downtown supposed to be the central hub of a city?? I agree that they do need more people before anyone can consider building anything commercial or otherwise here. I'm its not too bad but it could be so much better here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 12:52 PM

296 posts, read 838,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthredskin View Post
I'm its not too bad but it could be so much better here.
Have you set about to make it better?

Following your posts on the forums here you pretty much complain and talk about how much Dayton could be this or that. Well, guess what...it is what it is and it will be what it will be. You don't like it? Maryland will hopefully make you happy.

Seriously, if you can't find something to do in the Dayton region the problem is you.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:06 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,848,300 times
^So true. Although I HAVE seen the poster you mention have a much more positive, constructive outlook than many others. Again, that particular poster may not be a particularly good fit for the Dayton region seeing that he truly wants to move back home to Maryland, which is his/her only true "home".

Also great post back a little ways, Bill. I would give you rep. points, but I think I may be over my limit of granting rep. points to you and Willabee

Old 02-24-2010, 02:12 PM

take a look around. the problem isn't me, my interests however don't include plays and art. The problem actually is poor city planning and ect..which I'm not going to get into again. And I didn't say the Dayton region I said "downtown" as in downtown dayton. Theres plenty of things to do....in Beavercreek, Miamisburg and the surrounding areas. However like you say in my post that I'm moving. Dayton isn't the right fit for me so I am being proactive and moving. I have said some good things about dayton and im sincere in the comment about it having great potential because it really does. I have voiced my opinion in other places other than this forum. I mean there isn't any use denying the fact Dayton could be better...but like you said...it is what it is.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:40 PM

I am more aware of Dayton's problems than you know and am involved in several ways to contribute to it's improvement. There's a lot more to downtown than plays and arts. You probably aren't of age to enjoy downtown. But either way perhaps Maryland can make you happy. Thing I don't understand with people who don't like something is why on earth dwell on it, unless you have solutions? Obviously you have no solutions and lack scope and understanding as indicated by your comments that poor city planning, et al., is the problem.

Here's the kicker. The problems you see in downtown Dayton have reduplicated in cities across the US. For that matter, let's rewind 15 years or so and place you in downtonw LA. You would have the same gripes. Downtown LA was a cultural and entertainment void until a developer by the name of Eli Broad some years ago kicked downtown development into high gear. I will leave you to your own due diligence, but my point is downtowns across America have lost businesses and residents to the suburbs as early as 1956. I used to live in LA and I remember what downtown used to be like.

I am not trying get a flame war started with you but if I have to read your mostly negative views on Dayton you should expect a retort.

From here, I have nothing else to say and I really wish you the best and hope you figure out where you are happy. All the best!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 PM

First and foremost. I'm not dwelling on anything. It's simply conversation debates and opinions.

Maybe you are right. I'm 24. Maryland is my home and I love it there. I never once dissed on Dayton saying "No don't live here its awful". My point was just it wasn't right for me. That's all. This region is made for some people and not made for others and theres nothing wrong with that. It is what it is. I don't think Dayton is a bad place to live I never once said that. I know there are problems elsewhere but right now I live in Dayton. So thats why I'm addressing it. I pay my taxes, I vote, I have a job and I live downtown. I can't see how else I can contribute. I did mention a few solutions but like everyone elses it would require:

1) more residence downtown
2)a few wealthy investers
3)the support of "us" the people

My solution(s) were:

1) Build a "greene" like outdoor mall downtown either a store front on the water or close to it would be ideal.(that would bring much needed traffic and business here)
2.) Enclose courthouse square into an indoor plaza of sort and set up local shop/markets(kinda like they do sometimes in the summer)
3.) Bring more worthwhile events to the convention center...(concerts,shows..stuff like that)

I know those are all a bit far fetched but thats my idea.

I don't agree with the media on how they portray downtown. Downtown Dayton does not have alot of crime compared to other cities. I can walk down the sidewalks in the middle of the night if I choose to and not worry about getting shot, mugged or assulted. Dayton does have a beautiful landscape and many options to do things outdoors (running/walking and bike riding). Hence why I say Dayton has potential. And I have alot of friends here and hope to see Dayton doing better than when I lived here.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:34 PM

I really appreciate you post. I understand where you are coming from now. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:57 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,433,267 times
Quote:
bottom line is we need more people living downtown. We do that by converting much of our obsolete office building space to residential. Bob Shifler (who has done spectacular work with the Kuhns building - which is almost 100% occupied btw) is now shifting his efforts toward redeveloping downtown buildings into student housing for Sinclair. He's already done one on Ludlow where the Embassy restaurant is and is working with other building owners to identify other opportunities.

Third Street between St. Clair and Jefferson is another prime opportunity for apartments. There are plenty of others. The key is "affordable" market-rate apartments and condos - there is most definitely a market for them. Residential vacancy rates downtown are very low - a key indicator of demand. Despite the gloom & doom I hear on this board, there are lots of people who want to live downtown.
Like the song goes, money changes everything.

I know they are looking at 3CDC as a model for what to do downtown. 3CDC has available two impressive funding sources, the Cincinnati Equity Fund (CEF) and Cincinnati New Markets Fund (CNMF). One is made up of funding from local corporations and banks, like 5/3, US Bank, P&G, Cintas, etc. The other is also made up of local corporations and banks, but is structured around federal tax credits, so is an indirect Federal subsisdy.

Togther these funds had around $90M (c. $40M for CEF and $50M for CNMF) , which they invested in downtown projects and Over The Rhine redevelopment, and are still investing.

So it took a substantial committment from the creme de la creme of the Cincy business community to ante-up the money to make things happen (and they are executing). The city kicked in with grants and a downtown TIF.

A bit more detail on these two funds can be found here (http://www.3cdc.org/about/cef-and-cnmf/ - broken link)

The question is if there is enough capacity and committment to do something similar in Dayton.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
The question is if there is enough capacity and committment to do something similar in Dayton.
Yes there is.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:54 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,433,267 times
I guess we will see the details as this downtown plan is unveiled or unfolds.

###

Downtown is becoming less and less appealing. That Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers used to be good, but last night this guy was trying to hustle a shot off me, while I was sitting at a table with a freind ordering some food. He asked three or four times and I couldnt understand what he was asking becuase I was either not getting it or his black accent or dialect was so thick I couldnt understand him.

You know, I don't have to put up with this cr@p, people trying to bum drinks (in an aggressive way) while I'm at a table in a restaurant, talking to me from another table.
...and it's stuff like this, little incidents like this, that turn people off of downtown.

Last edited by JefferyT; 02-26-2010 at 04:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton